London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

So, my theory (and this is only a theory, so please don't shoot me down) whoever the final torch bearer is will point the torch to river thames marked out on the stage and the river will burn, a river of fire, snaking its way was the thames does to a cauldron which currently is hidden under the stage at the end. The cauldron will then be lit and raised to the roof, to the platform, at the north end...

As I say it is only my theory, and of course I could be so so so so so so so wrong, but thought I would share with you lovely people on here!!

Sounds reasonable to me. I can just imagine a darkened stadium, the Tower Bridge fireworks showing on the big screens then a runner emerges from the darkness, runs a snaking path along the 'Thames' and passes the torch to the cauldron lighter. Although, I've just realised the Thames stage is oriented to that the west, inland, end of the river is at the 'tor' end of the stadium. The entrance is at the seaward end of the river. That would spoil my suggestion although I still like yours and think its possible.

Good tidal facts! However most of the Lea and the Bow Back Rivers are non-tidal (with some new infrastructure linked with the Games). Not sure what difference that would make.

It could be difficultt to get a boat from the Thames into the Lea and canals at low tide. I don't know how much water is needed but I understand the improvement works included a new lock at the Thames confluence.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite like daveb81's theory, would be good if true! I do remember reading somewhere that Danny Boyle absolutely denied that it was the River Thames on the center stage, saying it was coincidental that it looked like the Thames. Now, that's suspicious. It is so obviously the Thames. Maybe he didn't want anyone to realise this as it's involved in the Cauldron lighting?

P.S will look for the interview!

I like this "Thames" idea. This would allow them time to link cables to it and lift it up.

But why the ledge at the North end? I think that's for spotlights. What about having the cables lift it up so it is "floating" in the middle of the stadium at the height of the top of the big triangular lights? Then they could pull it closer to the edge and it would be visible outside the stadium -- at least to people across from the Stadium Island. That would solve everything, except how to get the gas line to a cauldron held up by wires in mid air. I assume they could connect it afterwards somehow.

Also how extensively was the Tor used in the rehearsal? Did the tree lift out? That has to be where it enters the stadium...

I like this "Thames" idea. This would allow them time to link cables to it and lift it up.

But why the ledge at the North end? I think that's for spotlights. What about having the cables lift it up so it is "floating" in the middle of the stadium at the height of the top of the big triangular lights? Then they could pull it closer to the edge and it would be visible outside the stadium -- at least to people across from the Stadium Island. That would solve everything, except how to get the gas line to a cauldron held up by wires in mid air. I assume they could connect it afterwards somehow.

Also how extensively was the Tor used in the rehearsal? Did the tree lift out? That has to be where it enters the stadium...

The Platform is sitting in front of the Light Triangle, and there are no lights on it, all the other light boxes are around it, so it really just sits there waiting, I am sure if the cauldron was there you could see the flame from outside and most definatly from the Athletes Village as the North end is nearer to it.

I think daveb81 has an excellent scenario.

As for the 'strange disc', could that be the stage for the speeches and oath? Or maybe a live performance like Sir Paul? Did they practice that part?

No, there were no speeches however they will have to done at that end as I dont think they will want to stand on the man made hill, also the south end stage is close a lot closer to where the IOC family will be sitting

I like davidb81's scenario too. However, and I'm rushing out, did david say that to execute that scenario, the lighter must be at the southern end of the vast stage; dip the torch into the 'river', it goes ablaze...working its way up to the cauldron?? That's the only way I see it working. It is spectacular but very pyromaniac-esque..but I like it. And in which case, Heatherwick's design would really be secondary.

Or....if the cauldron is in the center...would they have TWO lighters at each end of the river and the flames meet up in the center? I think that's more spectacular!!

One problem with this 'river-aflame' scenario though is that the stage has to be clear for the full effect to take place and be appreciated. So that means, all the athletes must be in the lower part of the stage. So is that how this is all going to play out??

One problem with this 'river-aflame' scenario though is that the stage has to be clear for the full effect to take place and be appreciated. So that means, all the athletes must be in the lower part of the stage. So is that how this is all going to play out??

I'm sure the athletes will actually have seats and will be able to watch some of the show once they are in the stadium. (Could be wrong but I think I read that somewhere.

I would like to share my Theory of how the cauldron is lit and where it will sit.

I have just returned from the dress rehersal for the opening ceremony and I have to say it is amazing!!

Point 1 - However, there was one part of the stage that has been left out, on recent pictures of the stadium the centre stage has the river thames on it, during the rehersals this has never been used or seen.

Point 2 - There is a platform installed above the main stage at the North End of the Stadium, it sits empty and looks wide enough and big enough for an object (maybe a cauldron) it wasn't there a few weeks ago, but it is there now.

So, my theory (and this is only a theory, so please don't shoot me down) whoever the final torch bearer is will point the torch to river thames marked out on the stage and the river will burn, a river of fire, snaking its way was the thames does to a cauldron which currently is hidden under the stage at the end. The cauldron will then be lit and raised to the roof, to the platform, at the north end...

As I say it is only my theory, and of course I could be so so so so so so so wrong, but thought I would share with you lovely people on here!!

Isn't the river for the closing ceremony? Which had to be rehearsed pre-games too obviously. I'm sure I read that's what the closing ceremony is based around.

It was meant to happen in Sydney, according to Ric Birch. But it was vetoed by NBC.

I mentioned quite a few pages back I thought the Thames could be used, but it wasn't really in the way that davidb81 suggested. I thought, more, it could be used as the catalyst for a second cauldron. I must say, I much prefer davidb81's suggestion!

I've already answered that, if he was only asked about the opening ceremony, why would he give away more information? Why not keep a surprise? That article is written in terrible English, with such contrived phrases, I wouldn't be surprised if something was lost in translation anyway.

The point is, there is very little evidence to support anything written here. Unless someone on this forum has inside knowledge about the cauldron, we are all speculating. I see no reason why my speculation shouldn't be as good as yours but I sense a certain condescension in your tone. I'm sorry if I've committed some awful sin by joining in this discussion but I thought it was an open forum.

Yes, I will be disappointed if there isn't a cauldron visible in the Olympic Park. I'm not suggesting that, simply because of my disappointment, the cauldron should be visible to all. I am not an Olympics aficionado but, to me, the cauldron/flame is the enduring symbol of past Olympics. I don't believe I am alone in this and I am sure many visitors to the Olympic Park will feel disappointed if they can't see the cauldron/flame. You possibly are not aware that, even two months ago, there seemed little interest in the torch relay. The torch itself received quite a lot of criticism. LOCOG didn't take that as an opportunity to scale the relay back. As it transpired, since the very first runner, every mile of the relay route has been lined with members of the public. I really do not think, having kept faith with the relay, LOCOG will suffer a lack of vision over the cauldron and hide it away in the stadium.

We will know the truth in about 48 hours. If I'm completely wrong, I shall make a point of coming on here to eat humble pie. If, however, there are two cauldrons, or one that is visible outside the stadium, I may return and treat your comments with the derision you have shown for mine.

The whole journey wouldn't be possible on the Thames but the Olympic Park is on the River Lea and canals which connect to the Thames. As part of the park construction works, navigation was improved on the canals.

I dont understand your reaction to my posts. They are factual. You did say that you expected to ser a second cauldron because you would be disappointed if you couldn't see the flame. I asked to confirm that you actually meant what I read. You did.

I don't know what's happening with the cauldron. Multiple cauldrons are possible. Moving a cauldron is possible. I don't think either of those options are likely, but I've never said they were impossible, so I'm not sure why you're contemplating the whole "I-told-you-so" bit in the event that one of those scenarios comes to be.

If the cauldron is visible outside the stadium, there are two possibilities:

1. Denis Owald was deliberately misleading (either flat out deceptive or just intentionally omitting key facts). Possible, but not likely IMO.

2. ATR is fabricating information. Also possible, but not likely.

That's my take. Evidently it's very important to you to find some way to show how Oswald's comments do not preclude a publicly visible flame. I am sorry you're disappointed. I probably would be too if I were in London. There's no attack here. Just disagreement. Because it is a free and open forum, you need to be prepared to have people disagree with you and explain their views. That's all I've done.

I was watching a webcam of the Stadium and all of a sudden this huge white light started developing around the stadium........ this screen cap was taken at around 11:45am Eastern Standard time USA....approx 4:45am London time. Could this be cauldron related?

23k8cqr.png

I know this was awhile ago, but in terms of this article...

The IOC states that the cauldron must be visible to the majority of the people in the surrounding area. It's not even required to be in the Olympic park. In addition the people attending the opening ceremonies must be present for (a/the) lighting. The biggest reason vancouver had two cauldrons was because it was an indoor stadium. I don't think london will have two because unlike Vancouver they don't NEED to.

I have been a lurker for a while, and now my excitement has gotten the better of me.....

In the above picture, that is a huge fireball if it is the cauldron lighting... the shape and top of the light makes it appear to be some distance from the stadium.

I am convinced the cauldron as others have said is under the stage....

OK; I will bet AthensFan's first-born child ( ;) ) that it will be the 'river of flames/Great Fire of London' scenario.

#1 - They said it would be "big." Well, I think in terms of square footage put to flames, this might be the biggest yet. Conceivably, the whole stage, representing all of London, could go up in flames. Is that what those criss-cross markings are for?

#2 - Yes, that representation of the river has to account for something. I know Adrienne kinda scoffed when I commented that the post-countryside floor (w/ the Thames river) could not have LED lights (a la Beijing) because it would take a lot of poundingand wear-and-tear . (Oh. that's when he said...blah...blah...blah and rudely waved me off. But then, he became contrite afterwards; so he was forgiven.) So, it won't because the 'river' sections or the entire stage will be flammable. I'm sure he had gotten kinda nervous because I had gotten close to something crucial.

#3 - Yes, this is something they would test far away from London. (Funny, that the rising Cycladic head of Athens was tested in a lake outside Harrowgate. Hmmmm, I wonder if they tested this 'river' thing in the same locale??

#4 -OK, if they had to ask the PM's special permission, then it might've been "Would it be OK to show a burning river...which could also represent the Great Fire of London"...but really w/o negative connotations?

#5 - And,if they follow my scenario of using TWO lighters (one at each end of the river), then as the flames reach the center, the cauldron should rise up then and 'grab' the flames coming to it.

#6 - Heatherwick's design may be dwelling-like to connote that this is a recreation of an historical 'moment' (to quote Heatherwick) namely, the Great Fire of London of 1666 - so the mark of the devil!!. (And they are already showing a lot of house-like structures in the earlier Artistic portions; so a foreshadowing.)

Thus, now the theme of the show should really be: Isles of Wonder, City & River of Flames. Nice.

P.S. They cannot use the "river" for the Closing because that stage will not be rebuilt for the CLosing. I think the last day of competition will be the Saturday before, so at most, they will just put some platforms there.

It's been a pleasure speculating with you all about the cauldron and the ceremony but seeing that we were unable to discover the cauldron before the rehearsal I will save it as the one surprise of the night. so in order to keep the surprise safe I am having a complete gamesbids shut down till the opening ceremony airs in California. I like looking for clues, dissecting construction patterns and things like that but I don't want to be out right told what it will be by seeing pictures and video of the finished product in rehearsal. for Beijin I discovered that the cauldron was going to be a scroll weeks before the ceremony and felt proud of the revelation on the night seeing it in it's full glory but now I would feel cheated if i got a glimpse of the cauldron before it's alight for real.

Continue to have fun and remember to write your own person review of the show.

After thinking about it more, I revise the scenario. So, if they 'recreate' the Great Fire of 1666/Blitzkrieg days of WW2, then it would NOT be the 'river,' but the rest of the stage. I think the atheltes will march on the 'river' much like in Beijing, they tramped all over that paper drawing. And which is why the exact center of the stage is NOT demarcated on the Thames' silhouette, but in the land proper of the map.

See overhead view here: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Politics/Pix/pictures/2012/7/12/1342111330409/Aerial-view-of-the-Olympi-001.jpg

When it's time for the cauldron-lighting moment, and now it makes sense that they may use 5 Lighters--because they're needed to start the flame at 5 points on the periphery of the vast stage. So, the whole stage minus the river goes up in a combination of pyrotechnics (representing the Blitzkrieg) & flames. and when it all culminates in the cauldron in the center, the cauldron will actually be a phoenix-like structure or something representing how the 'new' London rises from the bombing and ashes to become one of the great cities of the world.

I think that's a more exciting, compelling scenario than the 'river.' And Adrienne's poo-poohing my comment about it not being an LED floor & his reaction, makes complete sense now. The 'river' would not go up in flames because it remains the lifeline of London; but the rest of the layout would. This is what I would go with if you asked me.

I think you may be onto something Baron... just a few questions - how do you set the city section of the stage alight without setting the whole stadium into a burning inferno? The stage looked to be on scaffolding, perhaps a metal surface...

also where are the athletes in this scenario? in the lower section next to the burning city surface? In most summer games ceremonies, once they get the athletes in, the athletes normally take up the entire center section and leave the running track for the torch to run around. So if the athletes are in the lower section, I am not sure how they will get the torch to do a lap around the stadium before they unveil the cauldron lighting. Interested in your thoughts! :)

(the paper that the athletes walked over in Beijing was a nice touch, wonder where that is now..)

LOCOG says it is a single lighter: "the unanimous choice"

Where did they say that?

Until now I cannot find any information about Thomas Daley and carrying the Olympic flame. So I think he certainly will be one of the final 8 or so torchbearers in the stadium.

Archived