London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Right to answer your question, the 'mystery cloud' is in the middle of the pyramid which is directly above the tree.

The cloud was moved inwards towards the centre slightly during the rehearsal but had no apparent function.

I don't actually think it is the cloud so sorry for bringing this up ;D

I'll bet anything the cauldron is in that cloud. At the right time cloud does what the other clouds do and exposes the cauldron, the cauldron is then lowered into the housing (tree removed while all eyes on the cloud) and then lit.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lessons learned:

The flame does not need to rise ON the cauldron through the wires. It may travel after the cauldron has risen(?) in the form of fireworks, laser or any other chemical reaction that can be called fire.

Last October's Panamerican Games', 2nd in size only to the Olympics, OC had the Omnilife Stadium fully criss crossed with wires and cables (watch the full OC) and they still managed to light the cauldron on top of the volcano-shaped stadium's roof:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B88jlOE6Uhk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The cable assembly I was talking about would STILL have been flame-broiled by last night's test, as it appears to be DIRECTLY OVER the center of the stadium. :P

Why? The cable assembly is at roof level. The (purported) cauldron from the video is well above roof level. So, as long as it is lit in its final position - which appears to be the case, from the video - the wires wouldn't get in the way of the cauldron's flames.

So if the tree was to go after the opening ceremony - why is the space behind it there - then there could be seats.

perhaps the cauldron will be against that wall.

When I first saw the inside of the stadium (when it was empty) I presumed a big screen would be there like in Wembley

http://www.dingspages.me.uk/images/DSCN0074.jpg

The other end has the bell and a performing area just below it - so that could definitely be a location for the cauldron.

I don't think the cauldron can be visible inside the stadium even now. It is filling up with audience now and they have nothing better to do that tweet spoilers. Surely we'd have had SOMETHING by now! It must be an amazing 'reveal'. I like the suggestion it will be constructed during the industrial revolution section but think it is more likely to be connected to the Thames outline on the stage. Not long to wait now!

I don't think the cauldron can be visible inside the stadium even now. It is filling up with audience now and they have nothing better to do that tweet spoilers.

Actually from around 19:30 till it starts they will be taught about certain things they will have to do.

These range from using the LED lights attached to each chair, passing around the huge 'zorb' balls and passing the blue cloth over their heads for the opening scene.

(The blue cloth will cover all of the audience and represents the sea around the 'Isles of Wonder'

287ka5g.jpg

I agree with you. But how else do you explain those flames then? But either they're repairing the damage from last night this morning or maybe they put in flame-proof cables there knowing they would be singed by flames??

As explained earlier, I believe the cauldron was on the stadium's rim during last night's test; it will be lit on the track at the edge of the stadium floor, then lifted into place on the rim between two of the cables radiating from the center assembly. I can't completely rule out a flame-proof cable assembly above an elevated platform, however.

Why? The cable assembly is at roof level. The (purported) cauldron from the video is well above roof level. So, as long as it is lit in its final position - which appears to be the case, from the video - the wires wouldn't get in the way of the cauldron's flames.

But if it's lit at floor level, as the Bannister stories suggest, and THEN raised above the cables (as opposed to the baron's idea where only the flames themselves rise above the cables), the cauldron or its lighting mechanism will have to go THRU the cable level; that can't happen at the center (or the Tor) due to cables directly overhead. The location on the rim suggested by the earlier picture makes more sense; there should be a gap between cables there.

These range from using the LED lights attached to each chair, passing around the huge 'zorb' balls and passing the blue cloth over their heads for the opening scene.

(The blue cloth will cover all of the audience and represents the sea around the 'Isles of Wonder'

But if the audience is fully enveloped under the blue cloths (very Atlanta), then who will see the full effect (other than the cameras?)? :blink:

I know...I know...

But if the audience is fully enveloped under the blue cloths (very Atlanta), then who will see the full effect (other than the cameras?)? :blink:

I know...I know...

Haha, the audience are merely pawns.

The cloth was only on us for 30 seconds I'd say so nobody felt we missed anything.

As others have said, I think we have to hand it to London for keeping the cauldron hidden this long. We're certainly playing Where's Wally? (Where's Waldo? here in the States) with the cauldron--which might be the point since the creator of that series, Martin Handford, is British. :lol:

As others have said, I think we have to hand it to London for keeping the cauldron hidden this long. We're certainly playing Where's Wally? (Where's Waldo? here in the States) with the cauldron--which might be the point since the creator of that series, Martin Handford, is British. :lol:

Yeh it has been really impressive.

It reminds me of Kate Middleton's dress - all the press were desperately trying to find out what it looked like and who the designer was and they managed to keep it a secret till she stepped out of the car.

They have achieved the same with London 2012 - we won't find out who lights the cauldron till he or she steps out onto the world stage.

As others have said, I think we have to hand it to London for keeping the cauldron hidden this long.

I know where it's hidden.

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/21643-gamesbids-london-2012-opening-ceremony-live-chat/page__st__70

Hint, hint: look at the circular hedge in the center.

It reminds me of Kate Middleton's dress - all the press were desperately trying to find out what it looked like and who the designer was and they managed to keep it a secret till she stepped out of the car.

And it was such an underwhelming and BORING design.

But that's another story...

I know where it's hidden.

http://www.gamesbids...at/page__st__70

Hint, hint: look at the circular hedge in the center.

I saw that photo too - but now I look at it again - I've realised it is actually the centre hoop of the olympic rings when they rise up.

They have just hidden it under grass, very smart :D

It's during the industrial revolution scene and its very cool indeed.

I won't share the photo as I'll keep that surprise and you will see it anyway in 2 hours but it is part of the industrial revolution scene.

BREAKING NEWS:

Steve Redgrave is part of the BBC panel and has said he has not had a call yet.

Unless he is hiding something and is going to go off and get changed - then he is not the lighter.

The Guardian have this headline: "Queen becomes surprise late bet to light Olympic Cauldron"

The Blue material is to simulate the ocean...it starts on the upper tiers and then the lower seating as a special song is played....

hope that doesnt spoil things too much

Also am very very excited now for the Ceremony...gonna be amazing...I hope everyone enjoys the show...and can't wait for the Torch Bearer and Cauldron to end years of speculation!!

It's been a pleasure speculating with y'all.

My final prediction: Bannister will light the flame remotely from the floor of the stadium, using a swarm of automated quadrocopters, which will then fly up, around, and through the wires at roof level in order to light the cauldron, which looks like the image on the OC tickets and will be located (either suspended or anchored) on top of the roof near the Orbit.

:D

I saw that photo too - but now I look at it again - I've realised it is actually the centre hoop of the olympic rings when they rise up.

They have just hidden it under grass, very smart :D

It's during the industrial revolution scene and its very cool indeed.

I won't share the photo as I'll keep that surprise and you will see it anyway in 2 hours but it is part of the industrial revolution scene.

BREAKING NEWS:

Steve Redgrave is part of the BBC panel and has said he has not had a call yet.

Unless he is hiding something and is going to go off and get changed - then he is not the lighter.

The Guardian have this headline: "Queen becomes surprise late bet to light Olympic Cauldron"

He's gone now

He's gone now

ooo, well I hope he is part of it.

Anyway - my prediction (or really what I hope it is.):

Sir Rodger Banister passes the torch to Steve Redgrave, Redgrave passes it to Tom Daley and Tom Daley lights the couldron.

-Or the other way around may work better - Daley starts and Banister finishes.

As for the location - the tree, the hill (with the tree) or on the roof above it.

But in just a few hours we will find out!

Hi everyone!

This is my first post. I've noticed for a while that there appears to be a platform and ramp built upon the Millennium Dome, does anyone know what this is for? As for a possible cauldron location, I know the flame has to be seen by all in the stadium but this would allude to the rumours that the flame will be taken by speedboat down the Thames since the dome lies right on the river.

Hi everyone!

This is my first post. I've noticed for a while that there appears to be a platform and ramp built upon the Millennium Dome, does anyone know what this is for? As for a possible cauldron location, I know the flame has to be seen by all in the stadium but this would allude to the rumours that the flame will be taken by speedboat down the Thames since the dome lies right on the river.

Nice idea but it is simply just a new tourist attraction called 'Up at the O2'

("The O2" is the newish official name for the Millennium Dome)

Archived