London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he meant that we haven't written anything for three days. Probably because this thread is usually that busy it's strange already for some members if there is nothing going on here for such a "long" time. ;)

Thank you, at least someone understands, I can see I've got people saying things again!

Thank you, at least someone understands, I can see I've got people saying things again!

Let's keep it up! Being the busiest forum and all!

Ive just arrived in Northern Greece for a christening and holidays. I'm almost Greek, been here so many times,beautiful country, beautiful people. Going to the island of Skiathos shortly.

Any new developments in or around the staidum? Aerial photos?

Apparently not...

Ive just arrived in Northern Greece for a christening and holidays. I'm almost Greek, been here so many times,beautiful country, beautiful people. Going to the island of Skiathos shortly.

Any new developments in or around the staidum? Aerial photos?

I'm in the Olympic Park tomorrow and will hope to get as many pictures as possible and post them at some stage on Sunday when I get back to my computer. I've never posted any on my own pictures here before. Is it relatively easy to do?

I had a nose around in the past couple of days as close as I could to the site where we think the cauldron might be, and looked around inside the stadium. There's still nothing to see, at least as close as I could spot from one of the bridges. The mystery continues, and I imagine we might not even know after the dress rehearsals!

Well, BC place was an inclosed venue so aerial pictures showed nothing and the idea of a cauldron out by the convention center wasn't really on people's minds so no one was looking there.

Five weeks out, Beijing's cauldron was well into its construction... nothing yet about London's that we can see...

Especially not if they even want to exhibit a model of the cauldron at the V & A museum. Would they exhibit the cauldron minus the Orbit? That would probably look awkward. Would they exhibit the cauldron plus the Orbit? Then it wouldn't be an exhibition purely with Thomas Heatherwick stuff.

Additionally, we would most certainly see at this late stage of time if they built a cauldron on the Orbit.

No, the cauldron must be under construction right now, but hidden somewhere. And that's why I increasingly lose faith in a tower outside the stadium.

Looking at the latest tor/oak tree picture from the Ceremony thread's Sun website link, you can see the ledge on the roof more clearly now. Still not entirely sure what it's for. Is it possible the grass surface of the tor will be peeled off at one stage to reveal a different stage under? The swirling contour of the tor resembles the swirl of water (river) too, maybe it is part of the design concept for the cauldron?

I still strongly believe the tor HAS got to be used for some other purpose. That tree and the tor is not placed there without any practical function. We know the tree will be lifted up at some point, but what comes under or what replaces it is still up in the air. At this stage I will bet all my chips on the cauldron being lit on this tor/ mound/ stage.

The Orbit is unrealistic for all the reasons already outlined in this thread; health and safety, artistic integrity, being able to actually see the flame, its peaking over the roof of the stadium rather than dominating it. Just can't see it.

The circular bit is the Great British Garden. It's hard to see from the overhead shot you posted, but there's an oak tree smack bang in the middle of that circle. So I think we can safely rule that out too.

From the Virtual Tour posted by Rob in the olympic park thread:

http://www.jasonhawk...irtualtour.html

Anyone noticed that quaint little arch bridge linking the colour mosaic bridge across the river to the green landscape to the east of the stadium? There's two little rectangle white patches on the grass. Firstly, what is that little arch bridge for? It looks so disproportionate and odd, linking to that patch of landscape that really is a dead end with no special interest. Could it be the bridge is special access only and the rectangle patches are where the cauldron is?

I think the barges are actually holding several generators, there's an enormous amount of temporary power already installed at the stadium. Correct, there is a ledge over the Tor but it doesn't look strong enough to support a substantial structure. I do know what it's for but, respecting confidentiality, you won't find out until show time. Sorry!

I think the barges are actually holding several generators, there's an enormous amount of temporary power already installed at the stadium. Correct, there is a ledge over the Tor but it doesn't look strong enough to support a substantial structure. I do know what it's for but, respecting confidentiality, you won't find out until show time. Sorry!

Judging by the size of the ledge and it's prominence position, I think it is to be used for someone performing something on it. Should be strong enough to support a person, no?

I still strongly believe the tor HAS got to be used for some other purpose. That tree and the tor is not placed there without any practical function. We know the tree will be lifted up at some point, but what comes under or what replaces it is still up in the air. At this stage I will bet all my chips on the cauldron being lit on this tor/ mound/ stage.

Strong arguments against the Tor as location of the cauldron is that it would block the view of the jumbotron (OK, they only installed the right one at that end of the stadium so far, but what should they build a jumbotron for if they don't want to use it?) and in this seating plan you can see that the blocks where the Tor stage is right now have numbers (it's around block 150 to the left) and therefore are/were obviously available for athletics ticket sales.

OlympicStadium-001-0011.jpg

And by the way, didn't Adrian already say that the Tor is not the cauldron's location?

Another thing: It will be interesting how they want to provide the audience members at the southern end close-ups of the ceremonial performers if the jumbotron at the northern end is blocked by the Tor.

The same could apply to the jumbotron at the southern end because the huge bell could be in the way.

Another thing: It will be interesting how they want to provide the audience members at the southern end close-ups of the ceremonial performers if the jumbotron at the northern end is blocked by the Tor.

The same could apply to the jumbotron at the southern end because the huge bell could be in the way.

The jumbotrons are still in place (or are being erected at the moment); additional jumbotron-type screens will be suspended above the northern seats.

I'm being careful not to reveal anything that can't be classed as common knowledge!

The jumbotrons are still in place (or are being erected at the moment); additional jumbotron-type screens will be suspended above the northern seats.

I'm being careful not to reveal anything that can't be classed as common knowledge!

Oh Jeesuz, no one's going to know. Those Confidentiality Agmts are so silly. I mean Boyle is already revealing so much. How come only they CAN reveal things? Basic rule in life: agmts are made to be broken. They're getting free sweat from you. U're entitled to exercise your freedom of speech! C'mon, spill one for the Gipper! ;)

And by the way, didn't Adrian already say that the Tor is not the cauldron's location?

I think the lighting ceremony will happen on the Tor, but where the lit cauldron will move to next is anyone's game. Obviously the Tor and bell stage at either end will be dismantled by the time athletics starts.

Thanks for the information! But what will the spectators on the northern side do? Or will the jumbotron on the southern side not be blocked by the bell?

Oh Jeesuz, no one's going to know. Those Confidentiality Agmts are so silly. I mean Boyle is already revealing so much. How come only they CAN reveal things? Basic rule in life: agmts are made to be broken. They're getting free sweat from you. U're entitled to exercise your freedom of speech! C'mon, spill one for the Gipper! ;)

Okay. There are Teletubbies living under the stage!

Thanks for the information! But what will the spectators on the northern side do? Or will the jumbotron on the southern side not be blocked by the bell?

The stadium's still in a state of flux so there could well be other screens that appear; the bell itself doesn't hugely obscure the jumbotrons at the bell end. As for the lighting, there's going to be some theatre leading up to it which I think Adrian's already alluded to, but I don't yet see how it's going to link in to the lighting of the cauldron.

Not much help, I know!

Archived