London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so excited about Kate Bush performing. A remix of coming up that hill I hear. Wow!

If she really graces the closing ceremony, it will be the biggest coup of all. I will go insane when she appears! A redeeming act from the dreadful Paul McCartney at the opening!

They are NOT planning on cleaning the petals because Heatherwick intentionally picked the copper finish. The petals are to be distributed to all the nations exactly as they come off (and obviously cool down) the cauldron; uncleaned. The "burning and discoloration" of the petals are supposed to represent the 'trial of fire' that O athletes go through to get to the Games.

They are NOT planning on cleaning the petals because Heatherwick intentionally picked the copper finish. The petals are to be distributed to all the nations exactly as they come off (and obviously cool down) the cauldron; uncleaned. The "burning and discoloration" of the petals are supposed to represent the 'trial of fire' that O athletes go through to get to the Games.

In short, they're just being LAZY! :P

Yes I was wondering earlier if copper goes black or not when exposed to flame for a period. So if they are only discoloured then all the better as it add a bit of 'character' to the copper.

All that was tested. Except of course, the little petal will just look so alone and forlorn however it's displayed by itself. Personally, I think that's another aspect of this design that TH didn't think through thoroughly.

Anyway Rio heavily beat Chicago!!!

Don't remember yet, Mr???

:rolleyes: Can't tell the difference between a "dig" and a "joke"? Get a sense of humor, Nacho.

I heard that interview too.

Just what the NOCs want -- a charred hunk of metal.

Seriously, its a wonderful idea conceptually, but I have to wonder what anyone will do with it. I'm sure the NOCs will try to make big to-do out of it to be gracious and politically correct. But they've got to be thinking, where will this dirty black thing go?

Seriously, its a wonderful idea conceptually, but I have to wonder what anyone will do with it. I'm sure the NOCs will try to make big to-do out of it to be gracious and politically correct. But they've got to be thinking, where will this dirty black thing go?

The petals are an unselfish gift from London - for countries who have never hosted an Olympics and have very little major Olympic artefacts.

If a country doesn't have a national Olympic museum for it - then surely they have some kind of history or sports museum.

I always thought the cauldron will be simple extinguished in place at the closing then re-lit for the para then brought out to do the full unfold at the close of the game, ALL the games. This is the sequence shown on the tickets.

The petals are an unselfish gift from London - for countries who have never hosted an Olympics and have very little major Olympic artefacts.

If a country doesn't have a national Olympic museum for it - then surely they have some kind of history or sports museum.

I'm sure some of them will.

I always thought the cauldron will be simple extinguished in place at the closing then re-lit for the para then brought out to do the full unfold at the close of the game, ALL the games. This is the sequence shown on the tickets.

Makes sense. Will they just mail the petals to the countries without Paralympic teams?

I'm sure the nations will be thrilled to have their piece of the cauldron but what about London?

Well I guess we will have our piece and don't forget our new shiny massive bell which I'm sure will be rung at the start of every future Olympics.

Looking at it again during the end of the Closing Ceremony, I really like the way it looked when it was slightly raised and fanned out. THAT would have been an amazing cauldron.

I agree it looks really good at - shall we call it '45 degrees' - though I feel many people would complain that it would be a collection of lights - rather than an actual cauldron.

Plus the idea behind it is that each petal represents a country and they are all brought together as one.

I thought the cauldrons extinguish was beautiful and in some ways the best part of the closing ceremony. The fact that it had the ability to move to a different angle and stay there makes it sooo unique and wonderful. The final location of it may have been a poor choice, but it is without a doubt the most elegant in design.

The GB petal is going in the Great British Garden next to the de Coubertin oak.

Except the former is an inert object while the latter is a living thing. If it weren't for Agricultural laws, I would've preferred if giving a unique plant was what London 2012 copied from Berlin (not that useless bell idea) and gave out instead of those equally useless metal 'petals.'

By the way, AustralianFan said during last night's ceremony that one could see new and clean petals on the base of the cauldron behind Seb Coe when he gave his speech.

Au contraire, I have to say again - but now I have proof. As you can see in this picture of the (infamously ;)) extinguished cauldron on July 29, those are just some shiny metal knobs on the cauldron's base. They are much smaller than the petals.

http://www.gettyimages.de/detail/nachrichtenfoto/the-cauldron-lit-during-the-olympic-opening-ceremony-nachrichtenfoto/149509258

You can recognise the same knobs in those three rings around the cauldron's base in this picture from last night:

http://www.gettyimages.de/detail/nachrichtenfoto/the-olympic-cauldron-with-its-204-copper-petals-is-nachrichtenfoto/150233627

Archived