London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

That's why you have back up flames following the torch around. All taken from the original cauldron in Athens. I mean, who's ro know any different, but the link back to the Athens lighting ceremony will still be there. ;)

Didn't a protester extinguish Beijing's torch during one of its international visits? In Paris iirc.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why you have back up flames following the torch around. All taken from the original cauldron in Athens. I mean, who's ro know any different, but the link back to the Athens lighting ceremony will still be there. ;)

Yes, I know. The "backup" is certainly getting a workout this time.

But I have to ask who in their right mind takes fire whitewater rafting and doesn't expect it to go out?!

Hi, Am back online...altho from the Library. Hard disk of my home computer fried...thanks to all this Cauldron talk!!

So Ihad to buy a new laptop and they are loading all my old files onto it. So, will probably be back online FROM HOME tomorrow. So, am just catching up on all the previous posts.

Hi, Am back online...altho from the Library. Hard disk of my home computer fried...thanks to all this Cauldron talk!!

So Ihad to buy a new laptop and they are loading all my old files onto it. So, will probably be back online FROM HOME tomorrow. So, am just catching up on all the previous posts.

Well hope all goes well! Be back online normally soon :)

What a time for that to happen. :o

Just looking at the film it seems that many of the cauldron lighting sequences don't actually get lit by the flame of the final torch bearer, instead being lit but some sort of ignition sequence. I suppose this is for contingencys sake.

London 2012 have done a brilliant job at hiding the cauldron from us! I will certainly have my eyes peeled for it when i get in that stadium on the 27th!

Here's a great video containing all the caldron lightinings from 1968 to 2010:

http://www.youtube.c...1&v=1i1r08irN7E

Barcelona, Sidney and Athens are definitely the highlights. Seoul-88's lightning was CREEPY! lol

I can see London following the steps of Calgary-88.

Well, gas is volatile, so all it needs to burn is the introduction of a spark or flicker of fire and it can leap into flame. That sometimes means that the torch doesn't have to touch the lip of the cauldron to make it work.

That said, I've always felt that Torino's cauldron lighting was a bit 'faked' as the flame set off a pyrotechnics show and did not necessarily link the Olympic flame in the torch directly to the Olympic cauldron.

Someone here mentioned that Montreal had only a temporary cauldron for the opening ceremony. Well, did you also know that Montreal had actually two cauldrons - a (so-to-speak) "indoor" cauldron in the stadium and an "outdoor" cauldron near the cross on top of Mont Royal?

See it starting at minute 11:35 in this video of the Montreal 1976 opening ceremony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZqPL9FOHI0&feature=player_embedded

See this PDF for confirmation: http://www.parcolympique.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/A_jeux_olympiques_1976.pdf It even looks as if the Mont Royal cauldron was lit by the same two final torchbearers who later lit the cauldron inside the stadium.

So even if London chooses to have two cauldrons (although I doubt it), one inside the stadium and one outside plus moves the "indoor" cauldron to another location in the stadium after the ceremony, it will have a precedent in Olympic history. ;)

^^ OMG! I know this is offtopic but I wanted to watch Montreal ceremonies for a long time, about time someone posted them. Thanks a lot Olympian :)

Anyway, I kinda knew about the Montreal cauldron as well, though most people don't mention it much. I also remember there were clones of the Albertville 92 cauldron at many sport venues.

And it's remarkable that the media so far don't try to uncover the location and the look of the cauldron. While we got new pictures from within the stadium and even one of the outside, taken from a nearby apartment (SPOILER ALERT: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2175205/London-2012-Opening-Ceremony-View-inside-Olympic-Stadium-provides-glimpse-spectacle-look.html), they don't show us what is happening on the concourse north of the stadium.

Isn't there anyone with a strong telescope lens who can take pictures from a building north or northwest of the stadium? ;)

But I have to ask who in their right mind takes fire whitewater rafting and doesn't expect it to go out?!

What I love about that video is what I imagine the dialog to be.

"The flame went out when I was in the boat and water splashed on it."

"No sweat. Let's get you a fresh torch and light it using a back up flame. Won't take but a minute!"

[Lights the new torch.]

"Wow! Great! Thank you!"

[Get back in boat.]

[Repeat.]

And it's remarkable that the media so far don't try to uncover the location and the look of the cauldron. While we got new pictures from within the stadium and even one of the outside, taken from a nearby apartment (SPOILER ALERT: http://www.dailymail...tacle-look.html), they don't show us what is happening on the concourse north of the stadium.

Well, that picture taken from the nearby apartment block does tell us that whatever is going on outside the stadium to the north is still relatively low to the ground.

And of course that air space restriction came into place as soon as they started doing cauldron related preparations. London has been very good at keeping this a secret; not even Beijing put an air space restriction over the Bird's Nest.

They've managed to do a great work at hiding the cauldron, even more than Beijing IMO. Although i'm sure we will probably have leaks of it very soon now that the date of the opening ceremony is getting close. They won't be able to hide it forever.

Wasn't all that exciting. Kinda boring.

I never said if it was exciting or not. I just wanted to watch it anyway because of it's historical value (plus the music was pretty neat)

I tell you what, going through this thread, seeing that one dude mention the Orbit tower in every single one of his posts made me want to gouge my eyes out.

Thank you!

^^ Whateveeeeeer Baron...

I found this pic of Heatherwick's office from this link http://blogs.kcrw.com/dna/. I think it was taken recently. Do you see any hints about the cauldron?

Heatherwick-office1.jpg

Cool pic. But didn't they say Heatherwick didnt even keep the plans at his office? If theyre hiding the plans it seems odd that they would leave a giant model in plain view. It's a nice shape, but I doubt it's the cauldron,

And it's remarkable that the media so far don't try to uncover the location and the look of the cauldron. While we got new pictures from within the stadium and even one of the outside, taken from a nearby apartment (SPOILER ALERT: http://www.dailymail...tacle-look.html), they don't show us what is happening on the concourse north of the stadium.

Isn't there anyone with a strong telescope lens who can take pictures from a building north or northwest of the stadium? ;)

Hi buddies,

this is my first post.

I am really surprised that no one even in this forum managed to dig out the couldron.

I'm beginning to get worried, I will be one of the many people who will be in Victoria Park to watch the event on screens, but I was hoping to capture the moment of lighting to be somewhere out of park, where can see the stadium, even away.

I will come from italy to do this on purpose.

however: the picture from the condominium has enlightened me. despite having seen a thousand times the orbit, only now I realize that the loops of steel end up exactly where the observatory.

you talked about so many times, I know, but this detail confirms my visions.

The flames could just run along the loops and end its run in the eventual fall in cauldron on the top of observatory.

to do that, they needed a massive structure, which can not be invisible, then came up with the orbit.

in Italy we say "simple things are the best things"

still information, new tickets are coming out of the ceremony, with a warning: Tickets in price category B and C Purchased from 17 July 2012 onwards will have a restricted view of parts of the ceremony.

This could mean that you will can't to see everything from anywhere, not even the cauldron.

sorry for my english.

Hi buddies,

this is my first post.

I am really surprised that no one even in this forum managed to dig out the couldron.

I'm beginning to get worried, I will be one of the many people who will be in Victoria Park to watch the event on screens, but I was hoping to capture the moment of lighting to be somewhere out of park, where can see the stadium, even away.

I will come from italy to do this on purpose.

however: the picture from the condominium has enlightened me. despite having seen a thousand times the orbit, only now I realize that the loops of steel end up exactly where the observatory.

you talked about so many times, I know, but this detail confirms my visions.

The flames could just run along the loops and end its run in the eventual fall in cauldron on the top of observatory.

to do that, they needed a massive structure, which can not be invisible, then came up with the orbit.

in Italy we say "simple things are the best things"

still information, new tickets are coming out of the ceremony, with a warning: Tickets in price category B and C Purchased from 17 July 2012 onwards will have a restricted view of parts of the ceremony.

This could mean that you will can't to see everything from anywhere, not even the cauldron.

sorry for my english.

and it can be an important thing: the vision of stadium with orbit from away is extraordinary, they seems to be one. seens from away the fire would seem souspended on the stadium.

Archived