London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

^^ Yeah but this thread was also done for people trying to give their ideas or guesses or where the cauldron would be, how it would be lit, etc. :lol: So far is not filled with OFFICIAL information, which are the real spoilers. :P

But at this stage shortly before the Games, we always had the first hints for the location, look etc. of the cauldron. Afiqnadzir was already a regular visitor in the Beijing 2008 cauldron thread, so he should know that there are spoilers at this stage of time.

I think we can procure that this Ica structure is indeed a caldron if not thee caldron

And will be lit.

Ikea

Again: It's not the cauldron and it won't be lit. It's made of wood and it's also too far away from the stadium!

Sorry, I confused Afiqnadzir with Zainhasan (who was the actual regular in the Beijing 2008 cauldron thread).

Are people aware that Torino's cauldron tower had such a deep foundation? I was on Bing maps and found that the aerial images of Stadio Olimpico were taken some time not too long before the Opening Ceremony. You can see a big whole being built for what must be that cauldron's foundation:

tumblr_m4nxedMKFN1qiu78qo1_1280.png

You can go on Bing and look around for yourself here - http://binged.it/JXvtx8

If London is going to follow Torino and have a very tall cauldron tower outside the stadium, then they would have to build a similar, deep-enough hole in the ground to hold the tower's foundation. It isn't just a matter of them moving catering pods around and plonking the tower on top of the concourse. A deep enough foundation would have to be built a good time before the ceremony.

So the questions are - is it too late for a similar foundation to be built now? Or can a cauldron tower outside London's stadium be put up without so much prep-work?

• Like 1

Are people aware that Torino's cauldron tower had such a deep foundation? I was on Bing maps and found that the aerial images of Stadio Olimpico were taken some time not too long before the Opening Ceremony. You can see a big whole being built for what must be that cauldron's foundation:

tumblr_m4nxedMKFN1qiu78qo1_1280.png

You can go on Bing and look around for yourself here - http://binged.it/JXvtx8

If London is going to follow Torino and have a very tall cauldron tower outside the stadium, then they would have to build a similar, deep-enough hole in the ground to hold the tower's foundation. It isn't just a matter of them moving catering pods around and plonking the tower on top of the concourse. A deep enough foundation would have to be built a good time before the ceremony.

So the questions are - is it too late for a similar foundation to be built now? Or can a cauldron tower outside London's stadium be put up without so much prep-work?

Or one of the pod is a fake one and is hiding basements...

• Like 1

Oh, I didn't realise so far that the Torino cauldron is that close to the stadium. This picture confirms it:

olympic_stadium_turin.jpg

Interesting. That means that London's cauldron tower (if there still will be one) really can't be too far away from the stadium. That makes it even more difficult to find a possible location. I get a feeling again there won't be a cauldron tower...

It actually makes sense to have such a deep foundation -- such a tall cauldron is prone to wind and therefore has to have stability. I don't know how many weeks were left until the Torino Games when they made that Bing picture; maybe they already have a foundation prepared somewhere under London's stadium concourse. But I have difficulties imagining them tearing up parts of the finished concourse now. Torino apparently hadn't finished its concourse yet when they dug out that foundation (it looks pretty muddy around that hole there).

Yeah, I highly doubt they would tear up any more concrete on the concourse for a cauldron tower at this point. And you also have those catering pods already there looking like they aren't going to be moved around either.

I suppose they can build one without going through the trouble of building a foundation for it, but it would probably have to be supported by cables anchored to the ground around it... and that would just look terribly messy and cheap.

A cauldron tower would also have to be really, really tall. Taller than Torino's, in fact. The stadium's floodlights reach well up into the air and the cauldron would have to reach up even higher for it to look prominent enough from within the stadium.

Everything considered, I'm starting to highly doubt the cauldron tower theory. I'm going with a sculptural cauldron inside the stadium that may or may not be moved outside during the Games.

maybe the cast will construct it earlier in the show...like the way the performers build the stages in the Super Bowl half-time shows? I reckon they'll start putting it in around June 20 or thereafter. That'll give them some 5 weeks to finish and test it.

Everything considered, I'm starting to highly doubt the cauldron tower theory. I'm going with a sculptural cauldron inside the stadium that may or may not be moved outside during the Games.

Yup, it's starting to look like the cauldron will be on the sculptural variety and will be part of more of a choreographed sequence in the opening ceremony, rather than a case of *time to light the cauldron*. Maybe it will even form part of a wider opening ceremony prop.

I think the question might start to be, how is the cauldron going to go from being an integral part of the interior of the stadium on opening ceremony night, to something that can be viewed externally for the duration of the Games.

I will post where I want to thank you! I have said nothing where the cauldron will be coz I don't know here it will be!

And because you've signed an NDA as part of your volunteer performer agreement and would lose your place if you spilled the beans and were identified. Not worth the experience of a lifetime just for some temporary bragging rights here, I suspect! Even if you did only guess but happened to be right, they may take the grounds that your insider knowledge helped and boot you out anyhow. :unsure: I hadn't realised that they'd started rehearsals in the Stadium so early. I thought the big ones were still out at the 1:1 - or did you mean you've seen the ceremony layout in the 'vision-setting' video for your segment?

Or one of the pod is a fake one and is hiding basements...

I like this idea. Explain digging a big hole and putting in gas lines as part of the catering facilities and just put a pod over the top while you construct the base/foundations inside. Although since actually building it would take longer than the few hours of the Opening Ceremony, it will have to appear sooner than later.

I'm pretty sure the cauldron is already built, or being built, but is hidden underground, in the water or maybe inside the stadium! :)

There is a lot of water around the stadium but I don't think it's deep enough to hide a big cauldron.

I think the question might start to be, how is the cauldron going to go from being an integral part of the interior of the stadium on opening ceremony night, to something that can be viewed externally for the duration of the Games.

That was the sole good idea about having it on the Orbit - that it would have been visible for miles around which would be pretty cool. I prefer one that is lit and remains in situ that everyone can see all the time rather than one that gets lit in one place and then gets moved around. Would that mean presumably that they'd need to move it back into the Stadium for the Closing so that they can extinguish it publicly too?

Eeehh. These things will eventually leak. Not many people honor those burdensome NDAs. That's why Boyle & Co. are releasing more details than usual. The gas pipes were laid out only for 2 locations: inside the stadium and that spot just north of it. So, it's either one or the other...or both.

I'm new here, but I've been reading this thread since the beginning. I'm starting to believe that the London cauldron is going to be like the Vancouver cauldron, in that there will be two, one inside the stadium and one outside the stadium for the general public to see. I just have a feeling that trends are changing and that a time of multiple cauldrons is come upon us, one inside, one outside. As for where the second cauldron will be place, it's anybody's guess, unless they reveal the design/location as they did with with the 2006 cauldron in Turin.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/index.php?news=1135273263

I think that's definitely a possibility, but the two-cauldron-solution has really come out of necessity rather than following a trend. Vancouver couldn't have a flame burning inside BC Place for two weeks so another one outside was needed. While London's Olympic Stadium's roof structure is a very restricting one that dosen't really allow for a cauldron that could be seen from both inside and out.

So I think one cauldron will continue being the norm, unless otherwise necessary. At least I hope so anyway. I've always felt that having more than one cauldron dilutes from the importance and prominence of the flame itself.

And welcome! I like your avatar, Salt Lake's cauldron was one of the best.

I think that's definitely a possibility, but the two-cauldron-solution has really come out of necessity rather than following a trend. Vancouver couldn't have a flame burning inside BC Place for two weeks so another one outside was needed. While London's Olympic Stadium's roof structure is a very restricting one that dosen't really allow for a cauldron that could be seen from both inside and out.

True, the situation with Vancouver made it impossible to have a single cauldron. But after listening to all the arguments for and against the inside and outside cauldrons, that the two-cauldron idea seems [to me at least] a bit more simple and easier to facilitate.

But as the quote goes, "All good things to those who wait," so I guess we will have to wait until July 27 [two months from toddy, btw]

Thanks! The Salt Lake were the first games I ever watched so they're special to me. And the cauldron is pretty epic.

So I think one cauldron will continue being the norm, unless otherwise necessary. At least I hope so anyway. I've always felt that having more than one cauldron dilutes from the importance and prominence of the flame itself.

For the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake there were two cauldrons: Rice Eccles stadium and Medals plaza. Nagano there were two cauldrons two: Olympic stadium and biathlon venue.

So it could be a solution.

But for the Games of the Olympiad it's maybe a strange idea indeed.

From SSC someone mentioned that the cauldron will be lit by a child from the host borough (Newham). Love love the idea, it will be a very touching gesture and totally fit the motto of inspire a generation. I hope this is true, there's no protocol that said the cauldron must be lit by a prolific athlete no? SLC 2002 was lit by a bunch of firefighters

Been reported that the flame will be lit by a child ( from the host borough )and not a athlete as part of

" inspire a generation ".

Edited by kevzz

Is that just a guess, a rumour or some confirmed information? I highly doubt that it has leaked (especially not at this still quite early stage of time) who the final torch bearer will be. They probably haven't even chosen one yet.

Since you asked: No, it's not necessary to have a prolific athlete as final torch bearer. There have been unknown youth athletes, people from other fields of life and also children as final torch bearers many times in Olympic history. Children were the final torch bearers in Calgary and Albertville, for example. Tokyo had a young guy who was born at the day of the atomic bomb attack on Hiroshima. And so on...

From SSC someone mentioned that the cauldron will be lit by a child from the host borough (Newham). Love love the idea, it will be a very touching gesture and totally fit the motto of inspire a generation. I hope this is true, there's no protocol that said the cauldron must be lit by a prolific athlete no? SLC 2002 was lit by a bunch of firefighters

Been reported that the flame will be lit by a child ( from the host borough )and not a athlete as part of

SLC 2002 was lighted by the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" gold medal-winning hockey team -- not a bunch of firefighters.

In Seoul 1988, however, I believe a group of teachers had the honor. So there is precedent for non-athlete cauldron lighters, but not much. Seoul is the only semi-recent example I can think of.

That rumor was started by Jonathan Edwards. He was interviewed at Lands End at the start of the relay and when asked who should light it he said "Seb Coe, but that won't happen so maybe it will be an unknown child from the area, as it works with the inspire a generation theme".

He just threw it out there, it does work well though. Maybe Steve Redgrave passes the flame to the child, so that the Great Olympian passes on the flame to the next generation

• Like 1

The Salt Lake City cauldron was lit by the 1980 Ice Hockey Team that won over the Soviet Union, not fire fighters....

But yeah, having a child (with a sporting background) light the cauldron(s) would be a neat idea.