London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vancouver had trouble with a 4 part Cauldron, Sydney had trouble with the second of their three mechanical stages of the Caudron's journey to the top.

Too many moving or flaming parts at the big crucial moment - far too much potential for embaressing technical glitches

and it went off without a hitch!

Wow. It was a beautiful moment.

I'm going back to my original guess that it will be a moveable cauldron, appearing in different locations around London. It can't stay there in the centre of the stadium as there will be competitions there.

We'll see.

The ceremony ticket graphics in sequence may provides clues to the cauldron design and assembly.

Olympic Opening Ceremony: Many parts/arms fold together to form some sort of bowl or base for the flame

Olympic Closing Ceremony: The formed cauldron (side view) remains stationary through the closing ceremony.

Paralympic Opening Ceremony: The formed cauldron (top view) is in place for the Paralympic opening.

Paralympic Closing Ceremony: The cauldrons many parts/arms fold away as the flame is extinguished.

london-olympics-2012-ticket_designs-1.jpgAwgJNlZCQAEsi00.jpglondon-olympics-2012-ticket_designs-2.jpg7471986988_acca62bb17.jpg

there you are.

LC.jpgf.jpg

I definitely think the ticket graphic is the couldron, I made this a while ago and I have another one I think could be more fesable that I'll post later.

Has the "bell" been revealed???

..just wish it was taller.

So those who said the tickets were the give away were right. It's a nice cauldron and love the idea of it being built during the ceremony (though I suspect there were 408 petals in that stadium, not 204), but not a fan of a temporary cauldron being lit and then it either being moved or a replica lit - and don't see at all why David Cameron would have been needed to OK it.

Nice lighting though - loved the ethos, but for me the tempoary nature of it all means it's not as magical as Barcelona, Sydney or Athens.

It's being moved to Wembley. That's why, even when some people on this forum wanted to insist it would definitely be seen outside the stadium, I wanted to be cautious.

I want to watch it again...I was both impressed and disappointed. It was pretty amazing, but I do prefer it when there is one lighter. It is an honour...

Archived