London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Thanks a lot for the info, guys. Now this might be another first in Olympic history: An Olympic cauldron finding his post-Games home in a museum. All other cauldrons (if they were not removed completely) probably were or still are located outdoors, particularly close to or still at their former positions at the Olympic Stadia at Games time. Or am I wrong? I'm not sure about cauldrons like the ones of Melbourne 1956 and Rome 1960, for example.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot for the info, guys. Now this might be another first in Olympic history: An Olympic cauldron finding his post-Games home in a museum. All other cauldrons (if they were not removed completely) probably were or still are located outdoors, particularly close to or still at their former positions at the Olympic Stadia at Games time. Or am I wrong? I'm not sure about cauldrons like the ones of Melbourne 1956 and Rome 1960, for example.

The London 1948 one, though still at (new) Wembley is indoors.

Fab, Oslo and Melbourne's are the only ones (that I know of) that ended up in museums. One of Albertville's secondary cauldrons (possibly the one from Tignes) is on display at the Olympic Museum in Lausanne. I did an article on the Winter cauldrons which appeared in the Feb issue of the ISOH Journal. Will see if I still have a zip copy of the entire issue. All the others (S&W) as far as I know are still in place or moved to a nearby park.

• 5 weeks later...

yes they are a bit charred but it's still a cute idea......cudos to Autopia who recieved a financial setelment from liquidators of LOCOG who released the following statement just last Month.

Statement issued by the joint liquidators of LOCOG -Dated this 18th day of July 2014

Statement issued by the joint liquidators of The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Limited (In Members’ Voluntary Liquidation)

LOCOG recognises that, between 2006-8, designers from ATOPIA LLC (“Atopia”) were engaged in the consulting and tender process relating to a proposed project for showcasing sustainability at the London 2012 Games (the “Games”) by means of a temporary structure that LOCOG referred to in its request for tender as the “One Planet Pavilion”.

ATOPIA provided LOCOG with certain submissions for this purpose. Specifically, Atopia’s submissions and One Planet Pavilion proposal included:

• 5 concepts that defined a framework for showcasing sustainability at the Games, namely:
    o “Beyond Zero”;
    o “The One and Many”;
    o “An Environmental Parliament”;
    o “The Acorn and the Oak”; and
    o “Because it’s worth it”.
  • 5 features for the design scenario:-
    o the live-time construction of the pavilion in the opening ceremony for the Games;
    o the pavilion being made from 200+ flower shaped forms, one for each of the participating nations;
    o the flower-shaped forms to be brought into the opening ceremony by ‘bearers’ in each participating nations team;
    o as part of the ceremony the ‘bearers’ to pass each flower shaped form to the ‘next generation’ to be ‘planted’ and ‘deployed’ as a pavilion; and
    o after the Games the flower shaped forms to be returned to the participating nations.

Dated this 18th day of July 2014

the fat lady has sung.

LOCOG-One-Planet-Pavilion-Cauldron-Jane-

yes they are a bit charred but it's still a cute idea......cudos to Autopia who recieved a financial setelment from liquidators of LOCOG who released the following statement just last Month.

Statement issued by the joint liquidators of LOCOG -Dated this 18th day of July 2014

Statement issued by the joint liquidators of The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Limited (In Members’ Voluntary Liquidation)

LOCOG recognises that, between 2006-8, designers from ATOPIA LLC (“Atopia”) were engaged in the consulting and tender process relating to a proposed project for showcasing sustainability at the London 2012 Games (the “Games”) by means of a temporary structure that LOCOG referred to in its request for tender as the “One Planet Pavilion”.

ATOPIA provided LOCOG with certain submissions for this purpose. Specifically, Atopia’s submissions and One Planet Pavilion proposal included:

• 5 concepts that defined a framework for showcasing sustainability at the Games, namely:

o “Beyond Zero”;

o “The One and Many”;

o “An Environmental Parliament”;

o “The Acorn and the Oak”; and

o “Because it’s worth it”.

• 5 features for the design scenario:-

o the live-time construction of the pavilion in the opening ceremony for the Games;

o the pavilion being made from 200+ flower shaped forms, one for each of the participating nations;

o the flower-shaped forms to be brought into the opening ceremony by ‘bearers’ in each participating nations team;

o as part of the ceremony the ‘bearers’ to pass each flower shaped form to the ‘next generation’ to be ‘planted’ and ‘deployed’ as a pavilion; and

o after the Games the flower shaped forms to be returned to the participating nations.

Dated this 18th day of July 2014

the fat lady has sung.

LOCOG-One-Planet-Pavilion-Cauldron-Jane-

So was it just an admission? Or was there a financial settlement? But no admission from Heatherwick? So the issue of Autopia's original submission ending up on Heatherwick's desk was not even addressed?

that was the total statement i posted.........everything else is confidential except that a financial settlement was awarded to Autopia.

Autopio has acted with total class and confidentiality through the whole mess, they refuse to comment much and have actually thrown Hetherwick a bone/lifeline when the thing started getting wide coverage in the media, they seemed to try tried to diffuse the situation as it heated up which was probably the best thing to do as they negotiated a settlement..

Can you give a link to the Settlement details? Tried looking but have not been successful.

Paul's right that the settlement details have not been published, though IIRC, the liquidators described it as a trivial amount. Heatherwick and Boyle both stated that the liquidators had not consulted them about the settlement.

Huh. I wonder if the other 2 design/ceremonial lawsuits were also settled.

The "Tor" one never got to that stage- here's Lee Sendall's latest on the topic

The illuminated bed one doesn't seem to have gone anywhere, which is a pity as it was the most convincing of the three. Rachel Wingfield's firm's website has some very pretty stuff though

Autopio has acted with total class and confidentiality through the whole mess, they refuse to comment much and have actually thrown Hetherwick a bone/lifeline when the thing started getting wide coverage in the media, they seemed to try tried to diffuse the situation as it heated up which was probably the best thing to do as they negotiated a settlement..

One thing which can be said with near-certainty is that Atopia have acted with anything but class in this matter. They have been manipulative and devious from the start- and it turns out that "the start" means 2006, when they took advantage of the fact that LOCOG's design principal Kevin Owens had been a student of Atopia's David Turnbull, so throughout the two years when Atopia were bidding for LOCOG work, there was an informal (and informative) correspondence between them. If other bidders were not copied in on information supplied to Atopia in this correspondence, and Atopia had won any contracts, there would have been grounds for legal action by other bidders, and disciplinary action against Owens.

And it looks like there is an appreciable difference between the "regular" petal and the Paralympic petal. See the US photo which shows them side by side. DISCRIMINATION!!!

It's really an ugly-looking thing, sitting by itself. Looks more like a coal shovel than anything else. Here's one...

$_1.JPG

No fair- the petals were allocated at random, so the US got one big one and one little one.

One thing which can be said with near-certainty is that Atopia have acted with anything but class in this matter. They have been manipulative and devious from the start- and it turns out that "the start" means 2006, when they took advantage of the fact that LOCOG's design principal Kevin Owens had been a student of Atopia's David Turnbull, so throughout the two years when Atopia were bidding for LOCOG work, there was an informal (and informative) correspondence between them. If other bidders were not copied in on information supplied to Atopia in this correspondence, and Atopia had won any contracts, there would have been grounds for legal action by other bidders, and disciplinary action against Owens.

No fair- the petals were allocated at random, so the US got one big one and one little one.

What I was driving at was, were the Paralympic petals smaller than the regular "O" ones? Becuz when they all 'clumped' up, they had to be of the same size, didn't they?

More: https://vantage2012.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/the-guardian-covers-more-olympic-ceremony-skulduggery/

That's the problem when giving it to first-timers like Danny Boyle. Yeah, settling was the best thing because that's what all Atopia wanted anyway - formal acknowledgement that their designs were received. And it's hoped this whole thing will go away just as the Liquidators of LOCOG will soon. Except it sort of sets a landmark case in IP/plagiarism cases.

One thing which can be said with near-certainty is that Atopia have acted with anything but class in this matter.

-didn't the countries names get stamped or engraved on the petrels....why did I think that?

-we'll Atopia could have justifiably said Hetherwick stole the idea which they never specifically rubbed in his face. (Hetherwick was very happy to act all along like this was his unique idea)

-didn't the countries names get stamped or engraved on the petrels....why did I think that?

-we'll Atopia could have justifiably said Hetherwick stole the idea which they never specifically rubbed in his face. (Hetherwick was very happy to act all along like this was his unique idea)

Yes, the names were engraved on the rim of the PETALS...not pretzels! ;)

No; no one had to articulate that Heatherwick "stole" the idea. By crying "foul;" that was enough to implicate TH. And it was up to the neutral observer to connect the dots.

What I was driving at was, were the Paralympic petals smaller than the regular "O" ones? Becuz when they all 'clumped' up, they had to be of the same size, didn't they?

The petals for both cauldrons were in the same range of sizes, because they had to fill the same range of space between stems:

cauldron.jpg

Above: Olympic. Below: Paralympic.

_62724397_cauldron_1500mt54_getty.jpg

Cruelty to lovely seabirds!

Yes, the countries' names were engraved on the petals- but there was no specified relationship between countries and petals until the engraving was done.

Archived