London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah so the gaps are nothing significant- I'm still pinning my hopes on the mysterious black fence! :P

If anyone's wondering by the way, the presenter in that screencap is demonstrating a rather snazzy system the BBC have for bringing up different streams and information- it works almost like an Xbox Kinect, with the presenters making gestures to bring up different tabs. Very nice!

So...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/18975735

We may be getting someone not famous lightining the caldron.

Lots of "maybe" and "could be." Doesn't say much. He's obviously friends with Redgrave so he may know, but there's no way to tell. The whole thing could be a red herring.

I like Pinsent though. He's always seemed like a very nice guy.

They certainetly could assemble parts of the cauldron at a secret location and wheel it into sthe stadium or outside under the cover of darkness and test it. But that black fence is interesting. It could be simply be used for the utilities(water, power,). The security could be soo no one tries to poison the water or do something to the power. But then again who knows!!

Hi, I don't if you knew but apparently the athletes will sit (not 100% sure) after the parade. This information comes from our french athlete Tony Estanguet (Kayak) who was flagbearer in Beijing and who gave some advices to Laura Flessel: our flagbearer at these Olympics.

This is the sources (french): http://www.lejdd.fr/Jo-Londres-2012/Actualite/Tony-Estanguet-donne-ses-conseils-a-Laura-Flessel-porte-drapeau-francaise-aux-JO-de-Londres-533197

He says: "C’est aussi excitant que fatigant, mais je crois que, pour la première fois, on sera assis et non plus debout au milieu du stade."

In english :" It's as exciting as it's tiring, but I think that, for th first time, we will sit and not standing in the middle of the stadium"

I didn't knew that before now.

I'm just posting that because it shows that, the scene should be totally available for the cauldron's lighting scene.

Excuse me if this new isn't interesting to that topic, I'm just sharing what I know. :D

So...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/18975735

We may be getting someone not famous lightining the caldron.

As said above, do not underestimate the importance of the Games slogan 'Inspire a Generation'. It was the youth pitch (and Blair's lobbying) that won London the Games; the slogan covers the hoardings in the stadium; there's every chance this theme will be carried through to the lighting.

As said above, do not underestimate the importance of the Games slogan 'Inspire a Generation'. It was the youth pitch (and Blair's lobbying) that won London the Games; the slogan covers the hoardings in the stadium; there's every chance this theme will be carried through to the lighting.

Good point. Salt Lake City's theme in 2002 was light the fire within and that was reflected in the cauldron as well. The 1980 US men's hockey team lit the cauldron from within. Could we see a member of the younger generation light the cauldron, but then again the lighting is always a moment that inspires a generation...

It sounds like Sir Matthew would make a good member of this forum, I think he is speculating just like the rest of us.

Perhaps he's already among us!!

Good point. Salt Lake City's theme in 2002 was light the fire within and that was reflected in the cauldron as well. The 1980 US men's hockey team lit the cauldron from within. Could we see a member of the younger generation light the cauldron, but then again the lighting is always a moment that inspires a generation...

You don't have to be a member of a generation to inspire it. In fact, it's more likely that the inspiration will come from an older generation.

Are you suggesting a pile of children will be set alight?

But really - I don't think Tom Daley is getting another attention in regard to who will be lighting the cauldron. He is not just the poster boy of London 2012 but the poster boy of the sporting youth. It would also fit in with the 'inspiring a generation' tagline.

I really like the idea of Roger Bannister, Steve Redgrave and Tom Daley lighting it together showing the three generations

I was not suggesting that Paul. I was thinking maybe two or three local children because again it would put the focus on how the cauldron is lit rather than who lights it. The I think a "pile" of lighters could only work if it invoked some imagery of past Olympic history like how the Salt Lake cauldron lighting invoked imagery of the 1980 miracle on ice. Otherwise it would look like a mess. That being said Paul, your guess seems like a really good fit for the slogan if they were use that as inspiration. If they went down that route, could that also mean three cauldrons with three different designs? One could be inspired by the 1908 games, another being a replica of the 1948 cauldron and then one new design for the current games…

Another very revealing vid of 15 minutes of the rehearsals. This time from the opening segment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C9jsCn6Mlo&feature=plcp

Like I said before, watch it/save it before its taken down.

In this vid you can see the whole sequence of the transformation of the stage.

Actually that gap in the wrap is in a typical Cauldron position where the VIPs look to their left (not straining) along the 100m straight to see it. As we know this has occurred in several Games.

It is at the apex of the waterways and would appear to be close enough it seems to the northern area outside the stadium where the gaslines were planned to be laid.

Keep an eye on the gap i guess ....

Now you've confused me. In thepianoman's picture, the gap is at the far right of the stadium:

3.jpg

You're correct- a bit difficult to see in this shot, but it's there!

I think that would be almost behind anyone sitting facing the 100m finish. I'm sticking with my original interpretation of it being by the VIP enclosure/hospitality area outside the stadium. The 'white dome' and black structure, which isn't shown in this link, is almost behind the 100m start: http://wellingtonhousebcn.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/london-olympic-stadium-2012.jpg

Having said that, I've just seen something on BBC news that makes me wonder if the cauldron could be north east of the stadium. The news was being broadcast from the studio overlooking the Orbit. Towards the right hand edge of the screen I briefly saw a yellow flash lasting a second or two (not a beacon on a vehicle). I rewound the clip and saw a column light up (from ground upwards) and then a flame yellow light on top. It could just be a sculpture I suppose as I hav to say the yellow light didn't look very flame like. I'll try taking a few pictures but don't know how to post them.

Archived