London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

No. As I said before when you took me to task for this, it's going to be in that area. The pool of light always falls below and behind the object that is being lit. The cauldron will somehow be higher -- not ON the roof. I can't imagine any other reason for the type of lighting shown in that photo.

I see. By "it's" I thought you meant the cauldron itself.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, I am beginning to believe that the one particular triangular light frame above the tor: ledge has something to do with the cauldron lighting. It might be used as transport/ beaming mechanism for the flame; or it might be disguised as a regular light frame and then transform or break apart to form a cauldron. Either way, these light frames are such significant element of the stadium design that's why I am convinced one of them will be utilised in the cauldron ceremony one way or another.

Hmmm... This might destroy also the "the cauldron lighting will take place or at least start in that spotlight area on the roof" theory... The London organisers still leave a whole forum clueless. ;)

This is, by the way, the source for the first picture. It was taken on Friday, shortly before the no-fly zone was implemented: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20120715dy01.htm

Where's the second picture from, Rodrigo?

Olympian2004, I found that second photo in another olympic forum.

I don't think that first photo was taken on Friday, I think it was the day that the article was written only. This other photo was taken in July 9th and the stage is more complete than in the other one.

Screen-shot-2012-07-09-at-11.45.01.png

I don't think that first photo was taken on Friday, I think it was the day that the article was written only. This other photo was taken in July 9th and the stage is more complete than in the other one.

No, if you look closely on your first photo, you'll see that there's a black fringe around the stage which can't be seen in that July 9th picture. It's because that black fringe is new.

I suppose that they have to take off the green meadows once in a while to rehearse also the later segments of the show. So whether the meadows are in place or not is no good indicator how old a picture is.

And let me ask you again about your second photo: From which Olympic forum exactly do you have it? Sorry for being so picky, but we have to keep copyright laws.

No, if you look closely on your first photo, you'll see that there's a black fringe around the stage which can't be seen in that July 9th picture. It's because that black fringe is new.

I suppose that they have to take off the green meadows once in a while to rehearse also the later segments of the show. So whether the meadows are in place or not is no good indicator how old a picture is.

And let me ask you again about your second photo: From which Olympic forum exactly do you have it? Sorry for being so picky, but we have to keep copyright laws.

You are right about the photo date.

The photo I found in this site http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=93271038

Screen-shot-2012-07-09-at-11.45.01.png

Does not have to do with the cauldron, but what are those three rings between the spotlights on the roof?

Gotta give the organizing team credit, we're getting close to zero hour and none of us really have a solid clue.

If you look closer, you'll see there are five rings. That's pretty obvious what that is.

My questions are...

What are those blue boxes?

What is that blue-green angular thing on the roof just to the right of the Tor, above the grey strip of seating? And that green mesh on the other side?

We really should have a "Spot the Cauldron" competition with a decent overhead shot of the stadium and surrounding areas. We each put our mark on it and closest gets bragging rights.

Great idea. I think what we need is a comprehensive site plan of the stadium and immediate environs with a grid overlaid. That way we can easily "call out" what spots we think and easily judge who was closest.

Does not have to do with the cauldron, but what are those three rings between the spotlights on the roof?

Gotta give the organizing team credit, we're getting close to zero hour and none of us really have a solid clue.

Looking at the photo..... why would you need stairs going down to beneath the bridge (near the colorful sidewalk)? Could this be a possible hint about the location?

Looking at the photo..... why would you need stairs going down to beneath the bridge (near the colorful sidewalk)? Could this be a possible hint about the location?

I think it's just to access the sidewalk along the waterway, to enjoy a stroll along the riverbank as opposed to higher up at street level.

hey kids! i'm kind of new here, i've been reading you since 2004, i was a member then but i forgot my password and name ha!, i was a torchbearer back then, im from mexico by the way...

back to the topic... i was thinking about the posibility of the rings becoming the cauldron in their final position, maybe something "a la Athens" but high in the sky haha.. well on the center of the stadium??.. i would love that!... and the other day my dad told me that he saw a report from london about a mexican girl being part of the opening ceremony and he said something about the fire running on the walls of the stadium or something like that, i don't know what he saw but he was very convinced hahaha... do you know something about this??.. (sorry for my english).. i'm sooo excited about this olympics!!!! can't wait!!.. thanks for the pics, the info and everything!!!

hey kids! i'm kind of new here, i've been reading you since 2004, i was a member then but i forgot my password and name ha!, i was a torchbearer back then, im from mexico by the way...

back to the topic... i was thinking about the posibility of the rings becoming the cauldron in their final position, maybe something "a la Athens" but high in the sky haha.. well on the center of the stadium??.. i would love that!... and the other day my dad told me that he saw a report from london about a mexican girl being part of the opening ceremony and he said something about the fire running on the walls of the stadium or something like that, i don't know what he saw but he was very convinced hahaha... do you know something about this??.. (sorry for my english).. i'm sooo excited about this olympics!!!! can't wait!!.. thanks for the pics, the info and everything!!!

Bienvenido, Galileo!!

#1 - Your English is fine!! Most of us are used to an int'l forum so we give allowances to non-English speakers. Don't worry about it!

#2 - With 2 areas now lighted on the roof, I think the cauldron may appear between those 2 triangular pylons. It's fairly close enough to the northern location of the gas lines & far away enuf from the Orbit so that damn useless tower doesn't detract from it. I can't imagine how that stupid tower upset all of the original Ceremonial plans. Or why didn't they just cooperate to have ONE suitable tower??

35mirfd.jpg

Well, that platform above the Tree & Tor does look BIG enough to support a medium-sized cauldron. Is that where it might be?

So will the lighter climb up to the tree branches. it rises; there's a little wick connected to the cauldron, and Daley/Redgrave lights the short wick?

(But I still don't see the significance of a tree being uprooted from this fake Glastonbury Tor and rising a few feet into the air? Why?)

C'mon Ceremonies performers & volunteers --- look harder!! U ain't looking hard enough!! :lol:

35mirfd.jpg

Well, that platform above the Tree & Tor does look BIG enough to support a medium-sized cauldron. Is that where it might be?

So will the lighter climb up to the tree branches. it rises; there's a little wick connected to the cauldron, and Daley/Redgrave lights the short wick?

(But I still don't see the significance of a tree being uprooted from this fake Glastonbury Tor and rising a few feet into the air? Why?)

C'mon Ceremonies performers & volunteers --- look harder!! U ain't looking hard enough!! :lol:

I totally agree that the cauldron will be somewhere around that area, but why can we not see any gas lines going up to that spot? Beijing's stadium could conceal the gas line within its structure, but here there is not to hide it.......

God no, please not another wick/ pulley method eg Atlanta & Beijing. They are the laziest and most unimaginable method ever.

I still believe the Tor will play a role in the lighting ceremony though it doesn't look that easy to climb up! Was thinking he ignites something that releases real 'fire'flies our from the tree and they fly into the cauldron somewhere on the roof

I totally agree that the cauldron will be somewhere around that area, but why can we not see any gas lines going up to that spot? Beijing's stadium could conceal the gas line within its structure, but here there is not to hide it.......

The gas lines would of course be concealed, running somewhere in the back. They would NOT be visible. So what, some vandal can cut it when he sees it? They are well concealed.

God no, please not another wick/ pulley method eg Atlanta & Beijing. They are the laziest and most unimaginable method ever.

I still believe the Tor will play a role in the lighting ceremony though it doesn't look that easy to climb up! Was thinking he ignites something that releases real 'fire'flies our from the tree and they fly into the cauldron somewhere on the roof

Well how else do you expect the final lighter to light the damn thing from below?? Fireflies? Good idea but have you ever trained fireflies??

What if the tree burst into flames and then reveals itself as the torch on its way up? lol

I do believe we'll have more hints in the upcoming days, maybe someone should look underneath that fake tor...

nonsense that is no good not goiong to happen....

Archived