London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

By the way, AustralianFan said during last night's ceremony that one could see new and clean petals on the base of the cauldron behind Seb Coe when he gave his speech.

Au contraire, I have to say again - but now I have proof. As you can see in this picture of the (infamously ;)) extinguished cauldron on July 29, those are just some shiny metal knobs on the cauldron's base. They are much smaller than the petals.

http://www.gettyimag...nfoto/149509258

You can recognise the same knobs in those three rings around the cauldron's base in this picture from last night:

http://www.gettyimag...nfoto/150233627

Yeah, those are the individual knobs/pistons/controls...whatever you want to call them...for each stem. I believe each one had to have its own control, and that's setting it up for the Paralmypic use when there will be less than the 204 stems used. Actually, they could've cheated and just used (I think) 160 or 170 for the Paralympics...and no one except the manufacturer would've known the difference. Because what are they going to do with the base of that thing afterwards? Will it go to a UK-Olympics museum?? Kinda ugly thing to display.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, those are the individual knobs/pistons/controls...whatever you want to call them...for each stem. I believe each one had to have its own control, and that's setting it up for the Paralmypic use when there will be less than the 204 stems used. Actually, they could've cheated and just used (I think) 160 or 170 for the Paralympics...and no one except the manufacturer would've known the difference. Because what are they going to do with the base of that thing afterwards? Will it go to a UK-Olympics museum?? Kinda ugly thing to display.

I'm not sure where it will go... maybe nowhere and simply destroyed?

I'm not sure where it will go... maybe nowhere and simply destroyed?

I hope they keep those stems and put replica petals on top, especially because they wont be blackened they will stand more as a museum piece..

Sadly in sydney a similar tragedy occured, whilst the saucer part of the cauldron was reworked into a fountain, they cauldron mast was carelessly disposed of...... this definitely should not happen in London!

I know I asked this earlier in the thread- but there were some really interesting answers so I'll ask again: what has happened to Olympic Cauldrons of past games? There's a few I know of now, but it would be interesting to find out more.

2012: I assume the cauldron will no longer exist beyond the copper petals- given what the designer said about it being a "one off moment" etc. I think it's unlikely that we'll see any kind of replica- my guess is the base may just be kept in storage/destroyed?

2010: The outdoor cauldron is still there as far as I'm aware- obviously the indoor one was only ever temporary.

2008: I've seen photos of the cauldron being taken off the roof after the games, but I've not seen anything of it since. I'm sure I read somewhere that it was going on display somewhere??

2004-2006: Not sure on these- can someone enlighten me? (pun intended)

2002: The tower and cauldron is still on display.

2000: The cauldron is now a fountain, without the central stem.

1996-1998: Again, not sure on the whereabouts of these. I'm especially interested in Atlanta's. I assume they took down the supporting tower etc, but did they keep the cauldron itself?

That's as far back as I'll go for now- but any information which could fill the gaps would be very interesting :)

^ To answer some of your questions...

2010 - still on the waterfront, where I assume it will always be. Now part of a fountain and re-lit from time to time. And still a popular tourist attraction.

2008 - now on display on the grounds near the Birds Nest.

2004 - still part of the stadium.

1996 - the cauldron and tower are in a parking lot just off Turner Field (the former Olympic Stadium).

1992 - the Barcelona cauldron is still attached to the stadium at Montjuic. Albertville's is in a park where the stadium used to be.

1988 - I believe that Calgary's is inside the stadium just to the side of where it was originally positioned.

1984 (and 1932) - LA's is still atop the central arch.

1980 - Lake Placid's is still in place (was restored in 2008), and Moscow's rusting heap was uncovered in some storage lot a few years ago.

1976 - Innsbruck's are all still in place (with a third added and used for the 2012 WYOGs), Montreal's is just outside the stadium.

1976 - Munich's is in a corner of the Olympia park.

1968 - Mexico's is still in the stadium.

1964 - Tokyo's is still in the stadium.

1956 - Melbourne's is in a museum, I believe at the MCG.

1948 - London's is in a museum at Wembley.

1936 - still in place in Berlin's Olympic Stadium.

1932 - see 1984 above.

1928 - still atop the tower at the Amsterdam stadium.

Some of these, I've seen in person. But with most, you can zoom in on Google Maps and find them in their original positions. One or two may even include a pic of them re-lit.

Wow, thanks Kenadian! Definitely answered a lot of my questions and more! I must say I'm surprised that Atlantas is still there, tower and all- I don't seem to remember seeing any photos or mentions of it post games- in contrast to Sydney and Vancouver, who seem to have made good use of theirs.

Thanks for the photo! I must say it looks a bit lonely and unloved out there in a car park- I guess it was never the most popular of designs? I personally think the cauldron itself isn't too bad, but its been completely ruined by putting it on top of that ugly metal tower. Do people use the stairs?

it is sad really how many of these important and historically significant items are disposed of without thought, cauldrons have faired better, I particularly like vancouver and salt lakes post-olympics placement. (sydneys too just wish they didn't separate from the mast). But other elements get less love.. I worry what will become of the many of the massive olympic rings on tower bridge and all around london/uk. Sydney only had two sets (on the habour bridge and the Martin Place live site), and both of these were sold for scrap....which is a travesty considering how Iconic especially the bridge ones were...

Ironically in both instances the scrappers that recieved them could not bear to destroy them so the bridge ones site on scrap yard rusting away in western sydney and the martin place ones sit on the wall of a non descript warehouse on a main road in sydney's south. these things should really be put on display in parks or at the olympic parks. Maybe OCOG/IOC worry that in twenty years as they are left unmainted they will look decrepit and taint the brand of the olympics. But both sydney's sets look surprisingly good 12 years on with no care..

If transport was not such a hassle they could at least be taken to the olympic museum in lusanne.

I'm surprised people haven't talked about the paralympic cauldron!

I saw in an article about heatherwick that they made 3 sets of petals - one for testing, one for the olympic cauldron, and one for the paralympic cauldron. However, he says that they will be used differently in the paralympic cauldron...

I don't know if this video has already been posted about the london cauldron, aopologies if it has:

There are also some other Olympic Segments on the Youtube channel reflecting on Australia's Involvment in building London's Athlete's village etc. They are slanted to that focus as they are produced by Australia's trade board to promote Australia reputation with big events, so please understand the bias in them in that context. The provide some interesting general insights about olympic planning if anyone is interested..

^ To answer some of your questions...

2010 - still on the waterfront, where I assume it will always be. Now part of a fountain and re-lit from time to time. And still a popular tourist attraction.

2008 - now on display on the grounds near the Birds Nest.

2004 - still part of the stadium.

1996 - the cauldron and tower are in a parking lot just off Turner Field (the former Olympic Stadium).

1992 - the Barcelona cauldron is still attached to the stadium at Montjuic. Albertville's is in a park where the stadium used to be.

1988 - I believe that Calgary's is inside the stadium just to the side of where it was originally positioned.

1984 (and 1932) - LA's is still atop the central arch.

1980 - Lake Placid's is still in place (was restored in 2008), and Moscow's rusting heap was uncovered in some storage lot a few years ago.

1976 - Innsbruck's are all still in place (with a third added and used for the 2012 WYOGs), Montreal's is just outside the stadium.

1976 - Munich's is in a corner of the Olympia park.

1968 - Mexico's is still in the stadium.

1964 - Tokyo's is still in the stadium.

1956 - Melbourne's is in a museum, I believe at the MCG.

1948 - London's is in a museum at Wembley.

1936 - still in place in Berlin's Olympic Stadium.

1932 - see 1984 above.

1928 - still atop the tower at the Amsterdam stadium.

Some of these, I've seen in person. But with most, you can zoom in on Google Maps and find them in their original positions. One or two may even include a pic of them re-lit.

2006 - From 2009, Torino's had there's just outside of Stadio Olimpico at Torino Olympic Park.

15Marzo09068.jpg

As for 1988, another thread posted pictures showing the "cauldron" lit a top of Calgary Tower for either Canada Day or the Calgary Stampede.

I didn't manage to make it out to see the cauldron when I was there last year, but I did manage to cross off a few other cauldrons on my travels of 2011.

Here's a few personal pics , excuse my mug in the photos.

As a note, the Lillehammer cauldron is still at the ski jump arena, and the Nagano cauldron is situated in Nagano Olympic Park - which is also home to Olympic Stadium.

1.jpg

Lillehammer

2.jpg

Berlin

3-1.jpg

Munich

4.jpg

Athens

5.jpg

6.jpg

Barcelona

7-1.jpg

8.jpg

Nagano

9.jpg

Sydney (fountain part was out of action when I visted)

I think the one thing that struck me with some of them, was how small they were. I had this idea the Nagano cauldron would be alot bigger than it actually was, same goes for the Munich cauldron.

Cool pics dude...I remember seeing the Sydney 'platter' a few years ago and wondered why they never used the stem, looks cool all the same. The LA Colesium's 'torch' (the locals call it that) looks small way up on the memorial archway but is actually big.

Beijing's was huge (and necessarily so I'd argue ), but Olympic cauldrons have really come in rather small, reasonable, and justifiable sizes when taken into the context of their respective stadiums.

I really don't know what Heatherwick was talking about when he pretty much said there was cauldron arms race going on with every subsequent host.

I do have great respect for creative people, but sometimes they just talk out their backsides because they like the sound of their voice coming from there and it makes them feel special that they can do that and get away with it. So credit their creativity, but don't pay much heed to everything they say.

I agree on Beijing's being huge as was vancouver's comparatively to many others.

It is interesting how much bigger salt lakes looked compared to sydney's but in real life with was not that much taller (with sydney on mast). Sadly sydney's was much taller on the mast than it is as a fountain, as can be seen below(The best digital photo I have ever found of it):

01454_sydney_custom%20(1).jpg

Because of its position on top of such a high spectator stand, Aside from beijing, sydney's was probably one of the highest cauldrons in its games position, it looked good from inside the stadium looking up the stand, but looked a bit lost from outside the stadium(Torino's I also think looked good from the inside but a bit weird on the outside.

Athens, Beijng and Barcelona were probably aesthetically the best at this....

Yeah, it's just standing there. You can't see the outline of the Olympic Stadium before it was remodeled into Turner Field (they moved the cauldron farther back).

2383004223_897687e0fd_z.jpg?zz=1

Thanks for the photo! I must say it looks a bit lonely and unloved out there in a car park- I guess it was never the most popular of designs? I personally think the cauldron itself isn't too bad, but its been completely ruined by putting it on top of that ugly metal tower. Do people use the stairs?

Atlanta's cauldron would look so much better on a stand or pedestal of better scale. This bulky base detracts from what could be a potentially a pleasing design. What they should do is put it on top of a shorter Greek column and place it in Centennial Park downtown. This would also mimic the logo for the games and bring the cauldron closer to people.

Coke probably wouldn't want to pay to shift a cauldron modelled on its competitor, McDonalds, Fries carton.

They can BOTH pay for it as they are both in cohorts...Coke supplies Macca's it's beverages!

I agree on Beijing's being huge as was vancouver's comparatively to many others.

It is interesting how much bigger salt lakes looked compared to sydney's but in real life with was not that much taller (with sydney on mast). Sadly sydney's was much taller on the mast than it is as a fountain, as can be seen below(The best digital photo I have ever found of it):

01454_sydney_custom%20(1).jpg

Because of its position on top of such a high spectator stand, Aside from beijing, sydney's was probably one of the highest cauldrons in its games position, it looked good from inside the stadium looking up the stand, but looked a bit lost from outside the stadium(Torino's I also think looked good from the inside but a bit weird on the outside.

Athens, Beijng and Barcelona were probably aesthetically the best at this....

Still the nicest Cauldron ever!

Archived