London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since this might be the first time they are actually testing the gas & the flames onsite, they may have been calibrating the whole thing last night. What I mean by that, is that might NOT be the intended intensity of the flame, and they are still fiddling with the controls until they get it right. I can't imagine those tongues of fire will be shooting up 100 feet in the air. That seems like overkill. That's probably all that pent-up gas in the pipes waiting to be burned off--like they have to do with errant natural gas pumps.

Since this might be the first time they are actually testing the gas & the flames onsite, they may have been calibrating the whole thing last night. What I mean by that, is that might NOT be the intended intensity of the flame, and they are still fiddling with the controls until they get it right. I can't imagine those tongues of fire will be shooting up 100 feet in the air. That seems like overkill. That's probably all that pent-up gas in the tube waiting to be burned off--like they have to do with errant natural gas pumps.

i love it when you get it right. i agree - and maybe it will come from the centre of the arena... and the performers should be all sweaty.

are they going to do a massive blast of fire from the centre of the statium that shoots right up to a cauldron hung in the centre of the arena. that would be spectacular.

i love it when you get it right. i agree - and maybe it will come from the centre of the arena... and the performers should be all sweaty. are they going to do a massive blast of fire from the centre of the statium that shoots right up to a cauldron hung in the centre of the arena. that would be spectacular.

The more flames the better! I still liked the idea of the burning city, perhaps inappropriate but all the flames would be a spectacle... the "moment"

No-one here is superman and can tell with magical powers from that distance in the video anything about the Cauldron's location except that it is approximately at Stadium Roof top level and "appears" in the video to be centrally located - when in fact it could just be on the the stadium roof from that angle.

Well, where is Heatherwick's cauldron? Is it a 6-inch high sculpture? So they snaked the gas pipes up to one side of the roof? I doubt it. Why will they dig a hole in center field, build a massive stage 9-feet high? Why did Vancouver have to build a similar stage and dig a 15-foot hole in BC Place's concrete floor? Think about it. ;)

I just hope none of the overhead cables fried and that they can fix any damages in the remaining 12 hours left.

BTW, people, watch this Lighting of the 2010 Asian Games cauldron when it's done from underneath.

I don't think it's quite like that but the concept and the parameters of how to,or how NOT to do it, would be like that.

I now remember the first paintings of Beijing 2008 Birds Nest also had a flame hanging in the middle of the stadium. That would be so spectacular!

I think in that video it's the flame.. or .. it's a flame during the practice.

Incidentally, podium level just means the spectator ground level of Stadium Island as a whole. Many cast are held and depart from lower levels. I said 'on to' Podium level and not 'into' anywhere!

Just 15 or so hours to go though... and we will all see the full thing for real! Very excited this morning!

You obviously have not seen Video.

Look at that first.

It shows the Cauldron's flame coming to life during the lighting rehearsal and the accompanying fireworks.

One of the still images was taken from that video.

The other image is from a webcam in Olympic Park.

That was a bit insulting.

I did see the video prior to writing my post and I just watched it again. The quality is not great. I don't think it conclusively proves anything and I stand by what I said.

As I wrote, if the flame is visible outside the stadium either Oswald or ATR lied. Certainly possible, but it would be surprising.

I noticed a follow-up post to #2246 from a certain gnat. Some posters here are DEAD to me. Their posts are NON-EXISTENT and NON-VISIBLE to me.

Yet you pay them so much attention....

The Cauldron's flame will be visible to everyone in Olympic Park.

We wait tonight to see what the Cauldron looks like, how it gets to into position

and the method of lighting.

Most probably it will be a surprise like what happen in Sydney four years ago. My favourite thread on GamesBids.

Obviosuly the flame is visible but the Cauldron itself is not from that distance and being at night - too far away.

From that distance only the flame is visible in the video.

We will get to see the Cauldron on tv tonight during the Opening Ceremony..

What is this obsession of yours to disbelieve everything? U've talked yourself into wanting / not wanting to believe there will be/ won't be a cauldron over 227 pages... :rolleyes:

Psssst, watch the center of the stage tomorrow night. ;)

didnt heatherwick say that they would show the design of the cauldron at 9am on the 27th, which i think was around 20 minutes ago, (working off sydney time), if thats the case, can anyone find anything about it, because ive been looking all over to no avail

didnt heatherwick say that they would show the design of the cauldron at 9am on the 27th, which i think was around 20 minutes ago, (working off sydney time), if thats the case, can anyone find anything about it, because ive been looking all over to no avail

Right. But someone probably has to go to that Exhibit to see it or photograph it.

ahh, would be a massive favour if anyone in london could do that, become a forum legend for a day, im surprised though that there isnt any media there, absolutely no media coverage of the event today, they must not be as committed to finding out as we are

No, he said 9PM (and the exhibition is closed then). I suspect he meant that it would be in place on the morning of the 28th for the public to see.

although a suspended cauldron (a distinct possibility) will be very interesting, i did see a large bowl somewhere on one of the photos, maybe that is to be suspended, allowing both a hanging cauldron and something heatherwick designed.

Just read an article somewhere (probably the BBC) that the entrance of The Queen is also weather dependant, along with the cauldron just keeps getting more and more interesting...

Well then mateys time to say goodbye, so excited and can't wait, bit bizarre today feeling very proud to be British especially today.

Have fun, drink tea and be merry.

Unless there is a big in the complex network of flying wires now criss-crossing above the Stadium right across the arena , where is there a gap in the wires to allow a Cauldron to safely fit through ?

If you looked at my post weeks ago i said there is a whole at the centre of the wire complex...

Or ATR's report on Oswald that he thought that since the cauldron won't be visible outside of the stadium the flame won't be also. I doubt Oswald actually know how tall the flame will be and went outside the stadium to check if it's visible from the outside.

Are you saying that a flaming Cauldron is going to rise up from the Stadium floor and through a hole in the ceiling network of overhead theatrical wires ?

Then what will happen to the Cauldron once it reaches this hole (and that is providing it is not a windy night and wind gusts have not blown the flame around and melted the wires as it rises up)

I don't know!!!!!!! That's the point! :)

Are you saying that a flaming Cauldron is going to rise up from the Stadium floor and through a hole in the ceiling network of overhead theatrical wires ?

Then what will happen to the Cauldron once it reaches this hole (and that is providing it is not a windy night and wind gusts have not blown the flame around and melted the wires as it rises up)

no, people are suggesting that the cauldron will rest on the cables, it has already been proven that they are strong enought to support a considerable amount of weight

Archived