London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

I wouldn't call it a disappointment, but they weren't as good as Sydney, yes. But as I said, that's all just a matter of personal opinion. I would never prescribe anyone how he has to judge a certain edition of the Games.

I wouldn't call it a disappointment, but they weren't as good as Sydney, yes. But as I said, that's all just a matter of personal opinion. I would never prescribe anyone how he has to judge a certain edition of the Games.

Very good

Moving on;

I guess an interesting step from here is to discuss the long term effects of the London Cauldron and lighting will have on future cauldrons.

Will there be a return to the traditional crowd level stadium cauldron?

Will the 204 petal coming together and disassembly become a new tradition - with ever games making a unique take on a 204 or more piece cauldron?

Will the dangerous precedent of not working through impractical problems with clever solutions - i.e. moving cauldron, extinguishing not having it final position for the rest of the games - will this cause more things to slide down the slippery slope?

Sorry if not an appropriate topic in this thread, I can start a new thread if need be/and if any demand - i.e. actually anyone cares/wants to talk about it.

Rio has the two stadium issue to contend with. Whatever they do will HAVE to be unique just because of this fact.

I doubt it, I will be very surprised if they have a movable cauldron. They'll go for a tower with swirls

Dear all,

We all make mistakes. I could just as easily have been mistaken in my positions.

The reason I challenged Australian Fan was because of the way he rudely dismissed opposing opinions with an air of superior haughtiness. That happened weeks ago and perhaps it escaped some people's notice.

He then wrote a post saying his predictions were wrong, but he's always been open-minded and persuadable. He expected to move on without any further discussion on the subject.

Australian Fan certainly doesn't need to apologize for being mistaken. He SHOULD apologize for doing it so condescendingly. A true apology would have acknowledged that he was not at all open-minded or persuadable. To the contrary, he was insulting. Saying he hopes he didnt offend anyone with the use of a large font seems a small offering.

Now he presents himself as an innocent, nice guy saying, "oops." Some of you see me as the meany who is vindictively pointing out an honest mistake. As I've said before, it's not the mistake -- it's the attitude.

Speaking truth is not something that requires an apology -- however unpopular it may be.

• Like 1

Dear all,

We all make mistakes. I could just as easily have been mistaken in my positions.

The reason I challenged Australian Fan was because of the way he rudely dismissed opposing opinions with an air of superior haughtiness. That happened weeks ago and perhaps it escaped some people's notice.

He then wrote a post saying his predictions were wrong, but he's always been open-minded and persuadable. He expected to move on without any further discussion on the subject.

Australian Fan certainly doesn't need to apologize for being mistaken. He SHOULD apologize for doing it so condescendingly. A true apology would have acknowledged that he was not at all open-minded or persuadable. To the contrary, he was insulting. Saying he hopes he didnt offend anyone with the use of a large font seems a small offering.

Now he presents himself as an innocent, nice guy saying, "oops." Some of you see me as the meany who is vindictively pointing out an honest mistake. As I've said before, it's not the mistake -- it's the attitude.

Speaking truth is not something that requires an apology -- however unpopular it may be.

Apology accepted ;) but yeah WE KNOW

I guarantee rio will be a copy cat and go with a tower

If Rio goes with a tower, that isn't going to render them a "copy cat." It just means they're making the visibility of the flame a priority. As for their logo, it's not my favorite (I loved the bid logo), but it is the first logo that works in two or three dimensions. That does make it innovative.

Dear all,

What a prat!

If Rio goes with a tower, that isn't going to render them a "copy cat." It just means they're making the visibility of the flame a priority. As for their logo, it's not my favorite (I loved the bid logo), but it is the first logo that works in two or three dimensions. That does make it innovative.

I hate both their logos (bid and current). They have done what Barcelona, Sydney, Athens, Beijing and countless others did for a logo:

Picture

Title

Olympic rings

They should have taken inspiration from London's dynamic logo, which without a doubt is not only the most individual and innovative of them all but also one of the best due to its versatility. Rio unfortunately haven't done this, but have gone backwards...

I hate both their logos (bid and current). They have done what Barcelona, Sydney, Athens, Beijing and countless others did for a logo:

Picture

Title

Olympic rings

They should have taken inspiration from London's dynamic logo, which without a doubt is not only the most individual and innovative of them all but also one of the best due to its versatility. Rio unfortunately haven't done this, but have gone backwards...

So you're concern is not that they are copying. You're concern is that they aren't copying London.

I still think the 3-D approach is quite unique.

• Like 1

So you're concern is not that they are copying. You're concern is that they aren't copying London.

I still think the 3-D approach is quite unique.

No my concern is that they shouldn't be boring and copy the format of numerous others and that they should take inspiration from the difference in London's logo NOT that they should copy London's... Jesus Christ -_-

HJ Pro is annoying me slightly actually. A few of his posts today seem to do down Rio in an effort to boost London; something that is not only unnecessary given how huge a success our Games has been, but also not particularly nice to read. Tone it down a bit fella (I'm talking about posts like this one really - how can you know four years out Rio won't match London?). Anyway, don't want to get iinto an argument, but a few of your posts have come across that way. ^_^

As for the logo, it seems the IOC requested Rio go back to the old format. There's an interview with Rio's logo designer who said as much. I don't see the need for the IOC to be quite so prescriptive, but it's their show so they get to say what flies.

HJ Pro is annoying me slightly actually. A few of his posts today seem to do down Rio in an effort to boost London; something that is not only unnecessary given how huge a success our Games has been, but also not particularly nice to read. Tone it down a bit fella (I'm talking about posts like this one really - how can you know four years out Rio won't match London?). Anyway, don't want to get iinto an argument, but a few of your posts have come across that way. ^_^

As for the logo, it seems the IOC requested Rio go back to the old format. There's an interview with Rio's logo designer who said as much. I don't see the need for the IOC to be quite so prescriptive, but it's their show so they get to say what flies.

If you see it that way then I apologise, however this is my opinion and I just can't see a South American country matching the best games I have experienced. I always thought Sydney's would be unbeatable, but London has done so and only a capital of that stature would be able to do so.

If you see it that way then I apologise, however this is my opinion and I just can't see a South American country matching the best games I have experienced. I always thought Sydney's would be unbeatable, but London has done so and only a capital of that stature would be able to do so.

Obviously it is impossible to predict whether Rio is going to do better or not, however you have an idea whether they are capable of doing it and in my opinion they're not. The experience I had at the London Olympics was better than my experience in Sydney's and we all know how difficult Sydney is to top.

I have to say, somewhat to my own surprise, that I agree with Blacksheep's statement about the Games not being comparable. Each edition has its own personality, strengths and weaknesses. Unless Games are clearly deficient in technical operations, it's pretty pointless trying to rank them.

Technically London has been great and the British enthusiasm is fantastic. Some of the more subjective "flavors" of these Games have not been as much to my taste, but that's life.

The one thing I see as a major flaw in London's organization is the cauldron. It should be publicly visible and should never be intentionally extinguished. Coe's justifications just made matters worse.

I also think more thought should be given to how the OC will play internationally.

Relatively speaking, however, many other things went very, very well.

I do look forward to Rio and a sunny, warm, carefree celebration. It will be a great cultural contrast. I just hope they deliver technically. For now, I'm optimistic.

Although Rio needs to learn from previous hosts, I hope they just do their OWN thing. In some areas their choices may parallel other hosts, but that doesn't make them copy cats. After all, they will be hosting the XXXIst Olympiad. True originality in every facet of organization is probably not a reasonable goal.

I have to say, somewhat to my own surprise, that I agree with Blacksheep's statement about the Games not being comparable. Each edition has its own personality, strengths and weaknesses. Unless Games are clearly deficient in technical operations, it's pretty pointless trying to rank them.

Technically London has been great and the British enthusiasm is fantastic. Some of the more subjective "flavors" of these Games have not been as much to my taste, but that's life.

The one thing I see as a major flaw in London's organization is the cauldron. It should be publicly visible and should never be intentionally extinguished. Coe's justifications just made matters worse.

I also think more thought should be given to how the OC will play internationally.

Relatively speaking, however, many other things went very, very well.

I do look forward to Rio and a sunny, warm, carefree celebration. It will be a great cultural contrast. I just hope they deliver technically. For now, I'm optimistic.

Although Rio needs to learn from previous hosts, I hope they just do their OWN thing. In some areas their choices may parallel other hosts, but that doesn't make them copy cats. After all, they will be hosting the XXXIst Olympiad. True originality in every facet of organization is probably not a reasonable goal.

And I hope they do their own thing as well :)

Thanks for letting me know, I didn't realise I was coming off that way. Caught up in the moment of the final stages of these amazing games! :)