London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

The tower is such an eyesore that Zeus should throw a lighting bolt at it and burn it to the ground before the Games get underway. That's the only type of 'Olympic fire' worthy of that mess.

Here, here. Most eyesores get easier on the eye everytime you see them - but this tower of junk just seems to get worse.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think those pods are definitely a coverup. There's no good reason to have them grouped that way. It would create serious foot traffic problems if they stayed there. Between the photos and the articles, I'm ready to say that's where the cauldron will be.

How they will erect it so quickly and keep it a surprise (much less light it) I have NO idea. The suspense is fun though.

Something is definitely happening with that barge too...

I think those pods are definitely a coverup. There's no good reason to have them grouped that way. It would create serious foot traffic problems if they stayed there. Between the photos and the articles, I'm ready to say that's where the cauldron will be.

This is what was under the pod....

The strange thing is that now the 2 pods are jointed !

view3.jpg

But their location do not cause pedestrian traffic problems.

When you look at all of them together, I really think they do create a traffic problem. Those pods will sell food and/or souvenirs, right? When you look at one of the pictures showing the whole stadium, there are too many pods grouped too closely together. By the time people are forming queues and trying to navigate through the area I think it would be a total traffic jam if they left it the way it is now.

The circular stage under the jumbotron, the ledge off the rim of the roof, the triangular light structure - they all seemed to be aligned to a greater purpose. Perhaps the shaft struture on the stage is a lift transporting the final torchbearer up to the ledge stage. He then touch the light triangle which somehow beam the flame to the cauldron tower outside?? As far fetched as I can imagine! :P

When you look at all of them together, I really think they do create a traffic problem. Those pods will sell food and/or souvenirs, right? When you look at one of the pictures showing the whole stadium, there are too many pods grouped too closely together. By the time people are forming queues and trying to navigate through the area I think it would be a total traffic jam if they left it the way it is now.

I have been one of ours saying those pods could be fake ones hiding something... but what we saw under them before their construction bring me doubts !

Regarding access and traffic, this is something I pretty know well, and I'm still confirming that how things are organized here work well !

I have my doubts about anything going there.

A cauldron on that location would have to be really tall; definitely taller than Torino's because London's stadium's floodlights reach so high up towards the sky that a structure behind them would have to be considerably taller in order to be seen from the inside of the stadium and look prominent enough as well.

And such a structure would require a sizable foundation to support it. Again, look at the big hole Torino had to dig up in order to hold its cauldron tower's foundation. With over a month and a half left until they begin on-site rehearsals, there is no evidence that a foundation for a tall structure is being built in that area. We see some minor activity but nothing to suggest that anything big is being built from the ground up.

Those pods are huge. They are almost like a large shop or a mini warehouse. Wouldn't think they will operate like a concession stalls where people queue outside. The sheer size and depth of it means spectators can actually queue inside and perhaps have seatings as well.

Makes me think why do they build such large pods. It makes the theory of them as a disguise to store/ construct cauldron parts plausible.

I have my doubts about anything going there.

A cauldron on that location would have to be really tall; definitely taller than Torino's because London's stadium's floodlights reach so high up towards the sky that a structure behind them would have to be considerably taller in order to be seen from the inside of the stadium and look prominent enough as well.

And such a structure would require a sizable foundation to support it. Again, look at the big hole Torino had to dig up in order to hold its cauldron tower's foundation. With over a month and a half left until they begin on-site rehearsals, there is no evidence that a foundation for a tall structure is being built in that area. We see some minor activity but nothing to suggest that anything big is being built from the ground up.

Perhaps the ledge on the roof rim acts as a support platform for Heatherwicks cauldron sculpture? That looks like a perfect location to me to be seen by almost all without being too close to the roof light clutters. The triangular light structure actually frames that ledge quite well if a cauldron is placed there.

So London organizers somehow got word that a private aircraft was on its way to snap pictures and stopped whatever they were building and ran to put those pods in place to hide their work?

I doubt it, unless they're building at night and easily slide those huge pods over every single morning like its nothing.

I don't think the cauldron will be on the roof. It isn't strong enough. It's NOT on the Orbit (for reasons already well documented). It's not going to be way off in the distance somewhere in the park. Its not going to be in the middle if the field. Adrianme has confirmed it is not located on either of the temporary stages. We're running out of options.

All the construction/preparation we've seen runs along that north/south axis. The article cites that northern location and says the cauldron could be 150m tall. There are gaslines there. I admit there are still some question marks, but I am persuaded by process of elimination that the cauldron will be just outside the stadium to the north.

I will humbly eat my words if I am wrong -- and I could well be, but at this point it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

How they will erect it so quickly and keep it a surprise (much less light it) I have NO idea. The suspense is fun though.

Something is definitely happening with that barge too...

I couldn't agree with you more. Why would they have the pods so closely grouped, when there is space around other parts of the stadium, very fishy indeed!

I couldn't agree with you more. Why would they have the pods so closely grouped, when there is space around other parts of the stadium, very fishy indeed!

What more space around the stadium? They have pods all around it.

Hate to be pedantic, but wouldn't Beijing classify as "Secondary Fuel Pathway" lighting? It was just a whole lot quicker than say Vancouver's or Salt Lake's.

Also, it might be possible to say there were "two lightings" to Sydney's cauldron. First, the ring of fire lit by Freeman that encircled her and burned on the dish. And second, the flame on top of the cauldron's pedestal that seemed to get ignited by the ring of fire when it made contact with the dish atop the stadium's grandstand at the end of the lighting sequence or was lit via an independent automatic fuse that replaced the ring of fire once the gas supply on the dish ran out. Hope that made sense haha

What more space around the stadium? They have pods all around it.

To the west and south side of the stadium there is space! I'm pretty sure something is going on to do with those pods, btw does anyone know why they changed the design of them, originally they were bubble shaped, but now they're bland boxes.

To the west and south side of the stadium there is space! I'm pretty sure something is going on to do with those pods, btw does anyone know why they changed the design of them, originally they were bubble shaped, but now they're bland boxes.

I think they changed the design due to the costs. I`m pretty sure that the production costs of bubble shaped pods would be quite expensive, furthermore the new design is even more efficient due to space etc.

They can't have them on the west side because that's where the VIP's are. The VIP building takes up concourse space for pods. And I imagine they need to have them around the stadium as best as much as possible - they can't leave the north side lacking pods and overrun the south side with more of them.

This pods-as-cover-up theory sounds very far-fetched. Again, did they just know that a private aircraft was coming to take aerial pictures and rushed to move those pods in place to hide whatever they might building underneath them? That's very hard to believe.

This pods-as-cover-up theory sounds very far-fetched. Again, did they just know that a private aircraft was coming to take aerial pictures and rushed to move those pods in place to hide whatever they might building underneath them? That's very hard to believe.

That would be hard to believe and I don't think it would be as complicated as moving a pod on a daily basis (or when they hear a 'copter overhead!) But I could potentially see them having dug foundations or a base while there was lots of other work going on in that area and simply put a pod over the top to 'hide' them so as to keep the secrecy element. Of course, if that is the case, they'll have to remove it at some point in order to build the rest of the tower and any subsequent aerial shot might give it away.

They can't have them on the west side because that's where the VIP's are. The VIP building takes up concourse space for pods. And I imagine they need to have them around the stadium as best as much as possible - they can't leave the north side lacking pods and overrun the south side with more of them.

No I never agreed to the 'move them quickly for the plane idea', that is stupid. I just think its quite interesting how those pods are closely grouped. Anyway, all of us have no idea!

Just a random thought which I don't think is likely myself but is it possible at all that one section of the roof of the stadium might be removed to make way for a cauldron which is anchored underneath it. Obviously the roof itself couldn't support a cauldron in this case, but it could hide one.

No way the cauldron will be at this side of the stadium.

Media and VIP won't be able to watch it's lightning

I wasn't saying it would be there. I think its going to be over beyond the left hand side if that picture.

If I am correct, the relationship between the media and the cauldron will be almost exactly the same as what it was in Athens.

Igniting Olympic Cauldrons

Since the first Cauldron was lit at Amsterdam 1928, there appears to be six ways of igniting Olympic Cauldrons:

(...)

As far as I know, St. Moritz 1948 didn't have an Olympic Flame. They didn't have a torch relay for the Winter Games before Oslo 1952, and as far as I know, the cauldron in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in 1936 was lit automatically or at least not by one specific torchbearer.

Additionally, Los Angeles 1932 had only an automatically lit cauldron because the torch relay wasn't invented then. Berlin 1936 were the first Games with a torch relay and a final torchbearer dipping his torch into the cauldron.

CORRECTION: Apparently St. Moritz did have an Olympic Flame, even if it hadn't a torch relay yet. You can see the flame at 1:17 in this video: http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675063363_Olympic-games_people-gather_teams-marching_hockey-match And apparently they had a man lighting the cauldron: http://winterolympics1948.blogspot.de/

Archived