London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

I know this will sound ridiculous but i dreamt of the cauldron lighting last night :P

Basically, the torchbearer was flying towards a slanted jumbotron screen....... and somehow the jumbotron was showing an image of the cauldron. And when the torchbearer is approaching the jumbotron, the cauldron image on the screen slowly comes to life to become a 3D/ hologramish object hovering above the jumbotron. Then the torch bearer lit that cauldron which becomes real in the end..... must say it's a great dream and I'm super excited to the verge of crying haha! :)

Proof that i am reaching obsessive stage of this whole olympic thing!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent a big part of today reading this forum, and it's quite comforting to see that no-one knows (which is how it should be).

Being in the "privileged" position of coming in at this late point, it would seem (to me) clear that the London2012 cauldron lighting will be either a) Embarrassingly poor or B) Amazing.

OK, not insightful thinking maybe, but I don't (and hope not) some middle-ground "seen-it-before" stuff. I really now think us UK'ers have a chance to actually look quite good, draw on our heritage, and be "spectacular" without having to spend TOO much.

This idea has been rubbished many times here, but I am still convinced the flame will be lit in the stadium and skylined to the "missing bit" of the MittalOrbit,

I know this will sound ridiculous but i dreamt of the cauldron lighting last night :P

Basically, the torchbearer was flying towards a slanted jumbotron screen....... and somehow the jumbotron was showing an image of the cauldron. And when the torchbearer is approaching the jumbotron, the cauldron image on the screen slowly comes to life to become a 3D/ hologramish object hovering above the jumbotron. Then the torch bearer lit that cauldron which becomes real in the end..... must say it's a great dream and I'm super excited to the verge of crying haha! :)

Proof that i am reaching obsessive stage of this whole olympic thing!

You are not the only one... B) ....some weeks ago i dreamt with the OC.... thousands of shining butterflies flying and making the 5 rings.... :ph34r:

Another long time lurker here.

I have been dipping in and out so I hope I'm not treading over old ground.

Could the official game provide an indication of where the cauldron would be? It seems very clear from the introduction to the game.

From past experience (and past games !) there is no clue... they use an old design of cauldron and put it where they can...

I spent a big part of today reading this forum, and it's quite comforting to see that no-one knows (which is how it should be).

Being in the "privileged" position of coming in at this late point, it would seem (to me) clear that the London2012 cauldron lighting will be either a) Embarrassingly poor or B) Amazing.

OK, not insightful thinking maybe, but I don't (and hope not) some middle-ground "seen-it-before" stuff. I really now think us UK'ers have a chance to actually look quite good, draw on our heritage, and be "spectacular" without having to spend TOO much.

This idea has been rubbished many times here, but I am still convinced the flame will be lit in the stadium and skylined to the "missing bit" of the MittalOrbit,

I also still like the idea of it being at the top of the Orbit - to me the Orbit would really make sense as part of the Olympic Park if that were the case and it would secure its legacy moving forward. But Heatherwick designing the cauldron makes me think it sadly won't happen - I don't think they would stick his cauldron on top of the Orbit.

I think it would be a really nice way to light the flame as well, take it around the stadium - then back out again with all the viewers wondering where its going, then see it cross over to the Orbit and run up the spiral staircase with it, fireworks coming out of the stairs as they go up, then light it from inside the viewing gallery.

One thing that hasn't really been touched on is what emotive thread they might use in the lighting of the cauldron, if any. In Barcelona it was lit by a paralympic competitior, in Atlanta Mohammed Ali. In Athens the emotion was in seeing the games coming home to Greece and in Beijing I suppose it was the significance of the moment of China's emergence and acceptance on the World stage. I personally really liked Sydney, all women carrying the torch into the stadium, passing it on to Cathy Freeman (of aboriginal decent) and standing in a line cheering her on as she rose the steps to light the cauldron.

Unfortunately I don't know where it is now, but I saw an interview with one of the producers of the ceremonies (probably in this thread somewhere) and she said she was confident London's would be the most emotional and best of them all. I'd quite like it to be lit by someone like Martine Wiltshire - was on a tube train on 7/7, reading the paper about the Olympics coming to London and was involved in one of the bombings. She lost both legs and has since trained hard and secured a place in Team GB at the Paralympics. It's a very inspirational story.

I also still like the idea of it being at the top of the Orbit - to me the Orbit would really make sense as part of the Olympic Park if that were the case and it would secure its legacy moving forward. But Heatherwick designing the cauldron makes me think it sadly won't happen - I don't think they would stick his cauldron on top of the Orbit.

I think it would be a really nice way to light the flame as well, take it around the stadium - then back out again with all the viewers wondering where its going, then see it cross over to the Orbit and run up the spiral staircase with it, fireworks coming out of the stairs as they go up, then light it from inside the viewing gallery.

One thing that hasn't really been touched on is what emotive thread they might use in the lighting of the cauldron, if any. In Barcelona it was lit by a paralympic competitior, in Atlanta Mohammed Ali. In Athens the emotion was in seeing the games coming home to Greece and in Beijing I suppose it was the significance of the moment of China's emergence and acceptance on the World stage. I personally really liked Sydney, all women carrying the torch into the stadium, passing it on to Cathy Freeman (of aboriginal decent) and standing in a line cheering her on as she rose the steps to light the cauldron.

Unfortunately I don't know where it is now, but I saw an interview with one of the producers of the ceremonies (probably in this thread somewhere) and she said she was confident London's would be the most emotional and best of them all. I'd quite like it to be lit by someone like Martine Wiltshire - was on a tube train on 7/7, reading the paper about the Olympics coming to London and was involved in one of the bombings. She lost both legs and has since trained hard and secured a place in Team GB at the Paralympics. It's a very inspirational story.

Ooooooo, like the Wiltshire angle a lot. If she is not involved in the final lap, she's got to be the favorite for the Paralympics torch lighting.

For me... Here is my thoughts on the final laps of the torch inside the stadium.

Assuming he is able, I know there is at least one British medalist left from the 48 Games. He would be my favorite to bring the torch in. If not, I would check to see of any relatives of Harold Abrahams and/or Eric Liddle to bring it in.

Next person in the relay should be Derek Redmond. Would be a nice touch to have him start his portion of the lap then after a short portion, have him stop and wave to the stands, bringing his father onto the track and jointly carry the torch, homage to the mo net 20 years ago in Barcelona.

From Redmond to Sir Roger Bannister for the next portion of the relay. Bannister brings it to Sir Steven Redgrave who will be the cauldron lighter.

Obvious room for improvement and for more torch lighters (Thing Beijing set the record with 8 inside the stadium), but we don't want to overdo this.

Just my thoughts.

Maybe they could use the Olympic flame to burn down the Orbit? Sorry, that was a joke...I really don't like that thing. But I don't see the Orbit playing a role in the flame lighting at all.

Careful with jokes like that. I know you are kidding, but remember TowerGuy/YellowVest and what happended to him.

I'm not a fan of the Orbit either, but I take some comfort it will NOT be the site of the cauldron, just a monument to mayoral ego.

I know you are kidding, but remember TowerGuy/YellowVest and what happended to him.

Off topic... but what did happen to him? Just kinda had a foot-in-mouth moment and never appeared on these forums again?

Off topic... but what did happen to him? Just kinda had a foot-in-mouth moment and never appeared on these forums again?

Well, it is known that the RCMP did pay him a visit; and I believe internet access was taken away and/or he was heavily watched. Understandably; such a warped mind.

No, he disappeared already before the start of the Vancouver Games -- the RCMP paid him a visit already then, because they obviously feared he would want to prove his "BC Place's roof will burst when the cauldron is lit" scenario.

kevzz, Tower Guy/YellowVest (he had two accounts) was getting on our nerves for many months (I believe, even years) before Vancouver's opening ceremony. He was totally obsessed with the fear (or secret hope) that BC Place's roof would explode due to the heat of the indoor cauldron's flame. And that was what he constanly posted on this forum. He always argued with us (and we with him) about it, he even made calculations about the temperature of the flame and the air pressure of the dome etc. and was absolutely stubborn. We increasingly thought that this guy must be crazy and it became more and more eerie.

Then, a few months before the Games, he made a post along the lines of "If you don't believe me, just wait and see. I will be right!" -- which could also be interpreted as if he wanted to burst the roof up himself, just to prove that he was right. And that was obviously the post which called RCMP to action. I believe that a forum member had alarmed them and showed them that post.

Thanks O2004, that's some holy creepy drama there! Hilarious too in a way :D

I've found the post I mentioned -- which was the turning point in all that drama:

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/15580-ceremonies-discussion/page__st__220__p__246199#entry246199

You should also read the following comments. There you'll see who finally contacted the RCMP.

hi everyone -

reading this discussion for a while -

came to my own personal conclusion, i'd like to share:

so after looking at 'new' pics on skyscrapercity i had a closer

look on that famous plate outside the main stadium - and thought

to myself > why is there still temporary (building-site) fencing around

that area > and what the hack are they doing under that huge foot-bridge

(coloured area) ???

idea2012.jpg

also:

i think: they didn't really move their original plans for the placement of the cauldron that much -

they just moved it a bit lower - perhaps easier to block and yet still in good view not only

of the spectators but for the whole of the park

(a save yet elegant way > not like the vancouver building site fences around the cauldron <_< )

cheers' everyone

looking forwrad to your thoughts!

:rolleyes:

also:

i think: they didn't really move their original plans for the placement of the cauldron that much -

they just moved it a bit lower - perhaps easier to block and yet still in good view not only

of the spectators but for the whole of the park

(a save yet elegant way > not like the vancouver building site fences around the cauldron <_< )

cheers' everyone

looking forwrad to your thoughts!

:rolleyes:

they lowed it? uhh..... maybe the lowest cauldron in summer olympics???? how low is it?? need more explainations

they lowed it? uhh..... maybe the lowest cauldron in summer olympics???? how low is it?? need more explainations

NO - that square is lower then the actual stadium plaza - but the cauldron will be high - pre assembled elswehre -

and put in place at last minute (with enough time to check if it all works fine) :)

and:

perfect 'photo-spot' for anyone in the olympic park=

you'll get the stadium / the golden meadows / the flame /

the waterways > all on one pic -

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the hint! Are you from Germany by any chance (because of your nickname)?

It really looks like as if there's something going on around that plate. It looks different now. They hadn't a construction fence (if that's what it is -- one can't recognise really) around it before.

In which SSC thread exactly did you find those pictures? I can't find them.

Archived