London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Let it go AthensFan, you're boring everyone.

After enduring your insufferable obstinacy for months, I've quite called a spade a spade and challenged your assertion that you are "persuadable."

I'm not surprised by your denial, but at least I've said my piece. I'm now done.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"A people's cauldron" - yes, but only a cauldron for the people in the stadium.

"Connecting more with people" - yes, but only connecting with the people in the stadium.

"Rather than like a dream in the sky" - what's wrong with a shining beacon representative of each human being's dreams and hopes, sitting in an elevated location for everyone to see?

Being different just for the sake of being different is not always a good choice, Mr. Heatherwick. The concept of the 204 petals for each participating nation is beautiful, but it would have worked as well if it had sat at (or at least been moved to) the roof.

Here's the link to the article, by the way:

http://www.standard.co.uk/olympics/olympic-news/thomas-heatherwick-britain-is-a-cauldron-of-creativity-7987368.html

Oops, sorry - here's the correct link (but the other article is interesting as well): http://www.standard.co.uk/arts/visual-arts/the-olympic-cauldron--review-7987060.html

It would have looked stupid on the roof

After enduring your insufferable obstinacy for months, I've quite called a spade a spade and challenged your assertion that you are "persuadable."

I'm not surprised by your denial, but at least I've said my piece. I'm now done.

I'm afraid you're coming off as more annoying

We are now coming to the closing days of the London 2012 Olympic Games and from what I have witnessed both at the park and on television has been spectacular, an atmosphere like no other Olympics (not even Sydney's could match), without a doubt for me this is the greatest Olympics ever. The cauldron is beautiful and would have looked out of place on the roof. It just needs to be raised higher so that it looks more prominent. I agree that the cauldrons final location is disappointing, however it is satisfactory. To be quite frank it being a huge tower to the north end or a sculpture in trafalgar square wouldn't have created the beautiful sequence I watched at the opening ceremony. To repeat, the atmosphere has been unbelievable, I have never heard a crowd scream and cheer more in praise or despair. These games have been breathtaking and the best of all (so far) :) These truly are the "people's games".

Like I said before pjpauly2k, Leecz and I are being nitpicky and pedantic, your view is perfectly reasonable, though while I cannot speak for Leecz, I am unfortunately, not reasonable :P

Haha I am a nostalgic and nit picky traditionalist conservative freak. :) Anyhow it's nice to see that one thing is consistent - the Olympic Flag party has worn all white all these decades. Let's hope this stays the same forever!

You see, the beauty of ceremonies is tradition. Tradition means doing the same thing over, maybe doing it a little better, but essentially, not changing the rules - Imagine if one olympic games, they decide to do all the measurements in Imperial system just for the sake of being different? It wouldn't work! i guess it's a chicken and egg thing.

It's good to hear the Games have a great atmosphere and are very much the Peoples Games as LOCOG wanted to get it be.back to be thronging and carnival-like. I wish I could have been there this time but it was not to be.

I wonder what they will do with the Cauldron for the Closing? I'm guessing they might just leave it where it is and extinguish it from there.

No, apparently it will be moved back to the centre of the stadium and extinguished from there... however I'm not too sure

I wonder what they will do with the Cauldron for the Closing? I'm guessing they might just leave it where it is and extinguish it from there.

Thomas Heatherwick already said that "at the end of the Games this cauldron will dismantle itself and radiate back down to the ground and each of those copper pieces taken away by each nation and put in a national Olympic cabinet somewhere."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/olympicsvideo/9434606/Thomas-Heatherwick-the-designer-behind-the-London-2012-Olympic-cauldron.html

This is only logical because it's a connection to how the cauldron was lit and formed during the opening ceremony.

But since there's not enough space for the cauldron to dismantle itself there in that stadium gate, I expect that they'll move it back to the centre of the infield on Saturday night or Sunday morning for the closing ceremony.

Yes it looks like the flame is on the top of the Orbit Tower Loop in the video,

When the fireworks go off you can see the silouhette of the loop against the fireworks and this definite flickering flame perched right on top of it.

Thanks to jky92 for posting it.

Have a look at it guys. Where is that flame? It appears to be outside the stadium and at this angle above the roof stadium level.

Posted the day before the Opening Ceremony -- July 26.

Cauldron's Flame To Be Seen Across Olympic Park

So the Cauldron and it's flame will be seen by those outside, as well as most of the audience inside London's Olympic Stadium.

Now that we have seen, across Olympic Park, the distant video and still images of the Cauldron being tested in the early hours of Friday morning London time, this finally puts to rest that earlier incorrect and alleged ATR report written by an "unknown" person wrongly alleging a senior and widely respected IOC Member had released information about the Cauldron, including that it would only be "seen by those inside the Stadium."

That IOC Member's integrity and reputation rightly remains intact.

It should be noted that it appears not who posted this false report in this thread is at fault, but whoeover made up the original story.

Enjoy the Games guys, wherever you are !

Posted the day before the Opening Ceremony, July 26 (after the Orbit comment).

Only because the other person involved is usually wrong, it's just my neutral perspective on the conversations.

Whatever you say. I think the above quotes vindicate me completely. The reality is that Australian Fan was quite insistent on both points (Orbit and Oswald/ATR being wrong) in many, many posts despite being presented with information to the contrary.

I suppose facts can be annoying....

In giving the petals to the competing nations after the Olympics Cauldron is extinguished, does anyone know if we will see a different style or the same type of Cauldron for the Paralympics Opening?

I'm guessing...but looking at the design on the tickets, I think it will be the same. Just fashioning the central mechanism and those petals cost a lot of money, so I don't see them creating ANOTHER design for the Paralympics. My guess for this whole cauldron business of 2012 is around US$2.75 million.

I too think that the symbols on the tickets are simply representations of the trumpets which you would expect from the city of Royal Fanfares heralding the Opening and Closing of the 2012 Olympics, not anything at all to do with hinting at a multi-part Cauldron design. There is no way they would leak a surprise like that or anything about the Cauldron to anyone other than the 'need to knows', let alone to the masses on tickets.

The first photo below is of some of the RAF Fanfare Trumpets, 8 of whom performed 'Valiant and Brave' at Prince William and Kate's Wedding in Westminster Abbey and so I think we can expect some fanatastic heralds during these Ceremonies. The second photo is of the Royal Opera fanfare trumpets.

Vancouver unfortunately had trouble with all four parts of their Cauldron to work. I still think that one majestic Cauldron with one flame will be lit.

raf-fanfare-trumpets-2-1302676844-view-1.jpg

fanfaretptsatroh.jpg

Also one of multiple posts on the same theme.....

As long as we're talking about tickets, the petals and all....

I am guilty of being wrong about the ticket design not representing the cauldron. Spectacularly wrong. Dead wrong.

How did I not know any better?

(... In case anyone wants to starts raising their axe over my head next...)

Exactly... listen up AthensFan!! ;)

Don't worry NY20, its not you, as I think AthensFan is directing most of his 'unusual behaviour' at me.

That's fine as he doesn't worry me in the slightest - but it must be boring the other poor suffering Olympic fans reading this thread.

It seems that he is now displaying some sort of 'revenge' or 'unusual behaviour' by going back and digging up old posts.

Like you I have eaten humble pie and posted a couple of pages ago that I was wrong about several things, including the ticket design which I said ages ago might have represented fanfare trumpets.

Maybe its a kind of a revenge complex, obsessive compulsive behaviour, chip-on-the-shoulder - I have no idea, perhaps only a psychologist would be able to tell why AthensFan is doing this.

The answer is simple: he's American (lol jk) ;)

How do you think they will extinguish the cauldron?

That rain cloud will move over it and put it out with a bit of fake rain.

But really... those thieving Brazilian kids from the opening ceremony video will run onto the stage and steal all the petals.

I am guilty of being wrong about the ticket design not representing the cauldron. Spectacularly wrong. Dead wrong.

How did I not know any better?

(... In case anyone wants to starts raising their axe over my head next...)

Yes, but you are not continuing to make the false claims that others are. I had zero desire to qoute your posts or bring up the past.

Sure, everybody makes mistakes, but not everyone is so obnoxious about it. Not everyone sweetly claims to be "persuadable" and warm and magnanimous when history shows otherwise.

The issue isn't the mistake -- it's the attitude that comes along for the ride. That's why I posted what I did.

The answer is simple: he's American (lol jk) ;)

Thanks Mr. Neutral Outside Observer.

The mascots at Games these days seem also not to play any part in Opening or Closing Ceremonies. Maybe they were at London's OC but I didn't notice them watching on tv.

So long as the kids love 'em I guess.

What LOCOG didn't tell the general public is that the mascots are actually walking advertisments for the many condoms being handed out at the athletes village.

:wacko::P:rolleyes:

Don't worry NY20, its not you, as I think AthensFan is directing most of his 'unusual behaviour' at me.

That's fine as he doesn't worry me in the slightest - but it must be boring the other poor suffering Olympic fans reading this thread.

It seems that he is now displaying some sort of 'revenge' or 'unusual behaviour' by going back and digging up old posts.

Like you I have eaten humble pie and posted a couple of pages ago that I was wrong about several things, including the ticket design which I said ages ago might have represented fanfare trumpets.

Maybe its a kind of a revenge complex, obsessive compulsive behaviour, chip-on-the-shoulder - I have no idea, perhaps only a psychologist would be able to tell why AthensFan is doing this.

This is hilarious. We're talking about a 302-page thread. I don't think there's any chance of someone getting "bored" and there's certainly no need to attempt to muzzle anyone by snidely "warning" them they may be boring people.

Listen: you're being called out for making fabulously wrong predictions, sticking with them in the face of credible evidence to the contrary, and then having the temerity to claim that you are persuadable. It hardly requires any psychoanalysis. In fact, this is an internet message board... having your failures immediately thrown back in your face is pretty much the polar opposite of "unusual behaviour" in this type of setting. It is absolutely par for the course.

Archived