London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Hello all! Newbie here! I assume you've all seen this, yes? I only mention it because there was talk about the government's involvement earlier and Hetherwick mentions the goverment's involvement in the video in relation to the cauldron lighting. He also speaks about the cauldron in terms of saying it's not just a 'thing', it's a moment. Anyway, thought I'd post for those who haven't seen it :)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their installing the cauldron model at the Heatherwick exhibition on the 27th? At 9 in the morning or at night?

Either way, sounds like the design will be out there before the lighting by a few hours or by an entire day.

Could we stop those endless arguments about the LA cauldron? Thanks.

Exactly - it's all taste, and very, very personal. AustralianFan's view on the '84 cauldron is as valid as Athensfan's on the 2012 "Look". There's no argument that anyone can "win".

Personally, I like the LA cauldron - yes, it fits in the with Art Deco stadium. And I'm also a fan, generally, of the London Look, though I agree it's application so far has been a bit hit or miss.

This might answer your question....136666930.jpg

( this was dated Jan. 10th of this year)

Interesting... The triangular shape fits this year's games and what a nice tribute would it be if this cauldron burns again somewhere during the games. Is it anywhere inside Wembley Stadium?

Could we stop those endless arguments about the LA cauldron? Thanks.

That post was a picture. No argument. I see no reason why it should impede firing more shots in the dark as to the location of London's cauldron. Have at it.

In case it's escaped some people's observation, the lack of new information has resulted in an increasingly unfocused thread. That can hardly be surprising.

So True Athensfan. I have stopped speculating about the location the design the lighting mechanism. I have resigned myself to the fact that London has just pulled off a coup of sorts. Ten days to go and we have absolutely no clue. To average viewers that's great but to people like us who are the diehards this is the equivalent of water-boarding. I check Gbids now like 20 times a day to see if someone finally got the scoop. It's making us start to foam at the mouth. lol Which is good. LOCOG gave away everything about the ceremony except the most import part and for me it makes the anticipation more exciting that the build up to Beijing.

Inteteresting "old" and "new" look with this photo of the Barcelona Cauldron at the refurbished Barcelona Stadium which dates back to 1929. I understand they had their stadium ready for a possible Olympic Games way back then but never won the bid. Beaten by Los Angeles in 1932

Slight correction - it was Berlin that beat them to the games of 1936, rather than LA for 32 (though they may have bid for that one as well). As a consolation prize, they got to organise some sort of "Workers Games" in 1936.

I think if the London 1948 Cauldron was to be incorporated into the Opening Ceremony, could organisers do something a little bit like Innsbruck? Perhaps we might see the original 1948 cauldron in a similar position to where it was at Wembley (perhaps below the Tor?) and see it lit at the very start of the ceremony. It could burn during the ceremony, only to have the final torch bearer take the flame from it, and light the actual 2012 cauldron. After this point, the 1948 Cauldron would be extinguished.

I like this idea, but then it leaves the 1908 Games out, you cannot acknowledge one and not the other.

... but I think London has only ever "won" one Olympic Games - that's 2012, which is why it was so significant. The rest were either lumped on London's lap or given by default.

I'm not sure that the 1948 cauldron was already built for 1944? The 1944 Games were cancelled years before?

Because Barcelona's architecture was not designed around a cauldron in the 30s it allowed for the possibility of an off-center contemporary cauldron. This would not be possible in symmetrical stadiums designed specifically with a cauldron in mind such as Athens or LA.

One thing that is interesting about London is the fact that the stadium is so open and symmetrical on not only one axis, but two, that the cauldron really could go anywhere. Adding the triangular floodlight towers complicates matters, but in terms of the raw geometry, the options are wide open.

That sounds very workable, and perhaps they will pay due respect to the memory of the 1908 Games in another appropriate way. Perhaps though, any Cauldron lightings might still be towards the end or at the end of the Opening Ceremony, in accordance with tradition (?)

Ok cool, thanks for that.

Yes was wondering that too, ie when were the 1944 Games cancelled? Most likely before the Cauldron was even thought of given the country's attention taken up with the War.

Well London had more important things to deal with from 1939 onwards so I suspect little thought was put into the games at all - not sure when exactly they were officially cancelled but there was a war going on, they wouldn't stop building aircraft to build a cauldron.

Having watched the video earlier of all the lightings and cauldrons since 1968, it does seem to me that the earlier ones were all obsessed with cocktail glass shapes of caudrons! My favourite lightings have been Barcelona, Sydney and Turin, my favourite cauldrons were Sydney and Beijing! :)

Interesting thoughts in the former cauldron. I wonder... Does anyone know if the cauldron from Wembley could be moved to the Olympic Stadium? If so, a symbolic cauldron for the 08 Games and the Wembley Cauldron from the 48 Games would add something to the show for the final lighting of the cauldron.

Archived