London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, first thing, the nations received a replica of one in the Cauldron I am assuming.

I INTENTIONALLY AM USING ALL CAPS BECAUSE I AM STEAMING PISSED. THE CAULDRON AWESOME, GREAT JOB, THE LIGHTING EMOTIONAL AND AWESOME AS WELL AS INSPIRING. BUT ITS CLOSED OFF FROM THE PUBLIC. SPEAKING AS A PERSON THAT HAS SEEN TWO CAULDRONS IN PERSON IT IS A SIGHT TO BEHOLD, EVEN THE UGLY McDONALDS FRENCH FRY BOX FROM ATLANTA 1996. BUT SERIOUSLY INSPIRE A GENERATION, AS LONG AS YOU BUY A TICKET. WTF?1?! ALL PEOPLE DESERVE TO SEE THE CAULDRON, FOR FREE, NOT THE COST OF AN ATHLETIC EVENT OR A JOURNEY TO THE TOP OF A TOWER. I HAVE LOVED ALL THAT LONDON HAS DONE UNTIL NOW. I AM LET DOWN BY ITS LOCATION AS OF NOW, IF IT STAYS ONLY SEEN FROM WITHIN THE STADIUM, ON A PLATFORM OR NOT, IF IT CANNOT BE SEEN BY ALL ITS A FAILURE! I AM SO SORRY THAT THOMAS HEATHERWICK'S GREAT DESIGN CAN ONLY BE SEEN BY THE WORLD'S LUCKIEST AND RICHEST PEOPLE. TO THAT I SAY LOCOG YOU FAILED US ALL!!! LETS HOPE DAWN BRINGS A VIEW OF THE CAULDRON FOR ALL, OR THIS CAULDRON IS A FAILURE BECAUSE OF ELITIST BULLS@#T!

As far as cauldron designs go, I would put this one under "ok". Not as terrible as Torino's, but not as fantastic as Salt Lake's.

I do think it would've looked wonderful in a high, prominent position "blossoming" and retracting throughout the Games. Too bad that's not going to happen. And the flame itself is awkwardly shaped on top of it and does burn very elegant like say Sydney's did.

The lighting itself lacked drama and monumentality. In this department, Sydney and Barcelona can breath easy for another two years.

So who claims prediction honour? RobH and Paul were pretty spot on. Anyone else? (I'm not going back over 250-odd pages!)

Well, about 3 days ago, I was sticking up for a hole in the ground. So on that score, I was right.

Plus the jetpack thing...altho I jokingly had that for QE2. Little did I know that she was a 'skyjumprix.' :lol: (But there were 2 or 3 other jetpeople in the show.)

As far as cauldron designs go, I would put this one under "ok". Not as terrible as Torino's, but not as fantastic as Salt Lake's.

I do think it would've looked wonderful in a high, prominent position "blossoming" and retracting throughout the Games. Too bad that's not going to happen. And the flame itself is awkwardly shaped on top of it and does burn very elegant like say Sydney's did.

It's like 100 birthday cake candles starting to stick to each other.

Yeah, a coming together is one way to look at it...on the other hand, one could say that the English rose was closing onto itself. ;)

Well, about 3 days ago, I was sticking up for a hole in the ground. So on that score, I was right.

Plus the jetpack thing...altho I jokingly had that for QE2. Little did I know that she was a 'skyjumprix.' :lol: (But there were 2 or 3 other jetpeople in the show.)

It's like 100 birthday cake candles starting to stick to each other.

Yeah, a coming together is one way to look at it...on the other hand, one could say that the English rose was closing onto itself. ;)

Mate, I'll give you kudos, you had Mary Poppins picked out in your book.

And you got Cruella De Ville for a bonus!

Mate, I'll give you kudos, you had Mary Poppins picked out in your book.

And you got Cruella De Ville for a bonus!

Yeah, thanks. Forgot about that. Well, it would've been silly to disregard the wealth of British literature. Oh, my scenario was actually Poppins bringing in the torch/miner's lamp...but Peter Pan grabs it from her. They tussle for it, but Harry Potts. comes in and steals it from both of them. So I got 2 out of 3 on that one as well.

Only downside of the cauldron (apart from it being in the stadium) is that there lacked the imense jubilation as the torches *kissed* the petals. Everyone was kind of waiting until the whole thing was lit, so it tok a while, there was no *BOOM*

I was very disappointed that it is contained fully inside the stadium. It should be high up for all to see...

agreed

should be an IOC edict that the flame should be seen at all times not locked behind closed doors

Another LOCOG cockup

So is the cauldron going to stay in the centre of the stadium for the whole games, even during the athletics competition?

No, supposedly it's being moved to where the Bell is/was. It's still pretty huge to have it sit there. That thing has 204 ducts all burning gas. Gives off a very large carbon footprint!!

Having already read the bad news about the cauldron not being visible beyond the eyes of paying spectators yes I was upset but I was beyond that when the moment came. I watched it on TV... sublime. Heatherwick did a great job and design; I really loved how it was shaped like a bowl in essence. I don't know how, but the delivery of the moment in essence was truly moving and tear jerking and with me it takes quite a lot to do this. I guess one could say the emotion built up with the very elegant delivery to Sir Steve and the presence of all of the workers of the Park in the entrance. Of course it kept building up up to the point where the children hugged their "mentors" if you want to put it that way. Even you could see and hear it with Sir Paul and if you're in the US, the commentators sounded like they were hit with emotion. Big props to those who both guessed that children would light it and that it resembled the ticket; that was almost the big hint since the design was very Heatherwick. In the visual aspect I do favor Athens #1 with this, Sydney, and Beijing fighting for #2 but the delivery of this "moment" outstood the cauldron itself and it will definitely be inspiring for years into the future.

No, supposedly it's being moved to where the Bell is/was. It's still pretty huge to have it sit there. That thing has 204 ducts all burning gas. Gives off a very large carbon footprint!!

Wouldn't they have to distinguish it to move it?

I hate the idea of the main flame being distinguished and then relit - i know the y have the original flame, but its nice to think that once its lit at the opening then it burns for the full duration.

Now the lighting itself - i could see where they were coming from with inspire a generation theme, but in years to come when we state the names of those who have lit the flames (Robello, Ali, Freeman etc), will we remember seven children?

Would have been better if more past olympians had carried it in the stadium as they have earned it. How many of these kids will go on to glory?

An olympian from each generation/decade from 1948, plus a child as a future olympian would have been good.

Now the lighting itself - i could see where they were coming from with inspire a generation theme, but in years to come when we state the names of those who have lit the flames (Robello, Ali, Freeman etc), will we remember seven children?

Would have been better if more past olympians had carried it in the stadium as they have earned it. How many of these kids will go on to glory?

An olympian from each generation/decade from 1948, plus a child as a future olympian would have been good. Imagine the roar from the crowd as Redgrave, Homes, Gunnell, Christie, Lewis, Bannister, Hoy, Peters, Thomson and one of the kids had stood around that cauldron and lit it

Now I have to eat humble pie - I really didn't believe that they would give away the cauldron's look on thousands of ceremony tickets. They were so extremely silent about the cauldron that it's still a bit strange that they threw the cauldron's look in our faces nevertheless.

So congratulations to everyone who guessed that look, especially to RobH and paul!

The cauldron's design is incredibly clever and symbolic - a wonderful idea! It's extremely innovative and the camera shots from below are simply stunning, almost unreal. It's disappointing, though, that the cauldron will not only be visible only from within the stadium but also will be taken down at the end of the Games so that it won't become a memorial in the Olympic Park later on. However, this is probably one of the most beautiful cauldrons of Olympic history, although I somewhat prefer Sydney's futuristic and impressive design.

Regarding the cauldron lighters: Well, it's a bit sobering that after all that speculation, some unknown young athletes and Games ambassadors lit the flame and Roger Bannister wasn't even part of the segment at all. But it's absolutely true: It's very fitting for the Games' motto "Inspire a generation" and the whole philosophy of the London Games. And maybe some of those young athletes will become famous later on. ;)

Regarding the location: I'm surprised that the cauldron will be where the bell sat. This way, it will block the view onto the jumbotrons on that end of the stadium. Will they perhaps keep the temporary screens on the roof on that side of the stadium so that the viewers on the opposite side can view the action and the results?

So far, the cauldron apparently hasn't been moved, by the way. The Olympic broadcast on ZDF has just started and they showed apparent live pictures taken from that stunning perspective in the centre below the burning petals. And you could see the ring of the rigging above it, which is suspended over the centre of the infield. One couldn't really recognise the flame from that perspective, though. Maybe they should reconsider using that camera perspective when it's still daylight.

Oh, and I forgot the lighting method: It wasn't extremely exciting. They dipped their torches into some of the petals, the flame wandered around and those hydraulic arms came together. Technically, Barcelona's and Sydney's cauldron lightings still remain the most impressive ones.

Wouldn't they have to distinguish it to move it?

I hate the idea of the main flame being distinguished and then relit - i know the y have the original flame, but its nice to think that once its lit at the opening then it burns for the full duration.

i agree, once it is lit....it should remain lit

Okay, first thing, the nations received a replica of one in the Cauldron I am assuming.

I INTENTIONALLY AM USING ALL CAPS BECAUSE I AM STEAMING PISSED. THE CAULDRON AWESOME, GREAT JOB, THE LIGHTING EMOTIONAL AND AWESOME AS WELL AS INSPIRING. BUT ITS CLOSED OFF FROM THE PUBLIC. SPEAKING AS A PERSON THAT HAS SEEN TWO CAULDRONS IN PERSON IT IS A SIGHT TO BEHOLD, EVEN THE UGLY McDONALDS FRENCH FRY BOX FROM ATLANTA 1996. BUT SERIOUSLY INSPIRE A GENERATION, AS LONG AS YOU BUY A TICKET. WTF?1?! ALL PEOPLE DESERVE TO SEE THE CAULDRON, FOR FREE, NOT THE COST OF AN ATHLETIC EVENT OR A JOURNEY TO THE TOP OF A TOWER. I HAVE LOVED ALL THAT LONDON HAS DONE UNTIL NOW. I AM LET DOWN BY ITS LOCATION AS OF NOW, IF IT STAYS ONLY SEEN FROM WITHIN THE STADIUM, ON A PLATFORM OR NOT, IF IT CANNOT BE SEEN BY ALL ITS A FAILURE! I AM SO SORRY THAT THOMAS HEATHERWICK'S GREAT DESIGN CAN ONLY BE SEEN BY THE WORLD'S LUCKIEST AND RICHEST PEOPLE. TO THAT I SAY LOCOG YOU FAILED US ALL!!! LETS HOPE DAWN BRINGS A VIEW OF THE CAULDRON FOR ALL, OR THIS CAULDRON IS A FAILURE BECAUSE OF ELITIST BULLS@#T!

i agreed too....even though it looks nice, the cauldron should always rise above the stadium..... it loses the Olympic magic when it can not be seen glittering about the Olympic Park Skyline.

Archived