London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the good side though, the stadium looks fantastic packed out.

Considering it's only day one and it looked chockablock at 9am their time...well done. We do get above shots of the Cauldron with spidercam.

As I've been saying, I like the Cauldron - I just wish it was more prominent!...I'm sure it will find it'self in the middle of the stadium on closing night.

Considering it's only day one and it looked chockablock at 9am their time...well done. We do get above shots of the Cauldron with spidercam.

As I've been saying, I like the Cauldron - I just wish it was more prominent!...I'm sure it will find it'self in the middle of the stadium on closing night.

Bleh. What they should have done was devised a way for the cauldron to go to the Glastonbury Tor end during the opening ceremony, as to silence all critics. Then during the closing ceremony, it remains there, only to move at the appropriate moment back to the centre of the field, flame dies out, and the flower goes back to the ground.

Been enjoying the athletics event this afternoon, lovely to see a full crowd for the heat events, remember back to Athens and near empty seats for the heats.

However, a little disappointed the cauldron appears somewhat detached. It is rarely in shot, and our commentators had to assure the audience the flame was burning and was in the stadium - it just seems to be out of tv pictures, unless of course you're watching the high jump competition.

This might not be the case in 2016, though, since they are renovating Havelange to greatly increase the seating capacity.

(And I don't know about you, but "Pele Olympic Stadium" sounds pretty good to me.) :)

Sorry being a bit anal but they aren't renovating it was built in the last few years and the capacity will not be greatly increased only by 15,000 by adding stands to each end which already has much of the structure ready.

I have to say that is my major gripe about plans for Rio 2016 in that the Athletics stadium is not the main Olympic stadium; also having small capacity too.

I'm not sure what to make of Rio 2016, I can see it being a bit of a flop, late built stadiums and poor execution. But who knows?! I'm pretty sure they'll go for a cauldron tower though... copycats (like the logo)

I'm not sure what to make of Rio 2016, I can see it being a bit of a flop, late built stadiums and poor execution. But who knows?! I'm pretty sure they'll go for a cauldron tower though... copycats (like the logo)

Late built stadiums? Pretty much most of it is there, the only real project being the decision to completely overhaul Maracana, which WILL be completed by 2014, the World Cup. Those that need mere expansion might be last minute deals, whilst those new ones might be as well, but compared to London and Beijing, Rio doesn't need to build a whole heap of venues from scratch.

Late built stadiums? Pretty much most of it is there, the only real project being the decision to completely overhaul Maracana, which WILL be completed by 2014, the World Cup. Those that need mere expansion might be last minute deals, whilst those new ones might be as well, but compared to London and Beijing, Rio doesn't need to build a whole heap of venues from scratch.

Yes you're right, however there are one or two. I just feel their execution will be poor, I don't know why I just have a feeling. I can't see Rio as being a successful host nation for the Olympics, for the world cup they're perfect, but for the Olympics no. What do you think?

I have to say that is my major gripe about plans for Rio 2016 in that the Athletics stadium is not the main Olympic stadium; also having small capacity too.

This will probably be the main topic in this forum from now to 2016, but the true is that Rio doesn't need to construct another athletic stadium. Joao Havelange stadium already serves its purpose (for athletics competition, not for ceremonies), building another stadium just to acomodate the olympic tradition is NOT part of Rio's plans. Maracana stadium is being renovated for the 2014 world cup and FIFA rules wouldn't allow an athletic track to be part of the new stadium. So, since the ceromonies' stadium needs to be a big venue, they are going with Maracana. Maybe Rio will have two flames, one for the ceremony and another for the Olympic Park.

By the way, the athletic stadium in Rio will not be located in the Olympic park, another first I guess.

Anyway, I digress. Back to London, I'm glad that we will finally see the flame from now on.

Been watching the athletics for the last 2 hours and I have seen the Olympic flame only once. The one time It was shown, it was faded by the big screen behind it. For me, the placement of this cauldron is just odd. It feels like any other major championship. The flame should always be in sight. I think this has been a huge mistake.

Was watching some of the athletics competitions just now. Just feels like there is no flame.

I guess they were so obsessed with their 'moment' of lighting the flame that they forgot about the other 25,000 other moments after it.

Was watching some of the athletics competitions just now. Just feels like there is no flame.

I guess they were so obsessed with their 'moment' of lighting the flame that they forgot about the other 25,000 other moments after it.

Exactly! What were they thinking!? Seemingly, little thought went into this, which is unforgivable!

I have thought these have been a fabulous games so far, but the flame and it's 'absence' takes the shine off somewhat.

The trouble isn't the design, the concept, or the relatively small size. It's just a little bit too far back so the camera isn't catching it while a lot of the events are on. If it was a bit further forward, or if the camera panned a bit higher occassionally, you'd see it as athletes were running the bend.

The BBC Studio inside the stadium has that side of the stadium behind their glass window and it looks wonderful seeing the "bowl" in amongst the crowds, surrounded by thousands of people. It really feels like the cauldron is part of the crowd, not elevated high above it.

The shots we do see of it are brilliant, but it would be good to see more of it!!!

Archived