London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

That brown oval shape is definitely a raised stage connected by ramps if you look closely. It is slightly raised, not a lot but probably a persons height, good enough to hide props and stuff under and esp the cauldron!

Possibly, but wouldn't a Summer Games Cauldron just burn, unmoved, for the duration of the Games from it's original, prominent position?

But isn't there's a first time for everything, especially if necessity dictates it so.

Wherever London puts its cauldron (or cauldrons, I hate to say that also), it will be out of necessity more than anything. Putting it at any of the traditional places for a cauldron like at the top of the stands or on the roof is simply impossible.

2007_pan_american_games_opening_ceremony_at_maracana_05-08-11.jpg

Afiq, yes, that's one of the possible scenarios discussed. Light a cauldron w/in the infield; and then, I was thinking. doing some sort of mime that the floor cauldron will communicate to the tower cauldron...or a laser beam...and then the tower cauldron will also be lit. Altho, was it Boyle or Daldry who said that they "...would not shy away from doing something dairng." But with a cauldron not being part of the original stadium structure, the options are rather limited.

Another possible scenario: an infield cauldron will be lit. And then, like a remote-controlled flying device (like those flying toy choppers or UFOs) will then lift off from the ground-based cauldron, then fly off with a flame to light the tower cauldron if there will be one.

Afiq, yes, that's one of the possible scenarios discussed. Light a cauldron w/in the infield; and then, I was thinking. doing some sort of mime that the floor cauldron will communicate to the tower cauldron...or a laser beam...and then the tower cauldron will also be lit. Altho, was it Boyle or Daldry who said that they "...would not shy away from doing something dairng." But with a cauldron not being part of the original stadium structure, the options are rather limited.

God I hope not

Another possible scenario: an infield cauldron will be lit. And then, like a remote-controlled flying device (like those flying toy choppers or UFOs) will then lift off from the ground-based cauldron, then fly off with a flame to light the tower cauldron if there will be one.

I came across this in a book about Heatherwick's works - a conceptual design for a kinetic water mill sculpture tower in Stratford. Looks pretty interesting, reminds me of what could be like for a cauldron tower (though I expect more bravado in his cauldron design)

imageqml.jpg

imageues.jpg

Edited by kevzz

that got me thinking. the way thomas heatherwick's designs are the cauldron could be right in front of our very eyes and we just don't realize it yet.

Hi, I've been reading these forums for a long time and have finally decided to start posting. I couldn't agree more. I have just stared at some of the recent pictures of the stadium/park looking for the location of the cauldron. I have a feeling its location is right under our nose.

I came across this in a book about Heatherwick's works - a conceptual design for a kinetic water mill sculpture tower in Stratford. Looks pretty interesting, reminds me of what could be like for a cauldron tower (though I expect more bravado in his cauldron design)

imageqml.jpg

imageues.jpg

But even that is, to use a pun, a "bow" to Athens' m.o. I'd think they will go for something different as that is the unwritten rule.

that got me thinking. the way thomas heatherwick's designs are the cauldron could be right in front of our very eyes and we just don't realize it yet.

Do you mean the cauldron itself is right underneath our noses or the location of it?

imageues.jpg

LOL

That's my concept presented here...

los.jpg

insideview.jpg

los.jpg

At this point, the location. I don't think we would be able to see the cauldron itself right now. I feel like its location is staring us right in the face.

Eventually, it will probably be outside so it doesn't interfere with the T&F competition. That's one spot where the gas lines have been laid. The other place, and where it MIGHT, MIGHT being the operative word since I just got cautioned that we/(I) don't know what is going on. :rolleyes: HEAVEN FORBID we should guess or conjecture here--and probably hit on the right one!! The cauldron has to be seen. So they will probably light a lower one within the infield--and somehow the flame will be transferred either in the actual ceremony or afterwards. How many other ways can there be?

xtclvr05, relax, I just asked a question. This is a forum for healthy open discussion about cauldron theories from interested fans from all over the world.

As individuals, we may not always agree on the widely different theories put forward but respecting the right of everyone to have their say and being respectful with our replies is part of the Olympic Spirit.

Didn't mean anything by it but I'm pretty sure the flame is not going to be on the orbit and it seems like it's just wishful thinking for most. It kind of gets old when they already said it's not on the orbit and if it really is than that would make them some huge liars.

Do you mean the cauldron itself is right underneath our noses or the location of it?

could be both. he has very strange and interesting ideas and in some of the recent construction pics you never know some of the stuff we cant identify could actually be the cauldron. who knows.....

This piece about / interview with Heatherwick is well worth a look: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-features/9285796/Thomas-Heatherwick-Design-is-like-solving-a-crime.html

...as is this talk he gave at Ted about the Seed Catherdral:

Neither give much away about the cauldron itself, but both really affirm my faith in Heatherwick and his Studio to get this right. I know this applies to all cauldrons, but with Heatherwick in particular, I think we can expect a real synthesis between art and functionality.

He seems a genuinely charming and unassuming guy, too, quite contrary to the stereotype you might have in mind when picturing a high-profile London-based designer. He certainly wouldn't work as the cauldron designer on the Twenty-Twelve mockumentary...

He actually responded rather clearly if you ask me:

There is one tower next to the Olympic Stadium that could solve the mystery - the ArcelorMittal Orbit, a ruby red sculpture of twisted steel that looks like a smashed rollercoaster. Except that Olympic officials say this crazy sightseeing contraption won't be it.

"No, it's not the cauldron," said Peter Tudor, the director of venues for the Olympic Park Legacy Corp. "I would know if there was a massive gas pipe inside."

The director of venues for the Olympic Park Legacy Corp - a position that must be privy to the condition of all permanent structures inside the park, including gas lines, - has said no, the Orbit won't be host to a cauldron and he would essentially know if was going to be. That's not vague. I'm taking his response as more than good enough proof to throw the Orbit out the window as the cauldron's location, in addition to all the other points that have already been laid out in this thread against it.

Anyway, does anyone know if Heatherwick had a say in where the cauldron is going and how it's being lit? As he had any previous involvement with theatrical, high drama productions?

Or did organizers just say to him, "This is where it's going, this is what it has to do, design us a cauldron please."

/\/\ U r fixated on that structure, rn't u? It's like u're almost wishing it would be more than just an observation tower. I think there are legal and liability issues involved here. Whatever happens within the Oly Stadium and other LOCOG structures are probably covered by their insurance policies which would preclude pretty much having anything dangerous to do with the Orbital which is under another management, and thus, hpoefully, covered by another insurance policy.

We are all fixated on the location of the Cauldron, that's why you are here too.

Again I ask, what role will that monster eye-catching tower that, love it or loathe it, can be seen for miles around London, like the signal bonfires of the past, and standing right now outside the London 2012 Olympic Stadium play on July 27?

Will it play some sort of "relay" role in the Cauldron lighting or perhaps a tribute role to past London's past two Olympic Games? Who knows? Just asking questions

It is directly opposite where the VIPs sit after all .....

Yes, but you've written post after post after post after post after post about the Orbit despite the fact that:

1. Officials have said the cauldron is not on the Orbit.

2. There are no gas lines for a cauldron on the Orbit.

3. The visibility of the Orbit from inside the stadium is a bit iffy as it is rather far away and not quite tall enough.

4. There's no good space on the Orbit for a cauldron.

5. It's inconceivable to think a Heatherwick sculpture would somehow work in concert with the Orbit.

Baron is right to say you are obsessed with the Orbit as a possible location for the cauldron.

its a forum. change the channel if seeing repeat topics annoys you

Unless someone here actually works for LOCOG, then you, me and none of us have a clue as to where it will be.

Thats why this forum exists - for friendly discussion and friendly guesses.

Relax

I'm fine with the topic and quite relaxed. I think it's pretty clear though that the cauldron is not on the Orbit. Let's move on.