London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mentioned earlier on this thread, the Tree or under is highly unlikely to he the Cauldron as it is smack bang in the middle of the allocated seating area for the athletics competion starting about a week later :) .

A swirling flame on a windy day from a Cauldron located under the tree would be close to the surrounding spectators and stadium structure itself, not too mention the many overhead flying wires criss crossing the stadium arena that any Cauldron rising up would not be able to push through.

A person being lifted up to the roof to start the Cauldron ignition sequence would be able to fit through the gaps in the wires and up onto the roof, while still in full view of most in the stadium. See the heavily spotlighted roof area.

0707013-thumb450x-1.jpg

This sounds logical,... either way I have the feeling that this area will definitely somehow be involved with the lighting of the cauldron... even partial :)

There is a light on the orbit?

usually red lights on high buildings have to do with aeronautical security...

We really should have a "Spot the Cauldron" competition with a decent overhead shot of the stadium and surrounding areas. We each put our mark on it and closest gets bragging rights.

In a short interview Clare Amsel, producer of the Paralympic Opening Ceremony was asked:

Do you have a favorite lighting of the olympic cauldron moment?

- "It hasn't happend yet! I already know the London Cauldron will be the most beautiful ever so this will be my favorite."

That's a great answer.

I still wouldn't throw away the possibility of having a "ceremony-only" cauldron and then having an identical one outside the stadium somewhere.

I really don't think that will happen in the same sense as it happened in Vancouver. They only got away with that because of the indoor arena, and frankly it wasn't a very popular move. However, I've always thought the London lighting could see a cauldron rise in the middle of the stadium, with that lit and the flame then disappearing down it's stem and into the ground and then up the stem of the actual larger cauldron outside the stadium.

So frustrating though - I so kind of want to know but kind of don't - though luckily my memory isn't the best so most things I read I'll forget by the night anyway.

We really should have a "Spot the Cauldron" competition with a decent overhead shot of the stadium and surrounding areas. We each put our mark on it and closest gets bragging rights.

That's a great idea. I'll open a new thread for this.

As mentioned earlier on this thread, the Tree or under is highly unlikely to he the Cauldron as it is smack bang in the middle of the allocated seating area for the athletics competion starting about a week later :) .

A swirling flame on a windy day from a Cauldron located under the tree would be close to the surrounding spectators and stadium structure itself, not too mention the many overhead flying wires criss crossing the stadium arena that any Cauldron rising up would not be able to push through.

A person being lifted up to the roof to start the Cauldron ignition sequence would be able to fit through the gaps in the wires and up onto the roof, while still in full view of most in the stadium. See the heavily spotlighted roof area.

0707013-thumb450x-1.jpg

I think that highlighted area is a platform that will raise up. Why do I think this? Well, I was looking at recent photos of the stadium interior and found that the wires stretching above and over the roof join together to make a perfectly circular shape at the centre of the stadium bang in line with this highlighted area, this tells me that a platform will rise from the centre and pass through this circle, therefore not interrupting the cables above!

If the cauldron were to be at a distant location, say over Tower Bridge or even remotely, atop the Shard building, can they do a beacon-relay in the Final Lighting--as was done I believe when Hadrian's wall was active? Start the first beacon at Oly Stadium--and then shown to the stadium & TV viewing audience via jumbotron screens....say, six different locations (maybe those places where there is a huge crowd watching via giant screens?) around the city (using those smaller, overnight cauldrons of the Torch Relay) do the "relay" until it reached the Tower Bridge or Shard location??? So, you would have at least 4, 5 or 6 different final lighters at various locations?

I think that highlighted area is a platform that will raise up. Why do I think this? Well, I was looking at recent photos of the stadium interior and found that the wires stretching above and over the roof join together to make a perfectly circular shape at the centre of the stadium bang in line with this highlighted area, this tells me that a platform will rise from the centre and pass through this circle, therefore not interrupting the cables above!

Huh? Do you realize why they built a stage that's about 9-feet high? Because the water table at this site is kinda high...and that's why there are NO tunnels in this stadium. So the digging probably cannot go more than 10-feet deep. Therefore anything rising out of that center, realistically, cannot be more than 18 feet high. And they will have to tear it down/remove it immediately after midnight to prepare the field for the Athletics competition. So, your imaginary scenario is quite implausible. A smaller, if temporary, cauldron might appear...but nothing too tall or permanent.

If the cauldron were to be at a distant location, say over Tower Bridge or even remotely, atop the Shard building, can they do a beacon-relay in the Final Lighting--as was done I believe when Hadrian's wall was active? Start the first beacon at Oly Stadium--and then shown to the stadium & TV viewing audience via jumbotron screens....say, six different locations around the city (using those smaller, overnight cauldrons of the Torch Relay) do the relay until it reached the Tower Bridge of Shard location??? So, you would have at least 4 different final lighters?

Huh? Do you realize why they built a stage that's about 9-feet high? Because the water table at this site is kinda high...and that's why there are NO tunnels in this stadium. So the digging probably cannot go more than 10-feet deep. Therefore anything rising out of that center, realistically, cannot be more than 18 feet high. And they will have to tear it down/remove it immediately after midnight to prepare the field for the Athletics competition. So, your imaginary scenario is quite implausible. A smaller, if temporary, cauldron might appear...but nothing too tall or permanent.

Thank you for that... Just an idea haha

If the cauldron were to be at a distant location, say over Tower Bridge or even remotely, atop the Shard building, can they do a beacon-relay in the Final Lighting--as was done I believe when Hadrian's wall was active? Start the first beacon at Oly Stadium--and then shown to the stadium & TV viewing audience via jumbotron screens....say, six different locations around the city (using those smaller, overnight cauldrons of the Torch Relay) do the relay until it reached the Tower Bridge or Shard location??? So, you would have at least 4 different final lighters?

You do realise a pillar of the size you suggested doesn't have to be just one whole piece, it could rise from inside each other like a Russian doll...

Thank you for that... Just an idea haha

You do realise a pillar of the size you suggested doesn't have to be just one whole piece, it could rise from inside each other like a Russian doll...

Plus I the pillar I suggested is a platform for the final torchbearer to light the cauldron (wherever that may be) or to begin a leap of faith to it?!

If the cauldron were to be at a distant location, say over Tower Bridge or even remotely, atop the Shard building, can they do a beacon-relay in the Final Lighting--as was done I believe when Hadrian's wall was active?

Except that they did a nationwide beacon-lighting for the Jubilee so would they really do it again 3 months later?

They did actually mention the cauldron lighting at today's rehearsal - so I know where I'm standing during it and since I'm facing away from the crowd at that point, I should be able to see it. :D

They did actually mention the cauldron lighting at today's rehearsal - so I know where I'm standing during it and since I'm facing away from the crowd at that point, I should be able to see it. :D

Means you know where in the stadium the cauldron will be lit? :)

Except that they did a nationwide beacon-lighting for the Jubilee so would they really do it again 3 months later?

Right. I forgot about that.

Yes, it is; but it seems extremely complicated to prepare for such a short time it will appear on the site. And you remember how hydraulically-powered or extremely complicated cauldrons have worked in the past...cough...cough....Sydney & Vancouver??

I think that telescoping idea might work better outside...away from all the tight confines and OTHER stage machinery already in use there in the infield. But it seems our FDLondon already knows where it will appear?!?

Certaibly is possible. The Sydney Cauldron and the column which lifted it was attached to a very tall vertical structure attached to the outside edge of that end grandstand.

London's roof would certainly support the weight of a person lifted up and walking on a roof pathway to light such a located Cauldron. This roof area above the tree in a recent OC thread picture showed a particularly brightly lit area on the roof which could be just an area for performers to sing etc and/or it could be an 'ignition' or 'launch area' for the final torchbearer/s (?)

0707013-thumb450x-1.jpg

The lighted area on the roof (towards left in the picture) will be the final resting area of the cauldron.

I suspect that hill will provide the lighting area, and then finally will moce to the roof

Perhaps not hydraulic system, but more a pulley rig system eg. Chinese folding lantern

Well, the big globe in Beijing folded like...to use a pun..."Chinese folding lantern," but it still was hydraulically operated; and remember, Beijing dug 45 feet deep in their field to accommodate the underground stage & the globe folded to about 15 feet high when it was compacted. I believe that the London stage does NOT have such luxuries of space.

The lighted area on the roof (towards left in the picture) will be the final resting area of the cauldron.

I suspect that hill will provide the lighting area, and then finally will moce to the roof

That makes sense except one of those lighting triangle grids is DIRECTLY over the Tor. So, going by that scenario:

#1 - the Tree will have to get out of the way. Where will it go?

#2 - How do you move a cauldron from the hill to that spot in the roof? I mean it can only be big enough to fit in the lower free space of the Lighting triangle. Any rails cannot be there at the start of the show because it will BLOCK the seats behind it.

35mirfd.jpg

Ok, there it is. So, the trunk could hide a cylindrical-shaped cauldron. But again:

#3 - where are the gas lines connected to it? It must have a fuel supply line.

#4 - There is that platform with a spotlight right overhead. How will the "cauldron-inside-the-tree-trunk" climb over that ledge to the roof setting? Look at all the RIGGING already in place.

Anyone know?

I think something strange and tell-tale will definitely appear by next week.

Means you know where in the stadium the cauldron will be lit? :)

But it seems our FDLondon already knows where it will appear?!?

I wouldn't go that far. All I meant was that I now know for certain that I'm still within the stadium at the point at which the cauldron is lit - and I'm not facing the audience so I've got more chance of being able to see the cauldron. Where it is and how they actually light it are still mysteries to most, if not all, the volunteer performers.

So a cauldron on the roof with a giant floodlight pylon directly in front of it?

No. As I said before when you took me to task for this, it's going to be in that area. The pool of light always falls below and behind the object that is being lit. The cauldron will somehow be higher -- not ON the roof. I can't imagine any other reason for the type of lighting shown in that photo.

Archived