London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Has there been any evidence at all that suggests multiple cauldrons? I haven't seen any. No, I suppose no one has come out and said "There is only one cauldron," but I haven't seen a single interview or story where there is even the slightest suggestion that there might be more than one.

I couldn't say for sure if there has or there hasn't. However today we've statements on ATR that the cauldron will only be visible inside the stadium. We have also seen planning documents identifyimg the location of the cauldron on the northern concourse. Two cauldrons is the only way to reconcile these 'facts'.

I do not think LOCOG would make such a courageous decision to only have a cauldron inside the stadium. After the success of the torch relay, which has captured the imagination of the nation, they would dissapoint thousands and leave themselves open to massive criticism.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't say for sure if there has or there hasn't. However today we've statements on ATR that the cauldron will only be visible inside the stadium. We have also seen planning documents identifyimg the location of the cauldron on the northern concourse. Two cauldrons is the only way to reconcile these 'facts'.

I do not think LOCOG would make such a courageous decision to only have a cauldron inside the stadium. After the success of the torch relay, which has captured the imagination of the nation, they would dissapoint thousands and leave themselves open to massive criticism.

Well, it's a theory, but I still don't see evidence to support it. Imagine this: if you are Denis Oswald, why would you say "The cauldron will only be visible inside the stadium" when you know full well that there is a second one visible outside? I also question whether the criticism would be as "massive" as you expect.

Could this be how the torch reaches the stadium?? It ties in with the river flowing through the centre of the set.

On the 27th, the torch/flame leaves Hampton Court (south west of London, on the river Thames) on its journey to the Stadium (east London). No further details are given of the route, although I think I have read that it's leaving Hampton Court by boat.

Perhaps the different torch could be beause this was a rehearsal?

With regards to the ATR article- is it possible that their source actually meant that the cauldron will only be visible inside the stadium during the ceremony? Or does he specifically say for the duration of the games?

My point exactly!

On the 27th, the torch/flame leaves Hampton Court (south west of London, on the river Thames) on its journey to the Stadium (east London). No further details are given of the route, although I think I have read that it's leaving Hampton Court by boat.

Perhaps the different torch could be beause this was a rehearsal?

It seems very likely that this is the route it's going to take, and I'm sure it'll be shown in the ceremony, especially since they've made the effort to include all the fireworks and bridge opening.

I'm sure the different torch was just a test- probably to check if the flame could stay alight at the speed of the boat.

Well, it's a theory, but I still don't see evidence to support it. Imagine this: if you are Denis Oswald, why would you say "The cauldron will only be visible inside the stadium" when you know full well that there is a second one visible outside? I also question whether the criticism would be as "massive" as you expect.

This is Great Britain, we moan about everything! :)

Is the Olympic Stadium close to the Thames though? I mean, is there a way to get the flame from Hampton Court to the Stadium by boat? How long does it take?

The stadium isn't a huge distance away from the Thames/Tower Bridge- although the journey wouldn't be possible completely by boat.

Discovered a very interesting video of some firework effects being tested on Tower Bridge:

Good spot.

As others have said, the torch is resting in the Pool of London in early afternoon and will be arriving at the stadium later (obviously). I know of someone who's accompanying it up the River Lea as part of a coxed eight boat, so a speedboat wouldn't be the only way it travels. But I do like the dream of the Thames being involved in the lighting - think back to Sydney's chain of fireworks in 2000.

Coincidentally it requires a special dispensation to travel at that speed west of the Thames Barrier; there are no notices of the river being completely closed between now and the end of the games; and there are no scheduled lifts of Tower Bridge on Friday.

I'm guessing this was a shoot for either a segment of the TV show on Friday (unlikely), or something for our friends at NBC (possible)?

Am I right in saying there was a final rehearsal this evening? That would leave almost 48 hours to move something into place in the stadium and we would be none the wiser with the no-fly-zone now in place.

It is possible to get to the stadium from the Thames by boat, though through some very narrow canals. Not a pretty route! Having said this, I would be very surprised if that video isn't a rehearsal for something flame related that we will see on Friday night.

It goes to city hall from about 2pm until it goes to the stadium. They haven't specified how it gets to the stadium.

I believe that the small waterways surrounding the stadium are linked to the Thames because they have advertised being taken all the way up to the gate of the Olympic park via boat. From there it would be easy to get close to the stadium.

Hello all, I've been following this thread for some days now and it's brilliant, I love the speculation and excitement.

In reply to the recent posts about getting the flame from Hampton Court to the stadium by boat.. it's probably a no. Day 70 of the Olympic Torch Relay will see the torch take a tour of the maze at Hampton Court, then get on a boat, travel down the Thames until it reaches Tower Bridge in the afternoon where it will stop. It won't then be seen again in public until the Opening Ceremony.

As reference... here's the official page, look on the right hand side. http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchrelay/day70

It goes to city hall from about 2pm until it goes to the stadium. They haven't specified how it gets to the stadium.

I believe that the small waterways surrounding the stadium are linked to the Thames because they have advertised being taken all the way up to the gate of the Olympic park via boat. From there it would be easy to get close to the stadium.

Quite so as this map shows.

You'd be thinking of the Water Chariots - knowing the story of those involved in setting this up, this was a hugely wasted commercial opportunity. Hey ho.

I wonder if it's perhaps something in the style of what Melbourne did in their Commonwealth Opening Ceremony in 2006: they set up a pathway of floating barges on their river, on which the baton was walked across towards the stadium throughout the ceremony. TV coverage occasionally cut to show the progress of where the baton was.

Something similar might work well in this case- with the coverage cutting to show the torch making it's final journey towards the stadium?

Day 70 of the Olympic Torch Relay will see the torch take a tour of the maze at Hampton Court, then get on a boat, travel down the Thames until it reaches Tower Bridge in the afternoon where it will stop. It won't then be seen again in public until the Opening Ceremony.

It seems feasible then that after being held at Tower Bridge, it will leave during the ceremony- which is when the display happens?

i think it will be great for the Olympic cauldron to be lit in the stadium, so that everybody has an equal view of the "moment"......

But in order to ensure everybody feels part of the Games....the Cauldron should be moved after the ceremony above the Stadium, so that all Olympic Park visitors are able to share the views....

Without this, the Olympic Park will lose it's identity....

The Flame should always be at one of the highest points of any Olympic Park.....

Welcome templeryan!

I wouldn't put too much faith in that BBC timeline. There was a brilliant idea of rowing it down the Thames which was cancelled for alleged safety fears; there will be a substitute for at least part of the journey.

Hmm, true! The official London 2012 website http://www.london2012.com/torch-relay/route/ doesn't reveal much. Just that it travels on boat to Tower Bridge, then makes its way to the Stadium.

It seems feasible then that after being held at Tower Bridge, it will leave during the ceremony- which is when the display happens?

Ya' know what? I literally just thought of that!

I've already answered that, if he was only asked about the opening ceremony, why would he give away more information? Why not keep a surprise? That article is written in terrible English, with such contrived phrases, I wouldn't be surprised if something was lost in translation anyway.

The point is, there is very little evidence to support anything written here. Unless someone on this forum has inside knowledge about the cauldron, we are all speculating. I see no reason why my speculation shouldn't be as good as yours but I sense a certain condescension in your tone. I'm sorry if I've committed some awful sin by joining in this discussion but I thought it was an open forum.

Yes, I will be disappointed if there isn't a cauldron visible in the Olympic Park. I'm not suggesting that, simply because of my disappointment, the cauldron should be visible to all. I am not an Olympics aficionado but, to me, the cauldron/flame is the enduring symbol of past Olympics. I don't believe I am alone in this and I am sure many visitors to the Olympic Park will feel disappointed if they can't see the cauldron/flame. You possibly are not aware that, even two months ago, there seemed little interest in the torch relay. The torch itself received quite a lot of criticism. LOCOG didn't take that as an opportunity to scale the relay back. As it transpired, since the very first runner, every mile of the relay route has been lined with members of the public. I really do not think, having kept faith with the relay, LOCOG will suffer a lack of vision over the cauldron and hide it away in the stadium.

We will know the truth in about 48 hours. If I'm completely wrong, I shall make a point of coming on here to eat humble pie. If, however, there are two cauldrons, or one that is visible outside the stadium, I may return and treat your comments with the derision you have shown for mine.

The stadium isn't a huge distance away from the Thames/Tower Bridge- although the journey wouldn't be possible completely by boat.

The whole journey wouldn't be possible on the Thames but the Olympic Park is on the River Lea and canals which connect to the Thames. As part of the park construction works, navigation was improved on the canals.

The whole journey wouldn't be possible on the Thames but the Olympic Park is on the River Lea and canals which connect to the Thames. As part of the park construction works, navigation was improved on the canals.

Ah good point- I'd forgotten all about the canals! So a journey from Tower Bridge to the stadium by boat is very possible!

I would like to share my Theory of how the cauldron is lit and where it will sit.

I have just returned from the dress rehersal for the opening ceremony and I have to say it is amazing!!

Point 1 - However, there was one part of the stage that has been left out, on recent pictures of the stadium the centre stage has the river thames on it, during the rehersals this has never been used or seen.

Point 2 - There is a platform installed above the main stage at the North End of the Stadium, it sits empty and looks wide enough and big enough for an object (maybe a cauldron) it wasn't there a few weeks ago, but it is there now.

So, my theory (and this is only a theory, so please don't shoot me down) whoever the final torch bearer is will point the torch to river thames marked out on the stage and the river will burn, a river of fire, snaking its way was the thames does to a cauldron which currently is hidden under the stage at the end. The cauldron will then be lit and raised to the roof, to the platform, at the north end...

As I say it is only my theory, and of course I could be so so so so so so so wrong, but thought I would share with you lovely people on here!!

Ah good point- I'd forgotten all about the canals! So a journey from Tower Bridge to the stadium by boat is very possible!

On the night of the 27th, high tide on this part of the Thames will be about 7.20pm. Low tide is about 1.15am and it is low (little more than 1m). This could affect the viability of taking a boat all the way to the Olympic Park.

Hey,

So I had a look at the video posted a few pages back where the user said stop at the 1:30 mark.

That strange disk thing is actually a good point.

The scene which is taking place in the video was the last scene (or 'act') before the audience was asked to leave the rehearsal.

While people were leaving the disk was moved opposite the bell and positioned almost vertically as if it was facing the bell.

Since I and everyone else had to leave - we have no idea what use the strange disk has.

I would like to share my Theory of how the cauldron is lit and where it will sit.

I have just returned from the dress rehersal for the opening ceremony and I have to say it is amazing!!

Point 1 - However, there was one part of the stage that has been left out, on recent pictures of the stadium the centre stage has the river thames on it, during the rehersals this has never been used or seen.

Point 2 - There is a platform installed above the main stage at the North End of the Stadium, it sits empty and looks wide enough and big enough for an object (maybe a cauldron) it wasn't there a few weeks ago, but it is there now.

So, my theory (and this is only a theory, so please don't shoot me down) whoever the final torch bearer is will point the torch to river thames marked out on the stage and the river will burn, a river of fire, snaking its way was the thames does to a cauldron which currently is hidden under the stage at the end. The cauldron will then be lit and raised to the roof, to the platform, at the north end...

As I say it is only my theory, and of course I could be so so so so so so so wrong, but thought I would share with you lovely people on here!!

well seeing as though you've been to the rehearsal and it was not used, that does seem quite possible. And in fact, probably much better than most people have in mind....

Probably one of the better theories so far....

On the night of the 27th, high tide on this part of the Thames will be about 7.20pm. Low tide is about 1.15am and it is low (little more than 1m). This could affect the viability of taking a boat all the way to the Olympic Park.

Good tidal facts! However most of the Lea and the Bow Back Rivers are non-tidal (with some new infrastructure linked with the Games). Not sure what difference that would make.

Archived