London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

I don't imagine the lighthing. Maybe we are creating a lot of expectatives and it could be quite simple as Vancouver did.

Can you imagine a "better" version of the lighting in Shenzhen for the Universiade FISU Games in 2011 when they set on fire the athtetic track and the fire went on till the cauldron??

I don't like the idea of a "internal" cauldron, since Olympics have to be share with everyone (Indeed, the motto is "Everyone's London 2012", so it would be counterproductive)

Remember the "selfish" cauldron in Seoul??? No man!!!!

The idea of a second or external cauldron, as in Vancouver, pleased me a lot!!!!

Not only Vancouver had a external cauldron, remember in Doha for the Asian Games, the astrolabe internal caludron and the external one in the tower next to the Califa Stadium.

During the Panamerican Games in Guadalajara, Mexico there was a second cauldron in the track field at Telmex Athletic Stadium. It was a exact copy of the "official one" which was set up on the Omnilfe Stadium's roof..

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

Didn't Seb Coe say he has seen diagrams of the "lead-up" to the lighting? This would suggest the lighting won't be one quick event like Barcelona or Torino but a longer affair like Beijing, right?

Didn't Seb Coe say he has seen diagrams of the "lead-up" to the lighting? This would suggest the lighting won't be one quick event like Barcelona or Torino but a longer affair like Beijing, right?

That's what I meant. Vancouver in comparison with Beijing was quite "simple"

i prefer internal cauldron+ external...so people who attend the ceremony can see it clear from inside the stadium and its will look nice from television on opening shot.Another tall structure beside orbit will make it look worst...

i prefer internal cauldron+ external...so people who attend the ceremony can see it clear from inside the stadium and its will look nice from television on opening shot.

I agree. I think Sydney and Athens did a great job in this regard. Two of my favorite cauldrons.

• Like 1

Distances to two Suspect Cauldron Sites

GoogeEarth have just uploaded some more imagery of the London Olympic Stadium and this first one I downloaded yesterday 22 May-12 but unfortunately even this imagery is still way out of date and nearly 2 years old, dated 27 June 2010. It nevertheless now shows the athletics track laid in the Stadium and the Orbit partially completed, unlike the previous imagery last week which showed no track laid and no Orbit Tower.

We of course know that the Stadium and the track etc has been complete for some time but the older satellite photo can be put to some good use for this thread.

It looks like Google Earth will always be out of step with the latest developments in and around the Stadium and not much use to our speculations up until the Opening Ceremony.

However, just for curiosity's sake, I used the distance measuring tool on GoogleEarth to see what the direct-line distances to two commonly discussed suspect Cauldron sites outside the Stadium were from two locations inside the Stadium, as shown in the 2nd photo -- which is the most recent photo we have of developments inside the Stadium before the lockdown. As mentioned previously, it shows a central stage and a T-shaped stage walkway and a larger stage on one side of the Stadium.

157 metres from the large stage to the left and near the start of the 100 metre straight to that point just outside the Northern end of the Stadium where the waterways converge - as mentioned in the earlier planning document

- the VIPS along the 100m straight would look left to see a Cauldron on a structure outside the Stadium at this location

234 metres from the point at the top of the "T" stage (where the walkway from the centre of the Stadium meets it) to the Orbit Tower outside the Eastern side of the Stadium and directly opposite the 100m straight and where the VIPs will sit and who would look straight ahead to see any Cauldron incorporated into the Orbit Ttower .

(266 metres from the central arena stage)

Either Cauldron site at the Northern End to the left of the VIPs or the Eastern side, directly oppsite the VIPs, are quite long distances for any flame or flame carrier to travel either across the ground or 'flying' through the air.

GoogleEarth22May12.jpg

1253274_M01-1.jpg

Edited by AustralianFan

Single Cauldrons at all Summer Games since the first Cauldron in 1928

Remember also that, unlike the WInter Olympics when sometimes more than one Cauldron has been lit, that at every single Summer Olympic Games since Amsterdam 1928 when the very first Cauldron was used, there has only ever been one Cauldron lit.

Not to say that London won't break that tradition, but my money is on one Cauldron again in 2012.

(source: IOC website)

Edited by AustralianFan

I insist in the idea od double cauldron...

I'd like to have to if Santiago gets the Panamerican Games, One in the stadium and one in downtown.

London could do so, that is the way to say "London has the games" and not only "The Olympic parks has the games", can you see???

I'd like to have to if Santiago gets the Panamerican Games, One in the stadium and one in downtown.

London could do so, that is the way to say "London has the games" and not only "The Olympic parks has the games", can you see???

The legacy of London 2012 is this massive urban park. I would think that having only one cauldron, in the park, would draw those Londoners who want to see the flame to the park and experience this redevelopment for themselves. Even if they only want to see the flame, they could see how this part of London has changed and is now a destination unto itself.

Having a cauldron in the CBD, removed from that context, just seems a bit off, at least to me. Vancouver did it, but at least the cauldron was next to one the Olympic legacies, the convention center.

• Like 1

Cauldrons at Summer Olympic Games:

AMSTERDAM 1928 - - - One Cauldron. A symbolic fire first lit at these Games.

LOS ANGELES 1932 - - One Cauldron

BERLIN 1936 - - - - - - - One Cauldron

LONDON 1948 - - - - - - One Cauldron

HELSINKI 1952 - - - - - - *Two Cauldrons (*corrected after this post)

MELBOURNE 1956 - - - One Cauldron

ROME 1960 - - - - - - - - One Cauldron

TOKYO 1964 - - - - - - - - One Cauldron

MEXICO CITY 1968 - - - One Cauldron

MUNICH 1972 - - - - - - - One Cauldron

MONTREAL 1976 - - - - - One Cauldron

MOSCOW 1980 - - - - - - One Cauldron

LOS ANGELES 1984 - - - One Cauldron

SEOUL 1988 - - - - - - - - One Cauldron

BARCELONA 1992 - - - - One Cauldron

ATLANTA 1996 - - - - - - - One Cauldron

SYDNEY 2000 - - - - - - - One Cauldron

ATHENS 2004 - - - - - - - - One Cauldron

BEIJING 2008 - - - - - - - - One Cauldron

LONDON 2012 - - - - - - - - ?

Edited by AustralianFan

It's not true that there never has been more than one cauldron in Olympic Summer Games. Helsinki had two cauldrons, one inside the Olympic Stadium and one on top of the tower next to the Olympic Stadium. They were lit almost simultaneously by Paavo Nurmi and Hannes Kolehmainen.

Furthermore, if one wanted to be pedantic, one should mention that there are often secondary cauldrons at more remote venues. Beijing for example had cauldrons in Qingdao (where the sailing took place) and at the equestrian venue in Hong Kong. Munich had secondary cauldrons in Kiel-Schilksee (sailing venue) and, I believe, also in Augsburg (whitewater canoe venue).

Cauldrons at Summer Olympic Games:

AMSTERDAM 1928 - -One Cauldron. A symbolic fire first lit at these Games.

LOS ANGELES 1932 - One Cauldron

BERLIN 1936 - - - - - - One Cauldron

LONDON 1948 One Cauldron

HELSINKI 1952 One Cauldron

MELBOURNE 1956 One Cauldron

ROME 1960 One Cauldron

TOKYO 1964 One Cauldron

MEXICO 1968 One Cauldron

MUNICH 1972 One Cauldron

MONTREAL 1976 One Cauldron

MOSCOW 1980 One Cauldron

LOS ANGELES 1984 One Cauldron

SEOUL 1988 One Cauldron

BARCELONA 1992 One Cauldron

ATLANTA 1996 One Cauldron

SYDNEY 2000 One Cauldron

ATHENS 2004 One Cauldron

BEIJING 2008 One Cauldron

LONDON 2012 ?

Ermmm...NOT entirely.

Berlin had two sub-cauldrons at Grunau (the rowing venue) and onboard a galleon at Kiel harbor (the yachting venue).

You forgot Stockholm 1956 which then sent a sub-relay to Melbourne for a sub-cauldron. :lol:

Moscow 1980 had a sub-cauldron at Tallinn; and Beijing 2008 had a 2nd scroll cauldron in HongKong, its equestrian venue.

(all of the above from that fabulous book on Olympic ceremonies!!) ;)

Oh yeah, forgot about Qindao. And there was a photo where it sat prominently on the harbor...but I can't seem to find the image now.

it just fan made...not real

Ok...

So, analyzing the Heatherwick artwork I can imagine the design of the cauldron... Curves, layers and nails...

beach_cafe.jpg

thw-boi-0002-a-previ_57dc04.jpg

img_sitooterie_4.jpg

img_konstam_2.jpg

img_harvey_3.jpg

Can you imagen a mixture of all of this in just one tower to hold the Olympia sacred symbol????

It seems so vanguardistic!!!

They were lit almost simultaneously by Paavo Nurmi and Hannes Kolehmainen.

Almost, but not quite. After Nurmi lit the brazier on the infield, he ran it outside to the base of the tower where the 1st of 4 young football players then relayed it at up at 6 stories each (the tower rises to 24 stories) to the top where (I forget, 60+ year-old?) Kolehmainen was waiting and lit that one.

The senior Kolehmainen's ascent and descent, as one can imagine very slowly, were not factored into that interim realy transfer, i.e., they had him get to the tower (probably with an oxygen tank waiting up on top) like a half-hour before his turn.

• Like 1

It's not true that there never has been more than one cauldron in Olympic Summer Games. Helsinki had two cauldrons, one inside the Olympic Stadium and one on top of the tower next to the Olympic Stadium. They were lit almost simultaneously by Paavo Nurmi and Hannes Kolehmainen.

Furthermore, if one wanted to be pedantic, one should mention that there are often secondary cauldrons at more remote venues. Beijing for example had cauldrons in Qingdao (where the sailing took place) and at the equestrian venue in Hong Kong. Munich had secondary cauldrons in Kiel-Schilksee (sailing venue) and, I believe, also in Augsburg (whitewater canoe venue).

Ermmm...NOT entirely.

Berlin had two sub-cauldrons at Grunau (the rowing venue) and onboard a galleon at Kiel harbor (the yachting venue).

You forgot Stockholm 1956 which then sent a sub-relay to Melbourne for a sub-cauldron. :lol:

Moscow 1980 had a sub-cauldron at Tallinn; and Beijing 2008 had a 2nd scroll cauldron in HongKong, its equestrian venue.

(all of the above from that fabulous book on Olympic ceremonies!!) ;)

Oh yeah, forgot about Qindao. And there was a photo where it sat prominently on the harbor...but I can't seem to find the image now.

Sorry, you're quite right :)

What I should have said was the Opening Ceremony Cauldrons at Summer Olympic Games in front of the Stadium crowd and the world's media, not the secondary ones at distant venues.

For Helsinki, I previously relied only on the singular phrase used on the IOC website where it is written:

"Lighting the Olympic Flame by: Paavo Nurmi and Hannes Kolehmainen (athletics)"

You're right about Helsinki Summer Games 1952 too as two Cauldrons were lit at the Opening Ceremony in the main Stadium, I just watched a youtube clip of Helsinki and 2 were lit, a little one on the floor of the Stadium and the second on the big tower at the top of the Stadium. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkwJwNUu_FA

Edited by AustralianFan

Cauldrons lit at the Olympic Stadium during the Opening Ceremonies of the Summer Games:

AMSTERDAM 1928 - - - One Cauldron. A symbolic fire first lit at these Games.

LOS ANGELES 1932 - - One Cauldron

BERLIN 1936 - - - - - - - One Cauldron

LONDON 1948 - - - - - - One Cauldron

HELSINKI 1952 - - - - - - Two Cauldrons

MELBOURNE 1956 - - - One Cauldron

ROME 1960 - - - - - - - - One Cauldron

TOKYO 1964 - - - - - - - - One Cauldron

MEXICO CITY 1968 - - - One Cauldron

MUNICH 1972 - - - - - - - One Cauldron

MONTREAL 1976 - - - - - One Cauldron

MOSCOW 1980 - - - - - - One Cauldron

LOS ANGELES 1984 - - - One Cauldron