London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

It MIGHT be hiding under any bushel anywhere. This whole thread is such TOTAL guesswork at this juncture that I don't see the point.

LOCOG HAS WON. They've kept the secret.

Is it in the blue structure? The purple structure? The white one? Under a bridge? In the canal? Scattered all over the city? There's no way to know anything.

Do you realize that even after it is lit you won't know where it's been concealed prior to the ceremonies?

If that's engrossing to you (I mean this sincerely) I hope you really have fun speculating, but I don't think it's reasonable to get irritated by a bit of topic drift considering the lack of information.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barron you contradict yourself. You said the Emcee said that LA Colosseum is the only arena to host TWO Olympic Opening Ceremonies. That is in fact true the other two you spoke about hosted events in the same place but not the Opening ceremony. So the emcee was right. Had he said the colosseum was the only one to host two events then i would agree with you but he was specific enough. And I understand his pride as apparently we are now in the age where we build brand new stadiums for the games yet we all know if LA were to bid or win another games the opening ceremony will take place once again in the Colosseum.

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't matter, you'll never know!" in the end.

Some of us are still looking out for this thing, some of us are still intereted in seeing if we can figure out where this damn cauldron is before the 27th. If you're not at all anymore, then maybe you should step out of this thread. You can always start a seperate thread for discussions that truly are tedious, nuance-filled, and ultimately un-conclusionalbe.

the blue strucgture is exactly at the same spot / size / as the black fenced area i was wondering about > is there something growing?? :)

Latest picture from today July 21st.

tumblr_m7iv47u7md1rx6a0vo1_500.jpg

What's that blue structure in front of the stadium towards the middle of the picture...?

at the north of the stadium >exactly at the spot we saw yesterday 'fenced' off on someone's flickr account - - -

This must be it.

Are people sure it's the fenced off area? That seemed in line with one of the light towers but this seems off line although it's hard to tell in that picture.

Also What's the purple thing to the left of it? And how will it not block the entry to sections 249-251?

Looks like its going to be surrounded by the blue thing until its unveiled so we won't have much info until Friday...

If you're not at all anymore, then maybe you should step out of this thread.

Although I was not the target of either of these comments, I think I'll take both to heart personally. What I mean to say is that it's less than a week away from the games and I still personally have no clue where I expect the cauldron to be. Lots of theories, but none more or less valid than the other (except for the Orbit; I strongly do not think that will be the cauldron). In that sense, LOCOG has won and I personally don't find much value in "knowing" mere days before the rest of world.

I might as well sit back and enjoy the show like everyone else and just check back after the ceremony too see if my ideas were right. For the record, here's what I'm calling:

Cauldron type: Moasic style, as might have been suggested by the ticket images.

Cauldron location: Ceremonial lighting in the stadium, games/permanent location just outside in the north concourse. I suggested in the area where the double pod is, but that's not that likely now, but I'll stick with that.

I'll be back in a week! Enjoy the show!

This must be it.

Are people sure it's the fenced off area? That seemed in line with one of the light towers but this seems off line although it's hard to tell in that picture.

Also What's the purple thing to the left of it? And how will it not block the entry to sections 249-251?

Looks like its going to be surrounded by the blue thing until its unveiled so we won't have much info until Friday...

the purple thing is a massive 'sign' / orientation / help / for visitors in the olympic park

>>>> it's growing / and it's growing fast >>>>

picture2xc.png

Waldi, that's an optical illusion. If you look closely on the picture to the right, you'll recognise that that blue structure is in front of the service pods (which you can vaguely see in the background, between the treetops) and not behind it. So it can't be the fenced-off area directly at the stadium.

This is confirmed by this picture (also taken today) which shows the northern side of the stadium and no tall blue structure near it at all:

148996784-general-view-of-the-olympic-stadium-at-the-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QahOKoFHAqoctaKhe%2bcxlkqF3ZnTjVa8%2bkqfl08%2bz7OwUmvwDWgbOIHtdXtmNb5M6w%3d%3d

Waldi, that's an optical illusion. If you look closely on the picture to the right, you'll recognise that that blue structure is in front of the service pods (which you can vaguely see in the background, between the treetops) and not behind it. So it can't be the fenced-off area directly at the stadium.

This is confirmed by this picture (also taken today) which shows the northern side of the stadium and no tall blue structure near it at all:

148996784-general-view-of-the-olympic-stadium-at-the-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QahOKoFHAqoctaKhe%2bcxlkqF3ZnTjVa8%2bkqfl08%2bz7OwUmvwDWgbOIHtdXtmNb5M6w%3d%3d

OK - you're right > time for me to go to bed i guess --- good night ^_^

Ive been following this forum for months, not posted much but I have to admit with this statement. Even if we find out tomorrow what the cauldron looks like and where it is, I have to admit LOCOG have done very well in keeping it a secret for this long!!!

Its now got to the point where, even though Ive been on here for months trying to get a glimpse of the cauldron and its location, I really hope the secret is kept unitl the night of the opening ceremony! OK this is unlikely but it would be so cool if they kept it a secret, even from us losers on these forums, unitl the last moment!!!

Hey all, as has been said the blue building is in front of the pods, it looks in the perfect place for where the bbc tv studio is.

As for the cauldron, i watched the super structures tv program and some of the girders were actually unused metalic gas mains. I work in the gas industry and we use plastic these days which is why they no longer needed for gas. however i doubt they would be used. my bets is for the garden area across the canal near the barge, as it seems to serve no other purpose. that or something that fits into the big square hole on top of the orbit observation deck.

6 full days and audience rehearsals, hints will appear...

Btw, when did the pictures from Beijing's roof-top disguise tent come out? A week before the OC?

About this thread, although it would be nice to find the cauldron's location before the OC, the real fun is to especulate on it so this is a worthy thread still.

Barron you contradict yourself. You said the Emcee said that LA Colosseum is the only arena to host TWO Olympic Opening Ceremonies. That is in fact true the other two you spoke about hosted events in the same place but not the Opening ceremony. So the emcee was right. Had he said the colosseum was the only one to host two events then i would agree with you but he was specific enough. And I understand his pride as apparently we are now in the age where we build brand new stadiums for the games yet we all know if LA were to bid or win another games the opening ceremony will take place once again in the Colosseum.

No, no. I believe the claim is the LA Coliseum claims to be the first stadium/arena to host TWO OOCs, not the ONLY. Actually, THREE (3) stadia had already hosted TWO full Opening Ceremonies: the aforesaid St. Moritz AND Stockholm held both their OCs at the same venue; AND Innsbruck for 1964 AND 1976. So LA's claim is false. St. Moritz doubled in 1948; Stockholm doubled in 1956; Innsbruck in 1976--so how could LA have achieved that feat in 1984 if THREE other cities/venues already did?

LA may have the dubious claim to being the first FULL, summer OCs but (1) they never specify that; and (2) even that is debatable because Stockholm's was a FULL OC in 1956 because the entire IOC brass was there; it was accorded all the trappings and protocol portions used in previous OCS, so for me; that qualifies as a legitimate Olympic Opening Ceremony. Check the Official Records.

No, no. I believe the claim is the LA Coliseum claims to be the first stadium/arena to host TWO OOCs, not the ONLY. St. Moritz AND Stockholm held both their OCs at the same venue. So LA's claim is false. St. Moritz doubled in 1948; Stockholm doubled in 1956--so how could LA have achieved that feat in 1984 if two other cities/venues already did? Is that not clear enough? (And Stockholm's was a FULL OC in 1956 because the entire IOC brass was there; it had all the trappings and protocol portions used in previous OCS, so for me; that qualifies as a legitimate Olympic Opening Ceremony. Check the Official Records.

Dp not forget Bergisel Stadium in Innsbruck. It is the only venue in the world ahich has staged 3 Olympic Opening Ceremonies:

Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976; and Winter YOG in 2012 ;)

Just think of them as commercial breaks, which often happen when we dont want them to - but they fill in the gaps when nothing is happening in the thread.

I actually totally agree with this.

I check the thread on the off-chance something is unearthed at the eleventh hour, but I don't really expect a big revelation.

Some commercials can actually be entertaining and interesting. That's why I keep checking the thread.

Hey all, as has been said the blue building is in front of the pods, it looks in the perfect place for where the bbc tv studio is.

As for the cauldron, i watched the super structures tv program and some of the girders were actually unused metalic gas mains. I work in the gas industry and we use plastic these days which is why they no longer needed for gas. however i doubt they would be used. my bets is for the garden area across the canal near the barge, as it seems to serve no other purpose. that or something that fits into the big square hole on top of the orbit observation deck.

A view with the blue boxes (on the left side) ... so definitively BBC !

620340229.jpg?key=640480&Expires=1342939374&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=C2YhvfQooBQs~iVSag3RN57KEV4E6Mwz2leFS117nP0h3eP2bn6ZiTLgFnL-BzPcFdKXJf7JirhLFlvnfNxWoNmYEsqubDI1NK2AfGgK6nvfmMSYRyzeENkoAn7tH2bxNgeCuv~ZvvXi-bHoZmoGvRS1-eiS8nOSZu7Iec22650_

Everyone, I agree, LOCOG has got us all, not because they are smarter, but because they are bigger Olympic dorks than us. 7 years ago they gave extremely valuable seats to schoolchildren, they have defined whatever norms before them, From logo to stadium design these will be unique games, London has raised the bar above Beijing, not by sheer number but by uniqueness, i will everyday read and view trying to predict what has been set. I have and have and great hopes for London 2012. Here we go all!!!! Keep guessing, keep predicting and for all of our sake, give us a clue London.......

Hi all. I've been reading this thread with interest for some time and love all the different views on the location of the cauldron. One point to LOCOG nil to everyone else as it seems we are no closer yet to breaking the cauldron mistery. At this late stage I hope it does stay hidden as it means the surprise on Friday will be all the better. But for what it's worth... In the absence of any other obvious clues it seems to me that the Orbit might play an important role. Who knows? I'd love it not to be as it's way too obvious.... Not long to go now!

It MIGHT be hiding under any bushel anywhere. This whole thread is such TOTAL guesswork at this juncture that I don't see the point.

Is it in the blue structure? The purple structure? The white one? Under a bridge? In the canal? Scattered all over the city? There's no way to know anything.

Do you realize that even after it is lit you won't know where it's been concealed prior to the ceremonies?

If that's engrossing to you (I mean this sincerely) I hope you really have fun speculating, but I don't think it's reasonable to get irritated by a bit of topic drift considering the lack of information.

Then please leave

More evidence that the lighting is going to be different to what has gone before. I'm reasonably sure I know at least part of the 'moment', and it is going to be both beautiful and clever. (I don't buy the five athletes idea, I think it's press speculation.)

London 2012 Olympics: five athletes may light flame at opening ceremony - One of the men deciding who will light the Olympic cauldron at Friday night’s opening ceremony has given a strong hint yet that it will not be Sir Steve Redgrave or Daley Thompson.

If you believe these things

More evidence that the lighting is going to be different to what has gone before. I'm reasonably sure I know at least part of the 'moment', and it is going to be both beautiful and clever. (I don't buy the five athletes idea, I think it's press speculation.)

London 2012 Olympics: five athletes may light flame at opening ceremony - One of the men deciding who will light the Olympic cauldron at Friday night’s opening ceremony has given a strong hint yet that it will not be Sir Steve Redgrave or Daley Thompson.

Yes, I've been speculating this for some time now, why choose one when you can have more? It creates new options...

Archived