London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Can i just say, if anyone is reading this forum and thinking of blowing the surprise, please think again. We are only 5 days away now and everyone has worked so hard to keep it a surprise. Can we please have that surprise, for once.

You are allowed to not open this thread.... as we are allowed to try to know....

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like many other people I would like the surprise but my curiosity sometimes gets the better of me. I was not telling anyone what to do, I just suggested it would be nice to have a surprise seeing that we have come this far without the location being uncovered. Shoot me.

I agree - they've kept it secret so long I hope they manage to keep the secret until the night, and I'm wavering about whether or not I should exit this forum for a few days to avoid it being spoiled, though frankly think if it does leak it'll be in the press anyway so I won't miss it - and let's face it spoiler tags are useless. I defy anyone to not let their curiosity get the better of them.

See, told you.

In relation to the 5 cauldron lighters, in Vancouver, Steve Nash was one of the cauldron lighters. He is an American basketball player born in Canada. If this is the case... They could have asked Justin Bieber! I kid I kid!

Since when is Justin Bieber born in Britain (if that was what you meant)? He's born in London, yes -- but in London, Ontario.

And Steve Nash was actually born in South Africa and grew up in Canada. His nationality is Canadian -- and not American, even if he has been playing there for a long time.

Given that he is a basketballer and competed in Sydney, Steve Nash was probably the most questionable of the 4 Vancouver cauldron lighters (there were 4 chosen, not 5 as Rick Hansen wheeled the flame into the stadium and I guess in a way only 3 as Catriona didn't really get to light it until the closing ceremony as her 'arm' didn't raise), the organizers likely felt he earned that honour because he has done a lot for sport in BC and Canada.

Frankly, I would have replaced Nash with Marc Gagnon, but VANOC wasn't listening to me. ;)

Given that he is a basketballer and competed in Sydney, Steve Nash was probably the most questionable of the 4 Vancouver cauldron lighters (there were 4 chosen, not 5 as Rick Hansen wheeled the flame into the stadium and I guess in a way only 3 as Catriona didn't really get to light it until the closing ceremony as her 'arm' didn't raise), the organizers likely felt he earned that honour because he has done a lot for sport in BC and Canada.

Nash, Le May and Hansen all should have been final-night torch-bearers or part of the flag squad. But I thought it was ridiculous that anyone was included with Gretzky. Gretzky is a God in Canada. He's not just the best ice hockey player to have ever lived - he's the best player who ever lived by a substantial margin. Frankly, I thought it was a dishonor to Gretzky to have him share the cauldron-lighting duties. I guess karma saw to it that the lighting would be botched.

How rude. Why?

There was nothing insulting about my post. I simply said that LOCOG has beat us all and that in the absence of new information tangents are to be expected and I don't feel guilty about participating in them. I'm not jumping all over people, criticizing them left and right. If it's fun for you to speculate further, please do so, but don't get too bothered by a bit of topic drift considering the situation.

Then you told me to leave.

The whole point of this forum was to discuss the cauldron location no? You stated in your comment that you strongly believe there is no point in trying to search for the location anymore and that LOCOG have beaten us, which is true in my opinion. So I suggested that you should leave if you think there is no point in searching for the location anymore, which is what this forum was created for, it wasn't an order!

Well I thought the IKEA model was a lot smaller than the one posted above... this one seems to go about 10 stories up

Well I thought the IKEA model was a lot smaller than the one posted above... this one seems to go about 10 stories up

Sorry for the 2x post, but I just checked it over and it is the same height. Hmm... still stumped!

With 5 days to go, this is the most likely time for the cauldron to become visible and for someone to post a picture of it on here.

The cauldron was reportedly being assembled off-site - at some point, it needs to be or has been transported to the Olympic Park. The lighting will need to be rehearsed and the cauldron itself will need to under go some testing before Friday night. It was during Beijing's and Vancouver's cauldron rehearsal / testing that we got our first pictures and videos of those lit cauldrons in their final position.

So unless organziers somehow managed to do all the rehearsals and testing off-site and sneaked / sneak in the cauldron and placed it underground in the middle of the stadium away from sight, I think there's still a decent chance it'll become visible in the next 5 days and someone will manage to snap a picture or take a video.

We'll see. I myself am grappling with whether I should stoping coming into the ceremonies forum and ensure the lighting and cauldron is a surprise, but that takes a lot of nerve.

Same here NY20 - really thinking now I should step out of this place now to avoid spoilers (and not buy any papers all week!), and actually rather fed up of the unnecessary bickering we've seen in this place over the weekend. The place is also getting a bit busier now so rather than a couple of pages to catch up on at night it's a dozen or so in some threads, so all in all I really shouldn't come back here tomorrow - but I know I won't be able to resist.

Been reading this thread for a while so thought I'd chip in...

Right, so this evening (Monday) I'm off to see the opening ceremony rehearsal.

Obviously I won't be saying what happens during the show but I'll keep a look out for anything that looks like a cauldron.

-A side note, why are you all so quick to rule out the Obrit? When it was announced - the organisers said they wanted it to become London's answer to the Eiffel tower. What better way for it to become iconic (and known globally) than have the flame from the top of it?

Been reading this thread for a while so thought I'd chip in...

Right, so this evening (Monday) I'm off to see the opening ceremony rehearsal.

Obviously I won't be saying what happens during the show but I'll keep a look out for anything that looks like a cauldron.

-A side note, why are you all so quick to rule out the Obrit? When it was announced - the organisers said they wanted it to become London's answer to the Eiffel tower. What better way for it to become iconic (and known globally) than have the flame from the top of it?

Because it was already confirmed some months ago by LOGOC that the Orbit will not host the cauldron.

Because it was already confirmed some months ago by LOGOC that the Orbit will not host the cauldron.

Well that's settled then.

I'll still keep an eye out...just not bother checking out the Orbit in detail :)

Just throwing my two cents in......

I do not believe it is the orbit, but if it was the orbit, why would the LOGOC admit it? They wouldnt expose the location before the OC! They could just be deterring people from the obvious.... just food for thought.

Ok, lets solve this right now. I propose at 8:00 pm tomorrow, we all meet at the heatherwick studios, and we will kidnap him and torture him until he spills all! It's just an idea.

But if you just wait four extra days, you'll get your answer in all its glory - and get more of a surprise and probably enjoy it more to boot!

Everyone, I agree, LOCOG has got us all, not because they are smarter, but because they are bigger Olympic dorks than us. 7 years ago they gave extremely valuable seats to schoolchildren, they have defined whatever norms before them, From logo to stadium design these will be unique games, London has raised the bar above Beijing, not by sheer number but by uniqueness, i will everyday read and view trying to predict what has been set. I have and have and great hopes for London 2012. Here we go all!!!! Keep guessing, keep predicting and for all of our sake, give us a clue London.......

i'm with you... ;)

Archived