London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It a shame that they cant keep the same flame that they lit at the opening burning for the full games - it just takes something away form the symbolism

This was just very poorly conceived. Intentionally extinguishing the flame? Craziness. Even if they relight it with the backup. LOCOG list their minds on this one.

Sorry "lost their minds...."

SporTV here in Brazil have a Live Camera showing the flame ...

IBS is broadcasting the flame buring 24/7 for all broadscaster...

I don't think they extinguished the flame

SporTV here in Brazil have a Live Camera showing the flame ...

IBS is broadcasting the flame buring 24/7 for all broadscaster...

I don't think they extinguished the flame

Well there's no flame in that picture that was taken while they were moving it off the infield.

The cauldron looks kind of ugly when the flame is not on.

AzA88byCQAAXvBm.jpg

Extinguished cauldron.

Well there's no flame in that picture that was taken while they were moving it off the infield.

Extinguished cauldron.

Extinguishing the cauldron, with no replacement other than putting it back into the lantern in which it came from.....simply, scandalous.

What's more scandalous is when the Montreal cauldron went out and some guy just re-lit it with his lighter.

No, The guy didn't know any better. He was just helping out. What was more ANAL and retarded was to put out the Bic-ignited flame and then replace it with the satellite-ignited flame? Like :blink:oh really, was that a more genuine flame than the Bic flame?? They should've just let it go and kept quiet about it.

Having a "vertically challenged" cauldron is ok by me. I would consider the 2002 cauldron in this category as well. (I just saw it a month ago) the big difference is the visibility. You could see the cauldron for miles. I had a friend who would watch it out his bedroom window. No one gets to go out and see this one. No one gets to look up and see the flame and get that feeling of pride. They are taking a symbol of pride and hiding it away. The biggest outrage is this new development of the extinguishment. I have no problem with Vancouver extinguishing theirs. One of them was lit at all times. And moving it is not an excuse. You just do not put out the flame. They should have thought of that before deciding to move it.

Having a "vertically challenged" cauldron is ok by me. I would consider the 2002 cauldron in this category as well. (I just saw it a month ago) the big difference is the visibility. You could see the cauldron for miles. I had a friend who would watch it out his bedroom window. No one gets to go out and see this one. No one gets to look up and see the flame and get that feeling of pride. They are taking a symbol of pride and hiding it away. The biggest outrage is this new development of the extinguishment. I have no problem with Vancouver extinguishing theirs. One of them was lit at all times. And moving it is not an excuse. You just do not put out the flame. They should have thought of that before deciding to move it.

C'mon. Did u really think they would move that thing all lit up? Get real. Of course not. The OSHA labor laws of the UK would not allow it.

Please...it's such a petty and totally unrealistic argument.

C'mon. Did u really think they would move that thing all lit up? Get real. Of course not. The OSHA labor laws of the UK would not allow it.

Please...it's such a petty and totally unrealistic argument.

No I wouldn't expect them to move it without extinguishing it. I think the idea of moving a dwarfish, hidden cauldron was something that should never have become reality. Once they committed to this idea. They HAD to extinguish the cauldron. The point is that they never should have committed to this idea in the first place.

Any idea that means the public can't see the flame, the cauldron will have to be moved and the flame must be extinguished -- IS A LOUSY IDEA. How did LOCOG miss this?

well, they certainly delivered the "unexpected".

I think the lesson to be learned here is that just because something is unexpected and different doesn't mean it's good.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9437590/Olympic-flame-goes-out-as-cauldron-is-moved.html

I'm a bit surprised, though, that it allegedly didn't burn anymore at 11:14 p.m. last night. ARD German Television still showed a burning cauldron when they chatted with two German beach volleyball players in their Olympic Studio on late Sunday evening. Or was that a recording?

Some short video clips of the Olympic cauldron in daylight before it was moved. You can also see the Mayor of London promoting the orbit.

https://www.youtube....channel&list=UL

I have great respect for Seb Coe, but he sounds like an idiot in that clip. "The cauldron is not for the fans -- it's an Olympic symbol". Are you kidding me? What happened to inspiring a generation and Olympics for everyone?

This is really unbelievable.

so, how many times in the past 50 years of Summer Olympics has the Cauldron been only visible to those within the athletics stadium?

Seoul ?

Montreal ?

I have no trouble this... burning all that fuel seems like a waste... im glad London has down sized it.

Rio is going to be interesting because for the first time in Summer Olympic history, the ceremonies will not be held in the athletics stadium, but rather a stadium just for the ceremonies (it is, however an athletics stadium...just not the one they are going to use for the Olympics).

Some short video clips of the Olympic cauldron in daylight before it was moved. You can also see the Mayor of London promoting the orbit.

https://www.youtube....channel&list=UL

What? "The organisers later said that they'll move it to a more prominent position, albeit still in the stadium"? I think they refer to the relocation to the "bell end", although that was announced already before Coe said that the cauldron is no tourist attraction. It sounds, though, as if they chose a whole new location.

As I stopped checking the cauldron thread 2 weeks before the ceremony, I have no idea how much details of it was leaked or sussed out by you all.

But I suspect one of the reasons Heatherwick came out with this small, collapsible, in-stadium only design is so that he can keep this as a secret to the very last moment. Which it totally works, nobody will know about it other than the few at midnight testing and no erection of tower outside the stadium which is impossible to hide.

In that sense, he succeeded but it is a sacrifice too big and not worthwhile to hide the cauldron from public view.

In a way, I am so over this top secret cauldron thing. Heatherwick said he doesn't want to compete with others regarding to size etc but he is competing in terms of who can keep it a secret the longest. I hope Rio will ditch all these secret cauldron thing once and for all and make it all in the open. It will be a fresh approach as long as they keep certain part of the lighting method/ design a secret.

Heatherwick really kills it for me this time.

I have great respect for Seb Coe, but he sounds like an idiot in that clip. "The cauldron is not for the fans -- it's an Olympic symbol". Are you kidding me? What happened to inspiring a generation and Olympics for everyone?

This is really unbelievable.

They know they did a mess out of this, so they try to get away with very bad, lame excuses. I mean, how many times has the cauldron been intentionally turned off so that it could be moved to another location WITHIN the stadium?

Rio is going to be interesting because for the first time in Summer Olympic history, the ceremonies will not be held in the athletics stadium, but rather a stadium just for the ceremonies (it is, however an athletics stadium...just not the one they are going to use for the Olympics).

The stadium in Rio (Maracanã Stadium) will be also used for football matches.

It's not the first time the olympic flame went out during the games. London is fast becoming a carbon copy of the 1976 games bar the labour strikes and debt. People now have to learn to accept that things won't always go to plan or their liking and Olympic organisers are only human just like the rest of us and they do make mistakes.

This games remind me of the 1976 games, cauldron wise. The cauldron in 1976 went out in a storm during the games and had to be relit. But people there in Montreal probably were probably complaining about the half finished tower and the debt more so then the location of the cauldron.

The location of the cauldron is a matter for the organisers to decide and I can't understand why people are complaining about the location of the cauldron. The times when people couldn't see the cauldron from the outside were in 1948, 1976, 1988 and now so there's nothing new there. Frankly I think we have become a generation of whingers who should be appreciating and celebrating the Games.

Archived