London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's possible the Thames on the stage (and perhaps the real one) will figure in the cauldron lighting, but I have reservations.

I dont think the cauldron will be in the center of the stadium because it would have to be moved later for the field events.

Also, rivers flow one direction. If the Thames on the stage is used it will work more like the corridor in Athens. The flame will travel one direction and light a cauldron on the north end. I don't expect the flame to move from both ends towards the middle. The athletes could conceivably be moved to the sides (as they were for Kaklamanakis). I wouldn't expect crazy amounts of flame on the stadium floor or near the cables for safety and heat reasons.

I also think the cauldron lighting event is probably more self-contained than Baron's theory. It has been thoroughly tested elsewhere. If the Thames on the stage were going to erupt into flame, don't you'd think they would want to test that in place? I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think it's less likely.

Also, I saw nothing in that woman's response to Baron that served as a subtle suggestion that he was on the right track.

I dont see any likelihood that the Fire of London -- a major disaster -- would be commemorated in the cauldron lighting. It doesn't make sense.

You are right. And Montreal 1976 before that.

I even think Seoul 1988 and Montreal 1976 are the only summer games with a cauldron only visible inside the Olympic stadium?

And London 1948. Helsinki 1952 kinda - depends on what you consider their cauldron...the bowl on the floor or the vent on the tower.

I think it's possible the Thames on the stage (and perhaps the real one) will figure in the cauldron lighting, but I have reservations.

I dont think the cauldron will be in the center of the stadium because it would have to be moved later for the field events.

Also, rivers flow one direction. If the Thames on the stage is used it will work more like the corridor in Athens. The flame will travel one direction and light a cauldron on the north end. I don't expect the flame to move from both ends towards the middle. The athletes could conceivably be moved to the sides (as they were for Kaklamanakis). I wouldn't expect crazy amounts of flame on the stadium floor or near the cables for safety and heat reasons.

I also think the cauldron lighting event is probably more self-contained than Baron's theory. It has been thoroughly tested elsewhere. If the Thames on the stage were going to erupt into flame, don't you'd think they would want to test that in place? I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think it's less likely.

Also, I saw nothing in that woman's response to Baron that served as a subtle suggestion that he was on the right track.

I dont see any likelihood that the Fire of London -- a major disaster -- would be commemorated in the cauldron lighting. It doesn't make sense.

I think you make lots of valid points here. In your scenario that caldron would be positioned underneath the tor, which is pretty likely, and the river would be the corridor leading up to it, not the most amazing idea, but doable, safe and simple. But what about the hole in the center of the stadium? What's the purpose of that?

I think you make lots of valid points here. In your scenario that caldron would be positioned underneath the tor, which is pretty likely, and the river would be the corridor leading up to it, not the most amazing idea, but doable, safe and simple. But what about the hole in the center of the stadium? What's the purpose of that?

Surely it wouldn't be a hole for the fake-stage Thames to drain out into the real Thames, would it?? :lol:

It has to have a purpose planned long ago because it will be used after the Village-type setting is removed; and then they are done with the Satanic Mills & post-Industrial Age portions; and marching in the athletes. At that point, you're just down to the welcome speeches, bringing in the Olympic flag, the oaths the AND the Lighting...

Slightly off-topic in terms of this years cauldron I know, but something that's always interested me is what happens to the cauldrons AFTER the Olympics. The only one I know about is the Sydney Cauldron, which is now part of a fountain in a park nearby. Does anyone have information or even better, any pictures of other cauldrons post-Olympics?

I'm sure Adrian and FD will be chuckling when they read all this, given that they (think they) know where the cauldron is!

I now KNOW where the cauldron will be... They tested it post-dress rehearsal last night and since there were cast members still around and heading home, when we realised what was going on quite a few of us snuck :ph34r: onto the podium level and watched it being lit and then extinguished.

So there definitely is a cauldron and it definitely lights... I will say no more! #savethesurprise after all! :P

Slightly off-topic in terms of this years cauldron I know, but something that's always interested me is what happens to the cauldrons AFTER the Olympics. The only one I know about is the Sydney Cauldron, which is now part of a fountain in a park nearby. Does anyone have information or even better, any pictures of other cauldrons post-Olympics?

An event I organized earlier this year...

I now KNOW where the cauldron will be... They tested it post-dress rehearsal last night and since there were cast members still around and heading home, when we realised what was going on quite a few of us snuck :ph34r: onto the podium level and watched it being lit and then extinguished.

So there definitely is a cauldron and it definitely lights... I will say no more! #savethesurprise after all! :P

:( So close but so far! Please give us at least some hint.

Can't wait for tomorrow!I dont know what i'm gonna do all day.Probably sitting in the corner and waiting for 9 pm. :D

Oh this is a tease...thanks. Seems to confirm that it's inside. But do you know where it ends up? And did the "true" final torchbearer practice?

I've seen the Melbourne Olympic Cauldron at the Sports Museum within the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground)...it's actually pretty massive!...The first cauldron I ever saw in real life, followed by the Sydney one....and soon London's!

The 1992 cauldron is another one that remains on its place:

5182141379_ab0bdca16e.jpg

So this finally confirms it - it's a cauldron inside the stadium. First due to your "podium level" statement and secondly because if they really tested it last night, it would be extremely unlikely that no "muggle" noticed it if it really were outside the stadium or at least visible from the outside. So ATR keeps its good reputation - they didn't write nonsense!

my current thoughts on the cauldron....

the River Thames will be lit up and the flame will follow it all the way to the other side.....

the tree in the stand will move out the way to relieve a cauldron...which is lit by the flaming river......

the main structure that the cauldron will rest on will be outside......the shape will be street light shaped.......so an upside down "L"...which will reach over the roof and have a "hole" for the cauldron to be inserted into.

the 2 questions everyone will ask are: 1. "how will the cauldron reach the roof?" and 2. "how will they bring in the upside down "L" structure?"

answers:

1. either the cauldron will rise on a pole, or be lifted into place with "wires"

2. the "L" structure will come into the Olympic Park during the Athletes Parade on a vehicle that cranes usually come on......(so it would be strong enough for the Ceremony) and thereafter they will make it more permanent for the reminder of the Games.

What do you guys think???

error!

not " relieve" but "reveal"!

And by the way: Now the time has come to compliment London on doing a terrific job keeping the cauldron secret until opening day and probably also until the actual moment of the lighting. While Sydney displayed at least the stem of its cauldron way before the opening ceremony and while Beijing couldn't completely hide their cauldron under that rubber hangar and also not at the lighting test a few days before the ceremony, London hasn't given just the slightest hint inside the stadium (or outside ;)) how the cauldron will look like. Even its precise location is very much in doubt at this point.

That said, I very much hope that all that secrecy was worth it - and that the cauldron and especially the lighting will impress us, regardless whether it will be a huge special effect or a modest but very dignified or even emotional moment.

By the way - I just read this on Twitter:

702 ABC Sydney@702sydney

Sydney's #Olympic cauldron at Olympic Park will be lit on Sat morning at exactly the same time as London's cauldron is lit (before 9am)

A beautiful idea to light it at the same time! Just imagine if they did it with all still-existing Olympic cauldrons around the world!

A beautiful idea to light it at the same time! Just imagine if they did it with all still-existing Olympic cauldrons around the world!

I will light my kitchen stove and stogie (that's a cigar) at precisely the same moment to be in spirit with Sydney & London. The energy will flow thru my home in the San Francisco Bay Area!! :lol:

Just been watching the BBC news, maybe clutching at straws now lol, but anyone know what this is behind the presenters head to the left? It was there the whole time, even when the camera moved so it isnt a reflection I dont think. It looks like a ferris wheel or something.

cauldron.jpg

Archived