London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

London will light theirs with a ..... flamethrower!!

That's only your guess, right? We had that flamethrower speculation already in Athens, when Baron predicted Gianna Angelopoulos-Daskalaki would set off a fire catapult, thus lighting the cauldron. ;)

Not a serious scenario, but I guess you didn't mean it seriously anyway.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's only your guess, right? We had that flamethrower speculation already in Athens, when Baron predicted Gianna Angelopoulos-Daskalaki would set off a fire catapult, thus lighting the cauldron. ;)

Not a serious scenario, but I guess you didn't mean it seriously anyway.

A flamethrower method feels a bit violent and military-esque no?

Oh yeah, its deffo a big plus to have the wires for flying, especially without an underground area. Just tired of the zipwire cauldron lighting, ala Atlanta and Albertville.

It's just the easy way out.

I can see your point with the Orbit tower, but using the zoo analogy, the giraffe was the gift of a circus clown and a millionaire fan, not part of the zookeeper's master plan.

Also, LOCOG long ago announced that Thomas Heatherwick would design the cauldron. So I don't see the Orbit as part of the menagerie. So to speak.

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/13331/thomas-heatherwick-to-design-2012-olympic-cauldron.html

Food for thought ....

1253274_M01.jpg

Hey AustralianFan, looking at the picture above, it might be possible to have a zip line from the Orbit into the Stadium. Then the bearer could run up the tower, reach the top and 'for lack of the better word', "Zip" over into the stadium carrying the flame. As oppose to just entering the stadium on foot.

I do kinda miss that giant hole in the ground, but I guess 3 times in a row is not innovative. The hole doesn't have to be clever, just what comes out of it though.

I don't suppose they would ever imagine lighting the whole rim of the stadium on fire.... :D , that way, everyone in the stadium will get a view...

Is there underground chambers under the stadium field at all? Is it complete flat? I would imagine it will be inflexible to design a stadium with no moveable floor as this greatly restrict things they can do in the opening ceremony.

If there is no underground, the only way is to store all the props on the roof as someone suggested here and bring them down to the field. If not, probably there can be collapsible props that is like a chinese lantern, pulled up from flat packed on ground.

they don't need underground chambers per se - but there is a way around it ...

the layout of the studium during ceremony mode is quite different to anything seen before - maybe a slight nod to athens ...

That makes me curious. How is the layout different and how is it a nod to Athens?

With water on the field? Maybe they recreate the river Thames runs through the field that would be cool

What about taking this "Isles of Wonder"-thing serious and staging the action on, let's say, two islands in the (possible) water. Then this T shape could be for the parade of nations???

1253274_M01.jpg

I love the idea of an expedited parade of nations. It doesn't look to me like this stadium was designed with water capabilities. It would make sense with the Isles of Wonder theme though.

Might be so, yes. Does anybody know how long they have to prepare the stadium for the OC? If there is enough time, they could build there some sort of "pool wall" around the pitch and fill it with water. After the OC, this water could easily be "transported" to Lea and those pool walls could be removed.

But how would they drain all that water if they have no hole in the ground?

I think what Adrianme meant with "a slight nod to Athens" is that London chooses a new and innovative layout for the stadium -- and not that they'd take water again, which wouldn't be only a nod to but rather a copy of Athens. I thought at first they'd choose something very British, namely a cleanly cut lawn all over the field, including the tracks, the long jump pit etc.. But that wouldn't look very spectacular, I guess -- especially not since there is grass anyway on a stadium's infield.

Regarding the props: They really don't need a hole in the ground for bringing the props into the stadium. Just remember Sydney 2000 with all its props. Stadium Australia hadn't a hole in the ground either. I suppose they rolled in the props through the stadium's gates.

Well, I assume it should stay in during the ceremony. The athletes could be staged on the islands and the lectern could be on a stage (that on the right side of the stadium, beneath the video screens could be possible). And after the ceremony, there could be some temporary pipes or so installed between one of the entrances of the stadium and Lea...

Might be so, yes. Does anybody know how long they have to prepare the stadium for the OC? If there is enough time, they could build there some sort of "pool wall" around the pitch and fill it with water. After the OC, this water could easily be "transported" to Lea and those pool walls could be removed.

Rehearsals start in the stadium @ the beginning on june

I think what Adrianme meant with "a slight nod to Athens" is that London chooses a new and innovative layout for the stadium -- and not that they'd take water again, which wouldn't be only a nod to but rather a copy of Athens. I thought at first they'd choose something very British, namely a cleanly cut lawn all over the field, including the tracks, the long jump pit etc.. But that wouldn't look very spectacular, I guess -- especially not since there is grass anyway on a stadium's infield.

Regarding the props: They really don't need a hole in the ground for bringing the props into the stadium. Just remember Sydney 2000 with all its props. Stadium Australia hadn't a hole in the ground either. I suppose they rolled in the props through the stadium's gates.

That was actually the way I interpreted Adranme's post -- not necessarily water. I'm still not really seeing echoes of Athens, but whatever.

I'm not expecting a pool.. I really dont know what to expect, but Danny Boyle has a strong visual sense, so I'm optimistic that it will be a unique and arresting environment.

Maybe they will have a false floor of some sort , I believe Athens and Melbourne did that for their ceremonies?

The Melbourne ceremonies weren't conducted on the stadium floor (ie: the field with a ground cloth over it), but on a stage that covered the whole arena.

The opening segment is usually a re-creation of something quintessential, universal image of the host country. The Australia's outback, Greece's island & sea and China's people power. What do you think screams Britishness that can be created for London's opening segment? A pub perhaps? Or the rain? :)

A tough one. There are many quirky avenues either of the two ceremonies can go down, but surely the opening stanza needs to be powerful and worthy of the fact that these are indeed the Olympic Games, an event which stretches back to Ancient Greece.

It has to be something impressive.

Maybe they will have a false floor of some sort , I believe Athens and Melbourne did that for their ceremonies?

The Melbourne ceremonies weren't conducted on the stadium floor (ie: the field with a ground cloth over it), but on a stage that covered the whole arena.

That sounds plausible. A raised floor stage is also useful in hiding potential cauldron under it and only brought up during the lighting ceremony.

Archived