London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

I am guilty of being wrong about the ticket design not representing the cauldron. Spectacularly wrong. Dead wrong.

How did I not know any better?

(... In case anyone wants to starts raising their axe over my head next...)

Exactly... listen up AthensFan!! ;)

Don't worry NY20, its not you, as I think AthensFan is directing most of his 'unusual behaviour' at me.

That's fine as he doesn't worry me in the slightest - but it must be boring the other poor suffering Olympic fans reading this thread.

It seems that he is now displaying some sort of 'revenge' or 'unusual behaviour' by going back and digging up old posts.

Like you I have eaten humble pie and posted a couple of pages ago that I was wrong about several things, including the ticket design which I said ages ago might have represented fanfare trumpets.

Maybe its a kind of a revenge complex, obsessive compulsive behaviour, chip-on-the-shoulder - I have no idea, perhaps only a psychologist would be able to tell why AthensFan is doing this.

Don't worry NY20, its not you, as I think AthensFan is directing most of his 'unusual behaviour' at me.

That's fine as he doesn't worry me in the slightest - but it must be boring the other poor suffering Olympic fans reading this thread.

It seems that he is now displaying some sort of 'revenge' or 'unusual behaviour' by going back and digging up old posts.

Like you I have eaten humble pie and posted a couple of pages ago that I was wrong about several things, including the ticket design which I said ages ago might have represented fanfare trumpets.

Maybe its a kind of a revenge complex, obsessive compulsive behaviour, chip-on-the-shoulder - I have no idea, perhaps only a psychologist would be able to tell why AthensFan is doing this.

The answer is simple: he's American (lol jk) ;)

nu4m, I was thinking the same thing but it appears likely it will return the infield as shown in this post by Olympian2004:

Thomas Heatherwick already said that "at the end of the Games this cauldron will dismantle itself and radiate back down to the ground and each of those copper pieces taken away by each nation and put in a national Olympic cabinet somewhere."

http://www.telegraph...c-cauldron.html

This is only logical because it's a connection to how the cauldron was lit and formed during the opening ceremony.

But since there's not enough space for the cauldron to dismantle itself there in that stadium gate, I expect that they'll move it back to the centre of the infield on Saturday night or Sunday morning for the closing ceremony.

Edited by AustralianFan

How do you think they will extinguish the cauldron?

That rain cloud will move over it and put it out with a bit of fake rain.

But really... those thieving Brazilian kids from the opening ceremony video will run onto the stage and steal all the petals.

• Like 2

I am guilty of being wrong about the ticket design not representing the cauldron. Spectacularly wrong. Dead wrong.

How did I not know any better?

(... In case anyone wants to starts raising their axe over my head next...)

Yes, but you are not continuing to make the false claims that others are. I had zero desire to qoute your posts or bring up the past.

Sure, everybody makes mistakes, but not everyone is so obnoxious about it. Not everyone sweetly claims to be "persuadable" and warm and magnanimous when history shows otherwise.

The issue isn't the mistake -- it's the attitude that comes along for the ride. That's why I posted what I did.

The answer is simple: he's American (lol jk) ;)

Thanks Mr. Neutral Outside Observer.

• Like 1

The Olympic cauldron is in the stadium? I've been watching the track & field events for the past few days and I didn't notice the cauldron at all.

Yes I agree with you. This magnificent Cauldron has been relegated to the sidelines very much during these Games. Not that there was much choice as to where it could go given its unique design but it is a clear a mismatch for this Stadium in its current location.

If it had been possible, I would rather they had changed the Stadium design from the beginning to accomodate a Cauldron (of any design) than to diminish it as this one has been done with its lowly flame.

Edited by AustralianFan

Instead I notice that scary cylope mascot lurking around Usain Bolt all the time.

The mascots at Games these days seem also not to play any part in Opening or Closing Ceremonies. Maybe they were at London's OC but I didn't notice them watching on tv.

So long as the kids love 'em I guess.

Edited by AustralianFan

The mascots at Games these days seem also not to play any part in Opening or Closing Ceremonies. Maybe they were at London's OC but I didn't notice them watching on tv.

So long as the kids love 'em I guess.

What LOCOG didn't tell the general public is that the mascots are actually walking advertisments for the many condoms being handed out at the athletes village.

:wacko::P:rolleyes:

This is hilarious. We're talking about a 302-page thread. I don't think there's any chance of someone getting "bored" and there's certainly no need to attempt to muzzle anyone by snidely "warning" them they may be boring people.

Listen: you're being called out for making fabulously wrong predictions, sticking with them in the face of credible evidence to the contrary, and then having the temerity to claim that you are persuadable. It hardly requires any psychoanalysis. In fact, this is an internet message board... having your failures immediately thrown back in your face is pretty much the polar opposite of "unusual behaviour" in this type of setting. It is absolutely par for the course.

• Like 1

As Olympian2004 mentioned here earlier today, it appears from a recent Heatherwick interview, that the Cauldron during the Closing Ceremony will radiate back down ground level to allow the competing nations to each take their petal home.

So it looks like the Cauldron will need to be moved back to the infield to achieve this.

From there, the whole process might be repeated for the Paralympics Opening and Closing Ceremonies. We'll soon find out :)

Nah he is doing that all on his own.

HJPro are you going to Olympic Park over the final couple of days ?

I'm afraid not, though I have been twice already, its fantastic. I bet you wish you could have gone! :)

Thanks Mr. Neutral Outside Observer.

Aaah the wit of an American... it's too much to handle! ;)

Oh dear, I saw the start of this attack, I wish I had completely missed the rest of it. A few days ago I just finished saying how wonderful the games bids community was, so it sad to see someone be so punished for passionately believing something and then apologising for being wrong, only for that to open a quote for quote rubbing in the face......

Its is even more disappointing still that the relentless rubbing is coming from one of the posters I considered to have posts consistently of a very high standard.

In any case, was AustralianFan arrogantly dismissing those who had suggestions that were true (i.e. ticket design reflecting cauldron, no infield cauldron etc.)? Yes he was, but so were many others, AustralianFan was just more vocal. If anything I refused to believe it would not be visible outside the stadium and as nothing had been constructed tall enough, I like many others could not comprehend what would be used if not for the orbit........

Clearly the reaction in this forum to the midfield cauldron, its movement and extinguishment and overall smaller scale shows that no one expected a midfield cauldron. I do not mean that midfield cauldron was not predicted what I mean to say I don't think anyone thought it would be the final position, everyone expected it to move itself, somehow, somewhere....

If I had conceived or leaked that a cauldron would be in midfield two weeks before the ceremony and then I was asked on the forum how it would be moved - and if then I replied, it would be extinguished moved and relit on a cherry picker, you would have all said I was lunatic and reply "they would never let that happen, you don't know anything there is no athletics in the first week - that means no one would see the cauldron for the first week."

Then broken by the forum, I would say, "but they are going to put it on tv screens above the stadium, that is enough".

No one is not admitting we were NOT wrong, I even want to accept the award for biggest flop prediction as Athensfan has suggested the category.

BUT

Put your mind back four weeks ago, what sounds more ludicrous:

> a heatherwick cauldron on top of red rollercoaster thing-a-majig....

>Or the reality of what happened (as hypothetically predicted above)...

PS the predicted cauldron on this thread, mirroring the pattern on the tickets but 70 odd metres high, would have been awesome...

Edited by Juso85
  • Like 1

Very well said, Juso. And I originally didn't want to comment on that Athensfan/AustralianFan (or mainly Athensfan) flamewar because I didn't want to rekindle it. But I have to say, if we had an award for the unfairest posting over the course of these Games, I'd wholeheartedly choose that narrow-minded and overly aggressive attack Athensfan has launched against Australianfan.

Athensfan, for me it's becoming a real mystery how you ever got your "Excellent" +333 rating. The way you slashed AustralianFan although he had already apologised for his wrong pre-Games assumptions and how still you dug up those old posts just to prove a point that he had actually never challenged really knocked me for a loop. What's your problem, man?

PS the predicted cauldron on this thread, mirroring the pattern on the tickets but 70 odd metres high, would have been awesome...

Exactly!!!

Very well said, Juso. And I originally didn't want to comment on that Athensfan/AustralianFan (or mainly Athensfan) flamewar because I didn't want to rekindle it. But I have to say, if we had an award for the unfairest posting over the course of these Games, I'd wholeheartedly choose that narrow-minded and overly aggressive attack Athensfan has launched against Australianfan.

Athensfan, for me it's becoming a real mystery how you ever got your "Excellent" +333 rating. The way you slashed AustralianFan although he had already apologised for his wrong pre-Games assumptions and how still you dug up those old posts just to prove a point that he had actually never challenged really knocked me for a loop. What's your problem, man?

Exactly!!!