London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

At this point, the location. I don't think we would be able to see the cauldron itself right now. I feel like its location is staring us right in the face.

Eventually, it will probably be outside so it doesn't interfere with the T&F competition. That's one spot where the gas lines have been laid. The other place, and where it MIGHT, MIGHT being the operative word since I just got cautioned that we/(I) don't know what is going on. :rolleyes: HEAVEN FORBID we should guess or conjecture here--and probably hit on the right one!! The cauldron has to be seen. So they will probably light a lower one within the infield--and somehow the flame will be transferred either in the actual ceremony or afterwards. How many other ways can there be?

xtclvr05, relax, I just asked a question. This is a forum for healthy open discussion about cauldron theories from interested fans from all over the world.

As individuals, we may not always agree on the widely different theories put forward but respecting the right of everyone to have their say and being respectful with our replies is part of the Olympic Spirit.

Didn't mean anything by it but I'm pretty sure the flame is not going to be on the orbit and it seems like it's just wishful thinking for most. It kind of gets old when they already said it's not on the orbit and if it really is than that would make them some huge liars.

Do you mean the cauldron itself is right underneath our noses or the location of it?

could be both. he has very strange and interesting ideas and in some of the recent construction pics you never know some of the stuff we cant identify could actually be the cauldron. who knows.....

Yes, I meant a cauldron lit at the centre of the stage and then moved somewhere else after the ceremony ended

Possibly, but wouldn't a Summer Games Cauldron just burn, unmoved, for the duration of the Games from it's original, prominent position?

But isn't there's a first time for everything, especially if necessity dictates it so.

Wherever London puts its cauldron (or cauldrons, I hate to say that also), it will be out of necessity more than anything. Putting it at any of the traditional places for a cauldron like at the top of the stands or on the roof is simply impossible.

I think London will have found a way to have a specacular Heatherwick Cauldron that once at its final position during the Opening Ceremony stays rock solid as a stationary beacon for the entire Games and is also seen by most of those inside and outside the Stadium.

This piece about / interview with Heatherwick is well worth a look: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-features/9285796/Thomas-Heatherwick-Design-is-like-solving-a-crime.html

...as is this talk he gave at Ted about the Seed Catherdral:

Neither give much away about the cauldron itself, but both really affirm my faith in Heatherwick and his Studio to get this right. I know this applies to all cauldrons, but with Heatherwick in particular, I think we can expect a real synthesis between art and functionality.

He seems a genuinely charming and unassuming guy, too, quite contrary to the stereotype you might have in mind when picturing a high-profile London-based designer. He certainly wouldn't work as the cauldron designer on the Twenty-Twelve mockumentary...

Didn't mean anything by it but I'm pretty sure the flame is not going to be on the orbit and it seems like it's just wishful thinking for most. It kind of gets old when they already said it's not on the orbit and if it really is than that would make them some huge liars.

If you didn't mean anything by it, then its wise to choose your words more carefully in future and not use shouting capital letters and explanation marks at others' posts.

Ok, back to to the topic, the Olympic Park director is not the authority on which we should rule anything in or out as to where the Cauldron finally sits. This includes the monster Tower that can be seen for miles and sits right now outside the Stadium, no matter the varying opinions are on it.

He was reported to have answered the question with a vague question of his own which was "wouldn't he know where gaslines were meant to be laid?"

But I read that as being to do with the gaslines lines planned for inside the stadium and at that northern end of the stadium. That lead me to wonder if gaslines were inside that nearby monster tower (to also service the restaurant there) and if it was going to play some other kind of "relay" role to wherever the Cauldron finally burst into life on July 27.

Edited by AustralianFan

He actually responded rather clearly if you ask me:

There is one tower next to the Olympic Stadium that could solve the mystery - the ArcelorMittal Orbit, a ruby red sculpture of twisted steel that looks like a smashed rollercoaster. Except that Olympic officials say this crazy sightseeing contraption won't be it.

"No, it's not the cauldron," said Peter Tudor, the director of venues for the Olympic Park Legacy Corp. "I would know if there was a massive gas pipe inside."

The director of venues for the Olympic Park Legacy Corp - a position that must be privy to the condition of all permanent structures inside the park, including gas lines, - has said no, the Orbit won't be host to a cauldron and he would essentially know if was going to be. That's not vague. I'm taking his response as more than good enough proof to throw the Orbit out the window as the cauldron's location, in addition to all the other points that have already been laid out in this thread against it.

Anyway, does anyone know if Heatherwick had a say in where the cauldron is going and how it's being lit? As he had any previous involvement with theatrical, high drama productions?

Or did organizers just say to him, "This is where it's going, this is what it has to do, design us a cauldron please."

The director of venues for the Olympic Park Legacy Corp - a position that must be privy to the condition of all permanent structures inside the park, including gas lines, - has said no, the Orbit won't be host to a cauldron and he would essentially know if was going to be.

But is it going to play some sort of role at some point during the earlier Opening Ceremony segments or the Cauldron lighting segment itself ? (besides launching fireworks)

Edited by AustralianFan

/\/\ U r fixated on that structure, rn't u? It's like u're almost wishing it would be more than just an observation tower. I think there are legal and liability issues involved here. Whatever happens within the Oly Stadium and other LOCOG structures are probably covered by their insurance policies which would preclude pretty much having anything dangerous to do with the Orbital which is under another management, and thus, hpoefully, covered by another insurance policy.

/\/\ U r fixated on that structure, rn't u? It's like u're almost wishing it would be more than just an observation tower. I think there are legal and liability issues involved here. Whatever happens within the Oly Stadium and other LOCOG structures are probably covered by their insurance policies which would preclude pretty much having anything dangerous to do with the Orbital which is under another management, and thus, hpoefully, covered by another insurance policy.

We are all fixated on the location of the Cauldron, that's why you are here too.

Again I ask, what role will that monster eye-catching tower that, love it or loathe it, can be seen for miles around London, like the signal bonfires of the past, and standing right now outside the London 2012 Olympic Stadium play on July 27?

Will it play some sort of "relay" role in the Cauldron lighting or perhaps a tribute role to past London's past two Olympic Games? Who knows? Just asking questions

It is directly opposite where the VIPs sit after all .....

Edited by AustralianFan

We are all fixated on the location of the Cauldron, that's why you are here too.

Again I ask, what role will that monster eye-catching tower that, love it or loathe it, can be seen for miles around London, like the signal bonfires of the past, and standing right now outside the London 2012 Olympic Stadium play on July 27?

Will it play some sort of "relay" role in the Cauldron lighting or perhaps a tribute role to past London's past two Olympic Games? Who knows? Just asking questions

It is directly opposite where the VIPs sit after all .....

Yes, but you've written post after post after post after post after post about the Orbit despite the fact that:

1. Officials have said the cauldron is not on the Orbit.

2. There are no gas lines for a cauldron on the Orbit.

3. The visibility of the Orbit from inside the stadium is a bit iffy as it is rather far away and not quite tall enough.

4. There's no good space on the Orbit for a cauldron.

5. It's inconceivable to think a Heatherwick sculpture would somehow work in concert with the Orbit.

Baron is right to say you are obsessed with the Orbit as a possible location for the cauldron.

its a forum. change the channel if seeing repeat topics annoys you

Yes, but you've written post after post after post after post after post about the Orbit despite the fact that:

3. The visibility of the Orbit from inside the stadium is a bit iffy as it is rather far away and not quite tall enough.

5. It's inconceivable to think a Heatherwick sculpture would somehow work in concert with the Orbit.

Baron is right to say you are obsessed with the Orbit as a possible location for the cauldron.

Unless someone here actually works for LOCOG, then you, me and none of us have a clue as to where it will be.

Thats why this forum exists - for friendly discussion and friendly guesses.

Relax

its a forum. change the channel if seeing repeat topics annoys you

Unless someone here actually works for LOCOG, then you, me and none of us have a clue as to where it will be.

Thats why this forum exists - for friendly discussion and friendly guesses.

Relax

I'm fine with the topic and quite relaxed. I think it's pretty clear though that the cauldron is not on the Orbit. Let's move on.

Well, with this info there should be no doubts anymore that the Orbit will not hold the cauldron. I'm pretty much certain there will be a structure coming out of the middle of the stage or in the stage at the stands which will probably serve as a cauldron or a mechanism to light it.

I'm fine with the topic and quite relaxed. I think it's pretty clear though that the cauldron is not on the Orbit. Let's move on.

If you are relaxed with the topic then you would not respond in the way you did. You can move on to whatever topic you want to. The questions I posted above were around:

1. Will the existing tower structure play some sort of role at some point during the earlier Opening Ceremony segments or the Cauldron lighting segment itself, besides launching fireworks ?
  2. Or will it perhaps play some sort of "relay" role (theatrical or mechanical) in the Cauldron lighting wherever in the Park it finally sits, or perhaps a tribute role to something like London's past 2 Olympic Games (eg lighting or other effects) ?

Edited by AustralianFan

At this point, the location. I don't think we would be able to see the cauldron itself right now. I feel like its location is staring us right in the face.

It's pretty broad in that sense isn't it? Virtually any point in an aerial photo of the stadium surround could be a possible location for the cauldron...

It's pretty broad in that sense isn't it? Virtually any point in an aerial photo of the stadium surround could be a possible location for the cauldron...

yeah, so much so they may rip out the entire stadium because they had forgotten to include a cauldron... :lol:

Considering the intense scrutiny this site puts on possible cauldron locations and news, I'd say the folk here would be be better able to judge the chances than any bookie.

lol I agree Sir Rols, thats why I was hoping for good 'less informed' odds! :D

Edited by AustralianFan

Who on earth is YellowVest???

I am a happy once-a-year punter and that's only on the Melbourne Cup where I like to back a roughie .....

But I am hoping the airline I work for do pull my name out of the hat for an Olympic Charter flight to London during Games time so I can get in amongst it for 24 hours or so.

Edited by AustralianFan

AussieFan, u aren't YellowVest by any chance are you? Do I need to clue you in on who he was; and why you remind me of him? Or shall we let Sir Rols explain? YellowVest did not have a happy end in real life...

I expect he'll be on the RCMP's "watch list" for life.

And he owes us all a big juicy steak!

For those interested and in London, V&A Museum's Heatherwick Studio retrospective exhibition opens today. And this video showing a machine dispensing exhibition guides is another brilliant example of Heatherwick's genius. This guy is really one of a kind and I really think appointing him as the cauldron designer is the best choice LOCOG had ever made.

http://www.dezeen.com/2012/05/29/movie-thomas-heatherwick-at-the-va-museum/

Right. Of course we've already seen the cauldron location without knowing it from the aerial photos.