London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Are the media really ever considered about cauldrons and their location or how they're going to be lit?

You always get your op-ed pieces run on host cites' local papers speculating about who may be the one to light the cauldron or about the ceremony in general, but I've never seen a story speculating about the cauldron itself.

Any examples for London's (or any previous host for that matter)?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the media really ever considered about cauldrons and their location or how they're going to be lit?

You always get your op-ed pieces run on host cites' local papers speculating about who may be the one to light the cauldron or about the ceremony in general, but I've never seen a story speculating about the cauldron itself.

Any examples for London's (or any previous host for that matter)?

Sydney certainly did - and had journos casing the Olympic Park in the final weeks to see if they could snap any clues.

*concerned, not considered

Sydney certainly did - and had journos casing the Olympic Park in the final weeks to see if they could snap any clues.

Ahh ok. I imagine that one was a bit of a mystery too for some time.

Just throwing my two cents in......

I do not believe it is the orbit, but if it was the orbit, why would the LOGOC admit it? They wouldnt expose the location before the OC! They could just be deterring people from the obvious.... just food for thought.

No. They just wouldn't confirm or deny it. Denying it and then it turning out to be there, would be tantamount to "lying" or misrepresentation. But if it has been officially denied; then we should take it at that.

I have to admit, I'm ready to cash in my chips too and admit they got us. I have no clue where the cauldron will be and honestly, the revelation at this point might as well be a spoiler.

With that, I'm out. See you guys (and gals) Saturday morning after the American East Coast transmission of the OC is complete and we'll debrief then.

I'll have to find a picture of me on the Stadium Australia pitch about three weeks out from the opening ceremony. Where the stage was to be eventually was all covered, but so too was the area where the fountain/tracks leading up to the top were. If I were to do it now...I'd have guessed the cauldron was there.

For all of you doubting and making fun of what I wrote here before, here is the article in one of the world's oldest and most respected sport newspapers. Hope you all can read Spanish or at least Google it. http://www.oem.com.mx/esto/notas/n2578635.htm

Alberto Lati has been televisadeportes.com specialized envoy for the Olympics and World Cups. He has been in London for over a year and has one of the best dream jobs in the world. He is also dying to discover all the inner works of the ceremony and has talked to many more people from IOC and LOCOG than we can ever dream of.

You can keep track of his discoveries at twitter.com/albertolati or watch him on TDN or Canal de las Estrellas networks, available worldwide.

Hope I can bring another one here soon.

PS He clearly states that Heatherwick himself told him that it was the lighting method that required an auth from the PM, whom, by the way, at that time, was visiting Mexico. Orbit fans, read the article carefully.

Hi Mexico68 and thankyou for posting the link with the Heatherwick interview and the bit about the British PM's approval being required for the lighting.

I thought that was the case in earlier posts, but wasn't sure who had said that and when.

Are you able to translate the relevant paragraph in the interview at all?

(or can give tips on the keywords to use in the google search?)

The Google translation of the relevant paragraph:

What will happen to the cauldron? What form and under what mechanism will turn on? Just last Friday I interviewed its designer, Thomas Heatherwick, on condition that the design is confidential and nothing that I could express. Still, his words caught up with three conclusions: first, that will be spectacular, futuristic, and second, which is fully integrated into the ceremony directed by Danny Boyle, and third, which is something bold, Heatherwick explained that it sought permission British Prime Minister, David Cameron, to make such a cauldron with such power. For now, the cauldron has been built at a secret location in northern England, where he has also already passed tests.

Are you able to translate the relevant paragraph in the interview at all?

(or can give tips on the keywords to use in the google search?)

I'll give it a try...

It basically says the caldron design is spectacular and futuristic and that the caldron lightning is integrated with the OC direction. It also says that Heatherwick has asked David Cameron's permission to use that particular kind of lightining and that the caldron was built in northern England where it has been through tests already.

Maybe they are not using gas pipe lines but other methods and that's what they need the PM permission for...

And if the cauldron and method of lighting are so unusual, what does that mean for the identity of the lighter? If a satellite is going to zap the cauldon with a laser does poor old Roger Bannister have to go into outer space? Obviously that's a crazy example. I'm just trying to imagine how the traditional honored post of cauldron-lighter could work with a very unconventional method of lighting... Will be interesting to see. I really hope it WORKS. If its a dud that would be awful.....

lol Unless they are planning to use coal instead of gas as a fuel source to reflect the industrial days lol just kidding. still think we may be reading too much into the Prime Minister's approval but hey with nothing else to go on anything is possible.

I had thought the PMs role might have been exaggerated too, but then again we keep hearing about it....

So, Heatherwick had to wait until David Cameron was in Mexico in early June, so like 45 days ago, for the G20 meeting in Los Cabos (or a concurrent state visit) to ask for his permission?? They couldn't have asked his office while the PM was still in London...like about a year ago or so?? And what if the PM had refused?

:blink:Tres, tres bizarre et incredbile!!

So, Heatherwick had to wait until David Cameron was in Mexico in May for the G20 meeting in Los Cabos (or a concurrent state visit) to ask for his permission?? They couldn't have asked his office while the PM was still in London...like about a year ago or so?? And what if the PM had refused?

:blink:Tres, tres bizarre et incredbile!!

1. maybe it was just accidental because the time......

2. a year ??? i think it will take very long time to design the cauldron so a year ago?? i don't think so

3. if the pm had refused? no cauldron of course!!! no until they had a safe design

I guess the answers to all our questions will be answered some time after the Opening Ceremony, whenever Danny Boyle and Thomas Heatherwick will be ready to spill the beans.

This may not be until after the Paralympics Closing Ceremony.

No. What I'm saying is the time sequence of that report is TOTALLY unbelievable. How could they only get permission 45 days ago when to get that thing, whatever it is, into production + testing, etc., etc. and all that, should have been MONTHS ago; NOT like 45 days ago? So that story is really hooey.

I just find this editorial slant quite incredulous...so as to make it appear that it will really be a MONUMENTAL thing.

1st off, the IOC had to approve it, as they do the whole ceremonies concepts. What if they approved it, and then the PM's office said "no"? How embarrasing would that have been for Seb Coe & Danny Boyle to have done that. So it would be back to the drawing board-- and then what? present it to the PM first. OK, he approves it. And then what if the IOC didn't like it the 2nd time? So, how much time did they have left? No; the whole thing should have been approved months ago.

It just seems so wildly unrealistic in terms of how matters of state, and this is some trivial ceremonial thing, work.

2. a year ??? i think it will take very long time to design the cauldron so a year ago?? i don't think so

uhmmm....Ric Birch kinda had the Sydney cauldron design finalized like 5 years before 2000.

- Atlanta announced their choice of designer in November 1993. Armajani had 1994-1995 to conceptualize, design it. Lighting tests were conducted on that awful girder in February 1996. It was then moved and assembled in Atlanta in May...so like 60 days before the July 29 (I think) opening.

- Salt Lake had picked their design firm in Sept 2000; the ultimate cauldron design was finalized in March 2001 (so eleven months BEFORE the Winter Games); the mock-up immediately began in Burbank. It was installed in place & gas tests were conducted in the 3rd week of January...so a good 3-4 weeks before the Opening.

- Beijing,if I remember right, had finalized their final design and sent it to production in December 2007.

London, except for the security guard thing, seems to have done everything well in advance....and then they will wait 45 days for such an important part of Ceremonies to get it finalized? The IOC Oversight Committee won't let such tight deadlines happen.

I still think the Shard has a part to play in all this.

Not sure how, the name of the building, the building itself, and all the renders of their "inauguration" [even though the inside is still a building sire] reflected the London Brand to me. Was their laser and light show some sort of test? Whatever it will be I am sure London will pull it off spectacularly!

The possibilities are endless. But I would like to know how accurate that Heatherwick interview that Mexico68 kindly posted earlier today :) .

Any volunteers to translate from Spanish ?

The more we share of what will happen at the opening of London 2012, the more we get confused.

They know and trust the vast creativity of the filmmaker Danny Boyle, who is in charge of the project. It is understood that the budget was doubled in order to enable something truly spectacular. They have clues about what the Olympic Stadium may appear on July 27, but on Tuesday, after observing a scale model, each media made their own interpretation.

The opening ceremony will be based on the work of William Shakespeare called "The Tempest" and on a main theme called "Islands of Wonder." The director of the Shakespeare Theater Company in London, Michael Boyd, explained to me weeks ago that makes complete sense that it has taken up this specific work of the most widely read writer in the history of the English language: "It is the idea of Britain as the island in the play 'the Tempest'... Because we are an island, because it raises many questions of how to live, how to deal with falling in love, how to deal with abuse of power."

However, the information that was shared to the press today (essential to say: it wasn't an open event which allowed inquiries, but a simple briefing with photos included) speaks of a farm in the area of the entire stadium for the first scene. This sequence is called "Green and Pleasant," referring to the English countryside.

There appeared many live animals, such as twelve horses, three cows, two goats, ten ducks, seventy sheep, surrounded by regional flowers of the four British nations: the English rose, the Scottish thistle, the Welsh daffodil and the Northern Irish linen. Will also emerge a river in the middle of the forest scenery in one of the largest scenery in history.

What will happen to the cauldron? What form and under what mechanism will turn on? Last Friday I interviewed its designer, Thomas Heatherwick, under the condition that the design is confidential and nothing could be said further. Still, from his words I was able to caught up with three conclusions: first, that will be spectacular, futuristic; second, that is fully integrated into the ceremony directed by Danny Boyle; and third, which is something bold, Heatherwick explained that it sought permission from the British Prime Minister, David Cameron, to allow the cauldron to be lit. For now, the cauldron has been built at a secret location in northern England, where he has also already passed tests.

A Mexican woman living in London will participate as a volunteer at the opening, although, in the same case: letter of absolute confidentiality, even considering that she still did not participate in any rehearsal and haven't seen anything.

We are one month and a half away. Many puzzles and, from the mystery, we often feed the passion.

Alberto Lati

13 June 2012

Archived