London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Oh, just to add (in case it turns out to be connected and then I can say 'I told you so') while walking around the stadium on Monday (on the stadium island) I noticed this weird little steam train thing kinda covered up next to the stadium.

Well it wasn't quite a train - but looked close to it. Bit odd.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching the webcam on and off over the past two hours. I haven't seen anything of note, sadly. It would make perfect sense to be lighting it up around 4am, three days out. We might have to wait for 48 hours from now, like we did with Sydney.

Still find it absolutely incredible that no one has the slightest idea, outside those who know what it will be.

Looking back at the Beijing cauldron thread, someone posted images of that cauldron being tested in the early morning hours of August 5th. That Ceremony was of course three days later on the 8th........

*Correction. It was the 6th, Beijing time. You can see that thread here:

I still am adamant the Orbit isn't the cauldron - but some aren't believing Mittal.

http://www.aikenstandard.com/story/OLY--Olympic-Tower-0960

But has the public just not seen its true purpose?

It seems perfect to hold the Olympic cauldron.

Mittal, whose company donated the steel and is funding most of the $36.5 million project, maintains there is no place for the ceremonial flame atop the tower.

But The Associated Press was told it could not access the looping structure this week because games organizers are preparing it for Friday's opening ceremony and are trying to keep parts hidden from the public.

"It's strange if there are no ties to the Olympic cauldron, to make sure when the flame was lit for the entirety it could be seen all around from an open area," Anna-Maria Sponaski, a native of Vancouver, British Columbia, said Tuesday as she peered up at the tower.

I so strongly want to throw in the towel and just wait it out, but alas...I CANNOT!!! I am trying, but Friday cannot come soon enough, and because I am in America and NBC is not showing the ceremony live, everyone else in the world will know before me. I am literally disconnecting myself from the grid during the ceremonies so I can enjoy them as they should be. Alright, I get it...save the surprise. So here are my theories in no particular order. I just gotta get em out into the world. I'll wait until the big moment to find out.

That damn orbit, despite it all, it could be the placeholder and I know that its far off and I hope it does not. Let's hope it's closed because they are rigging it with fireworks, lasers and other ceremony related stuff.

The cauldron will rise from somewhere in the stadium and be lifted after lighting into place somew

here on a support near the rim of the stadium.

The cauldron has been installed as a hydraulic lifting tower and is under one of those white domes around the stadium that all but one are decoys meant to appear early in the construction to hide the cauldron.

I swear if the cauldron appears via a laser ignition on the shard after a smaller stadium cauldron is lit, I am gunna be very unhappy.

Either way, I have a huge respect for LOCOG an all of people there in London that are keeping this a secret. I love and hate you all for saving the surprise. I hope you inspire a generation and give me cold chills in this the start of a history making games!!!

With this video , besides the other one that was published yesterday, together are 30 minutes out of 1 hour, so I have watched half of the ceremony 3 days before. First time that happened this. According to what I have seen so far I can asure London won't top Beijing...

:(:wacko:

What about Rio 4 years time???

I so strongly want to throw in the towel and just wait it out, but alas...I CANNOT!!! I am trying, but Friday cannot come soon enough, and because I am in America and NBC is not showing the ceremony live, everyone else in the world will know before me. I am literally disconnecting myself from the grid during the ceremonies so I can enjoy them as they should be. Alright, I get it...save the surprise. So here are my theories in no particular order. I just gotta get em out into the world. I'll wait until the big moment to find out.

That damn orbit, despite it all, it could be the placeholder and I know that its far off and I hope it does not. Let's hope it's closed because they are rigging it with fireworks, lasers and other ceremony related stuff.

The cauldron will rise from somewhere in the stadium and be lifted after lighting into place somew

here on a support near the rim of the stadium.

The cauldron has been installed as a hydraulic lifting tower and is under one of those white domes around the stadium that all but one are decoys meant to appear early in the construction to hide the cauldron.

I swear if the cauldron appears via a laser ignition on the shard after a smaller stadium cauldron is lit, I am gunna be very unhappy.

Either way, I have a huge respect for LOCOG an all of people there in London that are keeping this a secret. I love and hate you all for saving the surprise. I hope you inspire a generation and give me cold chills in this the start of a history making games!!!

So what channel is broadcasting the games in America?

With this video , besides the other one that was published yesterday, together are 30 minutes out of 1 hour, so I have watched half of the ceremony 3 days before. First time that happened this. According to what I have seen so far I can asure London won't top Beijing...

What about Rio 4 years time???

Of course they won't! Beijing's budget was £200 million, ours is £27 million (i think) you can't replicate a ceremony of that brilliance with so little money in comparison! The opening ceremony I believe will be amazing though, we always put on a good show.

Having said that, I've just seen something on BBC news that makes me wonder if the cauldron could be north east of the stadium. The news was being broadcast from the studio overlooking the Orbit. Towards the right hand edge of the screen I briefly saw a yellow flash lasting a second or two (not a beacon on a vehicle).

There are a couple of very tall zebra crossing type lights outside the stadium so was probably one of those.

Yes, that gap is at the far right of the Stadium in this photo which is the Northern end of the Stadium :) .

Sorry Australianfan, it's not. That gap is the VIP section. The back of the Tor has the wrap for sure - I've walked through it; it's at 149/150. The VIP non-wrap starts at about section 104 - they'd be cricking their necks round to 7 o'clock to see anything in that direction.

Based on two shaky videos that don't show everything that's going on? There's a reason that the one showing the transformation are category D seats on the night. :ph34r:

quote from ATR

Around the Rings is told by sources familiar with the situation that the decision not to construct a cauldron visible throughout the Olympic Park was influenced by plans to reconfigure the stadium after the Games to a smaller capacity, as well as budgetary.

IOC coordination commission chair Denis Oswald tells ATR there definitely is a cauldron, but confirms it will only be visible within the Olympic Stadium.

The absence of a cauldron visible from outside the stadium is a first for the Summer Games of the recent era

ATR

Just seen some latest pictures, theres something being buil to the South of the stadium near the orbit! Any ideas?

image-6-for-olympics-weather-gallery-766004397.jpg

Where?

quote from ATR

ATR

Stupid choice.

And the stadium will not be reconfigured until the 2017 Athletics World Championships, right?

And if it's true, I am so glad I yesterday could buy a athletics ticket so I can be inside the Olympic stadium once.

If what is reportes by ATR is indeed true, and it is only visible inside the stadium it will be the biggest dissapointment ever!

Really! one of the biggest, if not the biggest symbol of the olympic games and it is only visible to those lucky enough to have tickets!

To me the Olympic flame should be visible to all! (even if it is on the Orbit :P)

sorry if this has already been covered, i thought that the PM was consulted regarding the size of the budget of the ceremonies, do we specifically know if it was about the lighting method and cauldron?

That's interesting as the angle of the photo is deceptive, the apex of the waterways looks to be about where the wrap gap is just in the photo.

. "Sources close to the situation ?". This story sounds too flimsy to be credible. No names, places or dates are mentioned. Anyone could have made this story up. I for one do not accept this 'rumour' which at this stage is nothing more than that - an unsubstantiated rumour (hogwash in other words). The PM does not get involved in Cauldron lighting approvals if it's a standard cauldron lighting within the stadium. Until firm evidence emerges to the contrary, then I believe London is still going for a unique an unconventional Cauldron lighting in a position able to be see by most in the stadium and Olympic Park.

That's interesting as the angle of the photo is deceptive, the apex of the waterways looks to be about where the wrap gap is just in the photo.

. "Sources close to the situation ?". This story sounds too flimsy to be credible. No names, places or dates are mentioned. Anyone could have made this story up. I for one do not accept this 'rumour' which at this stage is nothing more than that - an unsubstantiated rumour (hogwash in other words). The PM does not get involved in Cauldron lighting approvals if it's a standard cauldron lighting within the stadium. Until firm evidence emerges to the contrary, then I believe London is still going for a unique an unconventional Cauldron lighting in a position able to be see by most in the stadium and Olympic Park.

It's Around the Rings. It's pretty reliable.

And one source is the IOC commission chair, so I'm not sure what more you are looking for.

well, that's what I've been saying lately. It is in that hole in center field...and then it looks like it will just be moved somewhere a little higher w/in the stadium's bowl. So they did select to use the gas lines installed w/in the stadium. You guys were as crazy as jackrabbits looking all over the place!! :lol:

sorry if this has already been covered, i thought that the PM was consulted regarding the size of the budget of the ceremonies, do we specifically know if it was about the lighting method and cauldron?

The consultation was: Sorry, PM, we ain't gonna have a BIG cauldron that competes w/ the wacky Orbit. We'll just have a mini-Me cauldron. You OK with that?

PM Cameron: I guess so.

And since it looks like it will be a small one, that ledge over the Tree/Tor area looks very much the Mini-Me cauldron's Games-time resting place.

I'm totally OK with a small cauldron. I mean the obsession with another giant tower was too much.

Now the question is: Who and what will the lighting manner be, since it's just rising from the ground? I think nothing spectacular. Just very simple...like the Games of the 50s and 60s. That's why there have been NO spectacular rehearsals as well. They're probably rehearsing the simple bit at a mock-up at the 3 Mills studios.

And, of course, they're hoping that the hydraulic mechanism for the center hole won't do a Sydney-Vancouver m.o.

Well I think that with two days to go there is only one thing to say!

Who'd like a cup of tea then?

Actually, the cauldron itself might be in the form of a teacup, no??? Or maybe Lighter will light like a large teapot...then the teapot bends over and "lights" the teacup?? It's all vedy, vedy Bringlish as the jabberwocky might say.

Oh I know, Her Majesty will don a jetpack...and then will be lifted from her VIP seat and land on center stage and light the teapot! Now, that'll be SPECTACULAR!! :D

There are many spots in the stadium where a cauldron could appear. The stage is covered in trap doors, the bell looks like it is movable, the grass hill could host a cauldron.... It could be carried out through any of the entrances or it could be lifted to float over the atheletes.

I tend to think it will be lifted -or part of it lifted- over the atheletes, mainly because there is a heavy duty looking pair or cables with a running track that is separate to the other over head wires. These wires stretch from the bell to the grassy hill. The look like they are designed to carry something very heavy.

Anyhow, I can wait to see what Heatherwick and Boyle have dreamed up.

Archived