London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

The Cauldron won't be resting on the cables.

It won't be hanging from wires

It won't be floating on anything either.

It will, as always, be safely attached to a fixed, strong supporting structure :) .

How do you know that?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not related to 2012, what I'm referring to is in Montreal. Wasn't the tower supposed to be the place for the 1976 Olympic flame in 1976? It wasn't completed back then due to budget problems and other issuers, and I think they had to use another cauldron that is on the field inside the stadium. Am I right there? I'm not talking about 2012, I am referring to Montreal in 1976.

Hi all I have just joined but have been reading the forum intently; I think I have just found the evidence that the Cauldron will come from the tree.

article-2179736-140CE76A000005DC-865_964x622.jpg

There is a platform directly above the hole where the tree sits.

Wow. If this is the case, how will the cauldron be lit?

Wow. If this is the case, how will the cauldron be lit?

Someone mentioned about the image of the Thames being used and I see the ramp with the image of the Thames on it leading directly to the base of the tor.

I'm so excited to see how it happens - not long now

That platform has been there for weeks and has been discussed at length in this thread.

The Cauldron will not come up from there because it will never get through all the wires suspended across the arena above the tree.

Take a look at the video showing the Cauldron's actual flame at about roof top level and recorded earlier this morning London time. It was posted a few pages back earlier today in this thread.

I can't explain how it will get through the wires - however someone mentioned on one of the videos that the flame was flickering directly in front of the floodlight. It seems to me that this would pretty much match that scenario.

Maybe it doesn't come from the tree however I would put a good bet on this being the final position

I think AustralianFan is right - I think it is likely it will be attached to a fixed, solid structure. But all will be answered within the next 12 hours.

Matthew Pinsent carries the flame this morning. So he is not the final torchbearer I presume. It's a pitty he does not belong to the last eight or so in the stadium.

I think Cathy Freeman carried it the day of the ceremony in Sydney, although it could have been a couple of days before.

Just to add something, at the rehearsal on wednesday an EMPTY round dish was wheeled out.. It had no relevance, it was just a large dish and was not used.. speculation but could this be a mock-up or like a 'stand'?

I haven't been on here for a while now, so im not sure if this has been mentioned..

But i'll give it a whirl anyway ;)

Could this boat almost set the capital on ''fire'' ? and then finally culminate in the cauldron being lit?

I think Cathy Freeman carried it the day of the ceremony in Sydney, although it could have been a couple of days before.

Cathy Freeman was the lighter of the Sydney flame. She lit the flame in the pool of water and then a circular steel base came up the water. For some reason the steel circular base stopped and eventually made its way to meet the rising pole at the top of Stadium Australia.

That is absolute nonsense, even more than a floating cauldron. Come on, no offence, but get real.

Go back a few pages and take a look at the video :) - during the caudron lighting rehearsal shows the flame in a fixed position not floating or "swinging" around.

I think you need to get off your high horse and stop trashing other people.

Yes, a floating/suspended cauldron is possible.

The first stage of the Sydney cauldron dish could contain gas for 8 hrs burn time. So it is not impossible.

Heatherwick has told us to expect the unexpected.

Yes, a cauldron could be attached to the roof structure as well.

The truth is, only Rebekah Brooks knows how it is going to be lit and where it will sit

Just to add something, at the rehearsal on wednesday an EMPTY round dish was wheeled out.. It had no relevance, it was just a large dish and was not used.. speculation but could this be a mock-up or like a 'stand'?

Yeh I talked about the 'mystery disk' a few pages back - they wheeled it out at the end of monday's rehearsal also.

So it's obvious that Redgrave will be in the Shard and will fire a laser onto some land mark which will bounce onto another before reaching the Orbit. From the Orbit it will bounce onto the disk which will hit the cauldron and light it.

Simple...

Hi all I have just joined but have been reading the forum intently; I think I have just found the evidence that the Cauldron will come from the tree.

article-2179736-140CE76A000005DC-865_964x622.jpg

There is a platform directly above the hole where the tree sits.

I don't think it is possible for the cauldron to rest on the platform above the tor. despite the wires there also appears to be a flying camera directly above the platform. They aren't that heat resistant!

Yes but the point The Hawk was making was that Cathy Freeman carried the torch in the Torch Relay earlier, plus lighting the Cauldron in the pool of water at the Opening Ceremony.

Yes Cathy took the flame on the Opera House steps as well as the final torch runner... she got two good scenic runs actually :)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/1987174-3x2-940x627.jpg

Not trashing other people, but if an idea is put up on the forum, it will get honest direct feedback. Its not personal, its a forum, its meant to be a pool of discussion and feedback to each others views.

Have you viewed the video of the Cauldron's flame posted earlier today ?

Yes I saw it earlier today.

It is not clear - just a bright object that seems to sit perfectly in the middle of the stadium roof line.

Since it is a circular stadium and we don't from what angle the footage is taken, the object must sit in the middle of the stadium... Otherwise it would appear off-centre.

That is not correct. Since the camera is at the same direct line of sight level as the Stadium roof top, we dont know where it is at roof top level except that it is horizontally in a central postion as we look at the stadium.

The assumption that it must be in the middle of the stadium is not correct. It could be on this side of the stadium roof edge or the other side.

Sorry, I am not wrong. If the cauldron was in the middle of the arena, and since it is circular, from no matter where you look at the stadium it will be always appear to be exactly in the middle.

Following that 'logic', where would the flame be if in that video it was on the nearest Stadium roof edge to the camera exactly halfway or 'centrally' postioned on the stadium roof edge between the left and right sides of the stadium ?

See? It would still appear to be in the same position as shown in the video.

Well, it's position would be a result of the position of the camera man to the cauldron and the stadium.

For example:

If the camera man was standing directly east of the stadium, and the cauldron was sitting on the northern roof, then the cauldron would appear to sit on the right hand side in the camera mans view.

Because we don't know where the camera man is in relation to the stadium, there is a 1in180 chance he is exactly in line with the cauldron.

So, since it is unlikely he would be in this perfect position and the cauldron appears to be dead centre, I suggest it may be hanging directly in the centre of the circular stadium, where it is a 1in1 chance it appears dead centre.

nu4m, try this experiment at home:

• attach a small ball of putty (or playdough or similar) to the edge of a bowl.
  • place the bowl on a table
  • then get down and look at the bowl from about 3 metres away and with your eyes at a position where the putty ball is exactly halfway between each side of the bowl as you are looking at it.

The ball of putty is the cauldron.

Even though the bowl is perfectly circular, from the right angle it can appear to be centrally located - even though it is not actually in the middle of the bowl itself. Its an optical illusion.

Yes, that only works if you look at the bowl straight on. Turn the bowl 45 degrees and see what happens.

Thankyou. Exactly. So now you now understand.

You now understand that it is possible that the video camera could have been looking straight on at the stadium and the Cauldron could have been on the closest or furthest Stadium roof edge.

I never said you were wrong, it is you that now understands I am more right.

honestly, the idea that a flamng Cauldron for the first time in history is hanging dangerously above the middle of a stadium arena with thousands of people and lots of athletes and performers below is too far fetched to be plausible, practical, believable or SAFE.

In 1991 a flaming arrow to light the Olympic cauldron would have been considered too far fetched, too impractical, too unbelievable and too dangerous... But then in 1992 they did it.

Never say never.

Nonsense. You just admitted that looking straight on at the bowl that it works. You just posted that yourself, not me.

So you know that turning the bowl to left or right also turns the flame left or right.

But the whole point of this is what if the video camera was looking straight on at the stadium ?

And I'm saying it is unlikely he was.

Hard to tell but the angle of the video seems to be slightly from the southeast and the flame seems to be centered. So the flame is not in line with the south north axis of the stadium. Therefore it could be on the rim or dead center of the rigging but not at either end on the rim. The flame looks enormous, and at that intensity might creat a conflict with any of the lighting towers if located anywhere on the rim. At this point it seems to be in the center of the rigging.

Archived