London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of curiosity, I took a look back at the Beijing 2008 forum and it looks like the first posting identifying the cauldron was on August 3, 2008...some 5 days before the Opening Ceremony. There are still 21 days before the Opening of the London Games so there's plenty of time for LOCOG to do almost anything. And 21 more days of us playing this insane guessing game. Wonder who will come closest to the truth? :)

Oh, and do you think the community cauldrons could give away a hint of what the big sucker will look like? Sorry, I can't find a decent pic. Beijing's was very much in family, although not all of them are.

Out of curiosity, I took a look back at the Beijing 2008 forum and it looks like the first posting identifying the cauldron was on August 3, 2008...some 5 days before the Opening Ceremony. There are still 21 days before the Opening of the London Games so there's plenty of time for LOCOG to do almost anything. And 21 more days of us playing this insane guessing game. Wonder who will come closest to the truth? :)

I believe we knew that it's a scroll-shaped structure already before August 3. But anyway, we knew that they built a cauldron there on the roof already since late May 2008. It was obvious due to the "rubber hangar". So the construction started already more than two months before the opening ceremony. That's why London's time is running very short now -- and it's highly improbable they will build something very tall and complex. It's also improbable that they are hiding an at least 70 metres tall structure somewhere in the ground.

Let's be clear. Time isn't "running short" for London. It's not as if they've been procrastinating and are left with their backup plan.

They are implementing a plan developed years ago according to a carefully mapped timetable. They have exactly the time they need to realize their vision.

Instead of lamenting all the things that are "sadly no longer possible" (as if that ship has sailed!) let's just wait and see what emerges.

Speaking from a British point-of-view, I am hoping and to some extent expecting something exciting, unexpected and innovative. These are values which we would like to present to the world .. we have so much heritage and history to draw from when composing a ceremony, yet we really need to show we're still relevant and embrace those sentiments I mentioned. Hence, I am hoping the end of this story is a "nice one UK" and not a disappointed yawn. I'm no patriot particularly, but I rather feel we'll do a pretty good job! At worst, it can't be as bad as the London bus with "modern" dance in the handover segment in Beijing!

Let's be clear. Time isn't "running short" for London. It's not as if they've been procrastinating and are left with their backup plan.

That wasn't what I said. I just said that there's hardly any time left to build a big tower outside the Olympic Stadium. Nothing more and nothing less.

Instead of lamenting all the things that are "sadly no longer possible" (as if that ship has sailed!) let's just wait and see what emerges.

We only discuss what is probable and what is not. And again, it seems highly improbable that suddenly there will pop up a tall tower outside the stadium. We don't see any possible foundation for such a structure, we don't see any construction activities. Maybe London will do something which will be beyond our imagination, but based on how long the construction of previous (and even smaller) Olympic cauldrons took, it seems very unlikely that they will build something huge.

You mean the torch will be the cauldron? ;)

More like something that can be carried by a few torch bearers or volunteer performers and just plugged into the site outside the stadium. Almost like a traditional village helping each other to assemble a hut

Or not unless LOCOG has set a 24/7 work sked to "get it up" (so to speak :lol: ) and will have crews working into the night to finish it. So realistically, it could still appear totally out of the blue in the days leading up to the 27th.

More like something that can be carried by a few torch bearers or volunteer performers and just plugged into the site outside the stadium. Almost like a traditional village helping each other to assemble a hut

Nope. I believe it will be a separate sculpture piece because Heatherwick stressed that in his V&A interview where a scale model would supposedly appear on the morning of the 27th! So it seems it's something prefab and can just be mounted onto its stem and then ready to go (hopefully, after a test or so).

I had a look through the construction drawing of the Orbit which is publicly available here in the Architect's Journal. There is no mention of any gas services and the top of the observation deck are full of lift dampers, chiller and AHU rooms. So I think we can safely discount the possibility of a cauldron placed on top of the Orbit once and for all.

http://www.ajbuildingslibrary.co.uk/projects/display/id/5305

I suppose my real fear is they'll attempt something too clever and it goes wrong (Barcelona). Or be very boring. The fact I'm actually excited about this when I am much too old to really adds. I'm going to have to stop reading this forum in case it spoils it now!

I suppose my real fear is they'll attempt something too clever and it goes wrong (Barcelona). Or be very boring. The fact I'm actually excited about this when I am much too old to really adds. I'm going to have to stop reading this forum in case it spoils it now!

Barcelona? U're too excited already!! Nothing went wrong with Barcelona's lighting. It went off as planned.

I think u mean Vancouver.

It's way too early to speculate about the lighting method anyway -- as long as we don't know where that friggin' cauldron will be and how it will look like! ;) I guess that the lighting method speculation will take only a few days or even hours this time. ;)

Sydney's cauldron wasn't outside the stadium, it sat on top of one of the two temporary stands. And although the general public only got to see the complete cauldron on opening night, the stem of the cauldron was visible to reporters visiting the stadium already months before.

So Sydney is no real comparison for London. In fact, probably no recent Olympic Games compare so far to London in terms of the absolute secrecy regarding the cauldron.

Gamesbids was known as TorontoSummerGames back in those days and mostly focused on Toronto's bid for the 2008 Olympics. Although only 12 years ago, the world of digital and social media was at its infancy, so there wasn't as much access to info like there is today.

Besides, Sydney's cauldron was a completely different beast. A two parter, with the disc hidden in the stage. I do recall reading after those games that Cathy Freeman had to practice the lighting sequence at around 4:00 am to keep any prying eyes off her.

So I don't think anyone in the general population knew what was going to happen until it actually happened.

I had a look through the construction drawing of the Orbit which is publicly available here in the Architect's Journal. There is no mention of any gas services and the top of the observation deck are full of lift dampers, chiller and AHU rooms. So I think we can safely discount the possibility of a cauldron placed on top of the Orbit once and for all.

http://www.ajbuildin...display/id/5305

We could've safely discounted that possibility months ago. I agree with you 100%, but it's not going to stop somebody from suggesting it again as "the only option" because it's tall.....

I guess we will all laugh. Sort of. ;)

Anyway, here's a somewhat new theory from Paf 82 on SkyscraperCity, even if there were already some suspicions raised about that barge north of the stadium (with the generators on it, as it turned out):

This might be far fetched but what are the chances of the cauldron being on a barge that could be floated into place on the river near the area mentioned in the planning permission? If the gas lines were under the much discussed white plate by the river they could just moor up and plug it in. The barge could have a telescopic tower on board.

I like this theory because it still keeps the hope alive that they'll have a cauldron outside the stadium. ;)

I guess we will all laugh. Sort of. ;)

Anyway, here's a somewhat new theory from Paf 82 on SkyscraperCity, even if there were already some suspicions raised about that barge north of the stadium (with the generators on it, as it turned out):

I like this theory because it still keeps the hope alive that they'll have a cauldron outside the stadium. ;)

Kinda sounds nice; but look at all the bridges & overhanging areas. It doesn't really leave much room to bring in anything tall. They'll have to try real hard to get it up during the actual OC.

Archived