London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

o0ry46.jpg

This is the area I was referring to which shows where the large black cube structure is being built in the Northwest by the pods. Notice how its been built above the walkway which appears to lead into the stadium itself.

This is an old photo. That ramp leads down to one of the vomitories that lead into the stadium itself, and the two gangways are cable bridges linking down to the several barges on which some of the monster amount of power units for the stadium sit. You'll see those barges in a series of photos way, way back in this thread.

Sorry to be the bearer of disappointing non-cauldron news!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering if those barges in these earlier June photos are still there off to one side in the canals at the northern end of the stadium and if those objects on them have revealed themselves as yet ....

CanalobjectsJasonHawkes-3244_xlarge.jpg

Ah yes, here's a later photo of that spot. Trust me. I've seen them.

I'm sure we'll still hear "the first city to host 3 Games" quite a few times.

Rogge' speech at opening of the 124th IOC session yesterday:

“The Olympic Games exist for the athletes, but they are not just an epic sporting contest. The Games bring Olympic values to life for a global audience. By providing a stage for the world’s best athletes, the Games give meaning to the concepts of friendship, excellence and respect, and all the qualities that they embody.”

He continued: “London has a special place in Olympic history. London will be the first city to host the Games three times.”

IOC

Ah yes, here's a later photo of that spot. Trust me. I've seen them.

I say this particular spot is worth watching, there sure is a lot of action and building going on around it. That structure seems bigger and more covered in the newer photo. Any idea of what that barge contains?

Of course, he would say that. As I said, the larger cities (LA and London primarily) would tend to obliterate the fact that previous, smaller cities actually achieved the first records. They (IOC included) think that the public for the most part are idiots who don't read or rack up the correct historical records.

True, it's well worth watching this spot.

Someone else posted earlier in this thread that they were power generators on the barge in that photo from a few weeks ago.

It was me. They are Aggreko generators. I've seen them, heard them, smelt them, almost touched them. They are not an Olympic Cauldron.

Next guess please!

It was me. They are Aggreko generators. I've seen them, heard them, smelt them, almost touched them. They are not an Olympic Cauldron.

Next guess please!

Well if the barge contains generators, there is no telling what the temporary power is for, or if there is another some kind of other supply near by we can't see. I would imagine the main power cables for the complex were lied a long time ago. Either way, that area still looks suspicious. You have the area fenced off around a large covered structure over a walkway that seems to keep getting bigger, the walkway leads from the north plaza area and down into the stadium through a possible tunnel. (this is also the only ramp and tunnel I see throughout the area around the whole stadium).

I'm afraid this is the only photo of 'mystery area' I have and it was taken Monday night - so less than 24 hours old.

It is strange that there is still construction going on with just 5 days till the opening ceremony.

ntdna.png

Well, u can split hairs about it. Innsbruck hosted 3 Olympic (Winter) Games; senior/junior combo pack. London, 1st city to host 3 Summer Games, senior brand. Oy!! :rolleyes:

Are you incapable of following a thread? Rogge referred to London as the first city to host the Olympic Games three times. I posited that this actually makes sense if you do not consider the YOG to be true Olympic Games. And I, for one, don't. I consider them to be a sideshow, a futile and silly attempt to pander to young people, and a blemish on the Olympic Movement.

I'm sure Rogge doesn't share my exact opinion on the matter, but apparently he doesn't consider them to be true Olympic Games, either. So blame him for splitting hairs.

I'm afraid this is the only photo of 'mystery area' I have and it was taken Monday night - so less than 24 hours old.

It is strange that there is still construction going on with just 5 days till the opening ceremony.

ntdna.png

Who says that there's still construction going on? It could also be just some sort of cage to protect spectators from those high-voltage power lines.

• Host City Contract with the IOC
  • Inspections by IOC Coordination Commission
  • Torch lit in Olympia
  • Olympic Torch Relay
  • Opening Ceremony
  • Olympic Flag
  • Olympic Hymn
  • Olympic Sporting Oaths by Athlete and Official
  • Olympic Cauldron
  • Olympic Sporting Competitions
  • Closing Ceremony

... sound familiar ?

You forgot:

• Bastardized versions of real Olympic sports that no one plays (e.g., 3-on-3 basketball)
  • Co-ed teams and mixed-nation teams
  • Continental teams in some sports
  • Participation restricted by age
  • Miniature team-sport tournaments with participation limited to one per nation
  • Virtually zero attention paid by world media

In my view, the YOG just dilutes the Olympic brand and cheapens the Olympic Movement. We already have an Olympic Games for the "youth of the world" - they're called the Games of the Olympiad. For some sports, the Games of the Olympiad actually is, for all intents and purposes, a youth competition. (Soccer of course, and have you ever seen an Olympic gymnast who could not be described as a "youth"?)

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the merits of the YOG. :)

Of course, he would say that. As I said, the larger cities (LA and London primarily) would tend to obliterate the fact that previous, smaller cities actually achieved the first records. They (IOC included) think that the public for the most part are idiots who don't read or rack up the correct historical records.

Or he doesn't consider the YOGs in the same league as the Olympic Games -- which is the point I was making. That says a lot considering how he pushed the YOGs through. They were born on his watch. They were his pet project. This was the perfect opportunity to claim their legitimacy and dub London "the first 3-time host of the Summer Games." If ANYONE had a reason to do that it was Rogge. He didn't.

Clearly the YOGs should not be equated with the Summer and Winter Olympic Games. The president of the IOC and father of the YOGs says so himself.

London is the first three time host. Full stop.

Are you incapable of following a thread?

EXcuse me? I MERELY qualified to a farther degree the whole controversy going about this 3x thing. ANd the "U" was a general you. Are you incapable of following a conversation? :blink:

You are entitled to your views but you will find that by far the majority of the thousands of young athletes who are in training now, who attended the SIngapore 2010 and Innsbruck 2012, their coaches, families, national sporting bodies and international sporting federations, National Olympic Committees and the International Olympic Committee itself would strongly disagree with you.

It is these very representatives that supported this initiative as voted in by a majority of the IOC membership. The next edition is in Nanjing 2012 Summer Youth Olympic Games followed by 2016 WInter Youth Olympic Games in Lillehammer. Several cities are currently bidding for the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics.

It is the much needed bridge for much younger developing athletes to get to the level of the elite older youth athletes, thats the whole point you are missing.

The Summer and Winter editions of the IOC initiated Youth Olympic Games are here to stay - better get used to them.

Agreed. FULL STOP!

You are entitled to your views but you will find that by far the majority of the thousands of young athletes who are in training now, who attended the SIngapore 2010 and Innsbruck 2012, their coaches, families, national sporting bodies and international sporting federations, National Olympic Committees and the International Olympic Committee itself would strongly disagree with you.

Hey, I know that until I'm appointed to the IOC (or become president of an IF) my opinion is worth ****. No need to rub it in.

That said, I wouldn't be quite so confident about YOG's staying power. The world media greeted both Singapore and Innsbruck with crickets. It is a drain on the IOC's coffers. It is a pet project of Rogge and the rest of the IOC is well-known for clumsy attempts to appeal to young people (beach volleyball, anyone?). Give it another few cycles and we'll see how willing they are to keep financing this luxury.

EXcuse me? I MERELY qualified to a farther degree the whole controversy going about this 3x thing. ANd the "U" was a general you. Are you incapable of following a conversation? :blink:

Only if it's in English. :blink:

Guys, your "three-times host city" has gotten to a point where you hijack this thread and obstruct any discussion about the original topic. If that "three-times" thing is so important for you, could you open a separate thread for it? Thank you!

Last Friday I went to see the third Batman movie, The Dark Night rises. What, you may ask has that to do with this thread? Well, depending how you look at it, it could be the 10th Batman movie. That's the point, "Rises" is the third movie in the Nolan/Bale series but the 10th overall.

London is the first city to host three Olympic games of the summer series. Innsbruck has hosted three games of different series. That's not to devalue the winter or youth Olympics, or Innsbruck's achievement in hosting three games, but they are different.

Guys, your "three-times host city" has gotten to a point where you hijack this thread and obstruct any discussion about the original topic. If that "three-times" thing is so important for you, could you open a separate thread for it? Thank you!

Then could you please tell us where the cauldron is? Thank you!

Archived