London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Hello! Hope all is well with everyone!

This is exciting, but like many, this waiting is killing me... hahaha!

But while on youtube, I stumbled onto this video... and at 0:08 is that a light, or is that something else... right in the middle of the stadium, flickering?

And there you have it its visible outside of the stadium!!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! Hope all is well with everyone!

This is exciting, but like many, this waiting is killing me... hahaha!

But while on youtube, I stumbled onto this video... and at 0:08 is that a light, or is that something else... right in the middle of the stadium, flickering?

Interesting....

Been going through all my photos from Sydney this morning, getting excited for this time tomorrow...

Here's a pic of the Sydney cauldron from behind the stadium. Can't wait to see what London do!

3f779c0c.jpg

59106fa3.jpg

I didn't mean to include that second pic, but it got included anyway - I was 9yo, there for one of the athletics sessions. Exciting times.

It is a big relief that we may now know at least that there is a cauldron and that it is being tested. It was obvious that the cauldron would not be tested during the dress rehearsal(too many people that would leak the secret). It is best that they wait until almost everybody left. My guess they will probably will test it once more tonight or early in the morning. The advantage of the nightime is that they can sneak the person or persons in who will light it and go through entire sequence of the cauldron . I remember the story of 1996 when they snuck Mohammed Ali into Centennial Olympic Stadium in the nightime using only a flashlight to guide him. I am sure they will pull it off.

The big question relating to the wires is how 'James Bond' will parachute in.

When they did the little bond theme section and a helicopter appearing over the stadium during the rehearsal - I'm there staring up expecting somebody to appear (they skipped the scene) and just thinking how the hell anyone would get through the wires. It will be a tight squeeze if he does get in.

I've been wondering too, but it sounds like a key part of the concept. What's the point of having Bond film footage and a helicopter if he doesn't parachute in? No idea what they'll do about the wires....

Yes it looks like the flame is on the top of the Orbit Tower Loop in the video,

When the fireworks go off you can see the silouhette of the loop against the fireworks and this definite flickering flame perched right on top of it.

Have a look at it guys. Where is that flame? It appears to be outside the stadium and at this angle above the roof stadium level.

I think you're looking at the wrong thing!

We are looking at the flame that appears 8 seconds in directing in the middle of the stadium itself.

Sorry if someone has said this already (haven't looked at this forum the last few days - trying at least)

As we noted by a few before(in the photo I attached ages ago), the skylight on orbit roof shows an area that one can look up at the flame from the observation deck. In other footage I have seen that the skylight is mirrored underneath the observation deck of the orbit, the idea im sure is so one can look up from the ground at the base of the orbit and see through the glass floor and skylight as see the flame above.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A8BC41CF688E70F9!2102

Either way, Its been great speculating with you all, no more spoilers for me, everyone enjoy the show.

I have that webcam on at the moment...the one from near the stadium. Stuff's definitely going on in there at the moment, although from looking at that video, we may be out of view of the cauldron by looking at it. I reckon they are practising the final moments as we speak.

I agree, the flame is not coming from the orbit, could it be transferred like doha 2006?,

i still think the orbit is such a strange coincidence, as much as I dont want it to be the cauldron.

Interestingly, the BBC's webcam looking over the Olympic Stadium stopped working in June 2011 - but the BBC's webcam looking over the Aquatics Centre still works. And so, there is a picture of the Olympic Stadium from 15 minutes ago:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/people_and_places/2012/newsid_8721000/8721105.stm

I love the idea of the Orbit skylight so people can see it from below. + I like the idea of the Orbit being the couldron anyway (see my London's Eiffel Tower jargon back a few pages).

And like AustralianFan I was looking at the light on the Orbit the first time I watched the video - though on the second time watching the flame in the stadium looks big.

So - maybe it is on the stadium and moves to the Orbit - or both.

If it was to move then perhaps that little cloud I mentioned or a laser would transport it.

Archived