London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right so I'm back from the rehearsal and can sadly say I'm non the wiser. However the show was amazing.

* Firstly I noticed the rings around the roof/edge of the stadium - however during the show they turned out not to be part of the cauldron but as part of the performance (as seen in the photo above. And I can confirm it is completely real and not shopped.)

* Secondly, there are 4 main clouds which circle the stadium, obviously part of the countryside section of the show. However I noticed that on the roof, on the section above where the tree is - there is a smaller, squarer cloud which was unused. Though eventually that too was used for a later part of the show.

* The show does seem to have a lot of things coming out of the ground - so would it be impossible for the cauldron to raise from the middle of stadium?

* The show also has a lot of things flying in from the air so perhaps the cauldron could be suspended.

* I like the idea of a laser linking from Shard to the cauldron - perhaps going to other landmarks in the process. (Though that has of course already kind of been done).

*What what I saw at the rehearsal, the tree did not make any contribution to the show, the hill leading up to it was used as a stage for music acts a couple of times as well as the flag poles - so surely the tree will be used for something?

Finally - I did find some fireworks (at least that's what it looks like) on a barge floating in the river.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2vneu02.jpg

Right so I'm back from the rehearsal and can sadly say I'm non the wiser. However the show was amazing.

* Firstly I noticed the rings around the roof/edge of the stadium - however during the show they turned out not to be part of the cauldron but as part of the performance (as seen in the photo above. And I can confirm it is completely real and not shopped.)

* Secondly, there are 4 main clouds which circle the stadium, obviously part of the countryside section of the show. However I noticed that on the roof, on the section above where the tree is - there is a smaller, squarer cloud which was unused. Though eventually that too was used for a later part of the show.

* The show does seem to have a lot of things coming out of the ground - so would it be impossible for the cauldron to raise from the middle of stadium?

* The show also has a lot of things flying in from the air so perhaps the cauldron could be suspended.

* I like the idea of a laser linking from Shard to the cauldron - perhaps going to other landmarks in the process. (Though that has of course already kind of been done).

*What what I saw at the rehearsal, the tree did not make any contribution to the show, the hill leading up to it was used as a stage for music acts a couple of times as well as the flag poles - so surely the tree will be used for something?

Finally - I did find some fireworks (at least that's what it looks like) on a barge floating in the river.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2vneu02.jpg

Ok, just thinking.....

We have seen confirmed pictures of the tree being suspended in air in this thread (correct?)... if they did not show the tree moving at all during the rehearsal, couldn't that be a tell tell sign that the cauldron is somewhere within the tor? Although the picture of the tree in air could have just been them installing it from a crane.....

Ok, just thinking.....

We have seen confirmed pictures of the tree being suspended in air in this thread (correct?)... if they did not show the tree moving at all during the rehearsal, couldn't that be a tell tell sign that the cauldron is somewhere within the tor? Although the picture of the tree in air could have just been them installing it from a crane.....

I agree, and being at the top of the hill it really seems like it should have a role to play.

Another thing I noticed was the water-wheel was still on the stage even after all the rest of the county-side props and 'things' were taken off.

Maybe it's just a logistical thing since it is a pretty big structure but just food for thought. I would have thought they could have made it easy to dismantle - especially since there were 2min+ breaks to take it down.

If you all don't mind revisiting one of our previous tangents, Rogge himself referred to London as the first 3-time Olympic host in his recent speech to the IOC in London: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rogge-confident-games-leave-legacy-london-213304985--oly.html

Does anyone else have a comment on this? This looks interesting to me...

Extremely suspicious. I'm SO tempted to say "I told you so," but it's still too early.

I'm not sure about the gold(?) umbrella-like things, but the black structure behind them next to the stadium are simply external stairs leading to the stadium's upper bowl. They've always been there as you can see in older pictures of that side of the stadium

But I agree, those umbrella-like things are suspect. We need closer, clearer pictures.

I'm not sure about the gold(?) umbrella-like things, but the black structure behind them next to the stadium are simply external stairs leading to the stadium's upper bowl. They've always been there as you can see in older pictures of that side of the stadium

But I agree, those umbrella-like things are suspect. We need closer, clearer pictures.

I absolutely agree, this has been my thought as of recent. I'm not trying to kill the surprise but enhance it. I am excited for Friday but I am very curious about this cauldron. I need them to bring the glamour that Atlanta didn't in design, and that China lacked in emotion.

...but the black structure behind them next to the stadium are simply external stairs leading to the stadium's upper bowl...

There is a larger black structure connected to the stadium at the back (or on the other side to where the Orbit is) however I think its just an area for VIPs seeing how it is right where the IOC members/queen ect are sitting in the stadium.

I did however notice this weird area which half looks like it is still being constructed next to the Olympic Stadium + the white dome? Anyone got any ideas?

ntdna.png

There is a larger black structure connected to the stadium at the back (or on the other side to where the Orbit is) however I think its just an area for VIPs seeing how it is right where the IOC members/queen ect are sitting in the stadium.

I did however notice this weird area which half looks like it is still being constructed next to the Olympic Stadium + the white dome? Anyone got any ideas?

ntdna.png

is that on the north side? Yeah; looks intriguing.

Is it possible that those 5 rings would fly around and would be reunited alltogether as an official 4 rings logo on the top of the roof in the area floodlit on its north side ???

And that would link in with the 5 final torch bearers that have been rumoured in the news!

ntdna.png

Could this be it? If it's on the north side of the stadium, where all the planning applications have pointed to, then this is surely what we've been looking for? Looks very similar to how Vancouver's cauldron looked during construction- anyone got any closer shots?

Greetings everyone from Dallas, Texas USA!

I have been following this thread over the past week and have been reviewing everyones comments and suggestions and finally decided to join the conversation.

Dallas was actually on of the cities considering bidding for the games in 2012, but was eliminated by the USOC during its bid selection process. You can read more about that here. http://www.gamesbids.com/english/bids/usa.shtml

Much has change in Dallas since then, urban development has grown, our public transportation system has expand and improved (also one the cheapest systems in the US), and new sport venues have been built. We hope to submit a potential bid again to host the games in 2024. You can read more about the 2024 Summer Olympic Games and its bids here on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Summer_Olympics

At this point, I'm kind of clueless like most in this thread of where the London 2012 Cauldron will be located, but I will say I do not believe it will be on the orbit. This has been reported many times it is not the location if you do some research. (Athensfan I'm sure will be glad to hear this since I know he has gone over and over again on this multiple times.)

In respond to the latest large black cube structure seen above, (Which is indeed being built on the Northwest Side of the Stadium) this structure was starting to be partially built about the same time as the pods surrounding the stadium were which is shown here in this photo from Wikipedia. The photo is dated April 16, 2012. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Olympic_Park%2C_London%2C_16_April_2012.jpg

Although it's hard to confirm or see what this structure is or contains at this point, I think this could be a strong possibility of the cauldron location since it is north of the stadium, is fenced off, a guard is standing out front, and is surrounded by black coverings. Only time will tell as the opening ceremony gets closer.

I'll try to keep up with the thread as much as I can, but until then, I wish London all the best on the games! Congratulations on winning the title of being the first city to host the Summer Olympic Games 3 Times!

And that would link in with the 5 final torch bearers that have been rumoured in the news!

I highly doubt that since they have already been used as part of an act. And actually there are only 4 rings on the roof. The 5th (and centre ring) comes from elsewhere (i'll #savethesuprise and won't tell you where) but it is awesome when they do join together.

In respond to the latest large black cube structure seen above, (Which is indeed being built on the Northwest Side of the Stadium) this structure was starting to be partially built about the same time as the pods surrounding the stadium were which is shown here in this photo from Wikipedia. The photo is dated April 16, 2012. http://upload.wikime..._April_2012.jpg

Yeh that is the VIP I was talking about. I've explained it more here. I am guessing that it is a bar/lounge place but it would make complete sense as they would need somewhere to look after (wine and dine) the IOC members.

zjglky.png

Yeh that is the VIP I was talking about. I've explained it more here. I am guessing that it is a bar/lounge place but it would make complete sense as they would need somewhere to look after (wine and dine) the IOC members.

zjglky.png

That VIP section isn't what is shown above. Thats located to the west of the stadium. The area in the posts above is located just below the VIP section in that picture in the Northwest near where the pods are. Also now I get a better look at it, this structure is being built directly above the walkway which appears to lead into the stadium itself.

Thanks Hawk and Paul for posting this, finally some firm evidence.

The Orbit is off the list and so my shortlist is down to one, a separate external tower structure, but no signs of that anywhere.

I can't see them taking a backward step and going for a little ceremonial Cauldron or a Seoul-style Cauldron which could only be seen by those inside the Stadium once ignited.

4 days to go, a hidden Cauldron structure or pre-assembled hastily erected one has got to make it's appearance very soon you would think, for testing on-site.

Does anyone know if there are any more rehearsals this week?

- perhaps the Cauldron will be installed and tested some after the last of the rehearsals.

Yes, I'm going to the final rehearsal tomorrow evening!

Archived