London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Do we know that there aren't gas lines anywhere in the Olympic Park besides the northern end of the stadium? Because I can see them having one inside the stadium and another outside somewhere in the park. I doubt we'll see a tall tower, no signs of a foundation for one at this point.

Then how do you know there are several gas lines lying around to place a cauldron willy-nilly? Do you think they threw a dart, blindfolded, at the map of Olympic Park and then said: That's it! That's where we'll place a cauldron? :rolleyes:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then how do you know there are several gas lines lying around to place a cauldron willy-nilly? Do you think they threw a dart, blindfolded, at the map of Olympic Park and then said: That's it! That's where we'll place a cauldron? :rolleyes:

No. Read again. I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

Notice the question mark there?

I guess you don't.

It's been documented per official 'permit' papers that the gas lines laid for inside the stadium--in the infield--and to that spot just on the northern outside of the stadium. It's either one or the other; or both. They were laid there before a Ceremonies team was picked. It's just up to the Ceremonies people now to come up with a scenario using one or the other, or both, to make a dramatic lighting...or not. I don't think that's very difficult to comprehend, is it?

Thank you for the information. I wasn't aware that the location of the gas lines were laid out before the ceremonies team was chosen.

And yes, pretty easy to comprehend. This goes without saying, but I definitely prefer clear answers from you over condescending misinterpretations.

Thank you for the information. I wasn't aware that the location of the gas lines were laid out before the ceremonies team was chosen.

And yes, pretty easy to comprehend. This goes without saying, but I definitely prefer clear answers from you over condescending misinterpretations.

Sorry 'bout that. I really could not understand the thrust of your earlier post. It's only Sydney where the cauldron location/placement was pre-conceived before and alongside the planning of their new stadium. Every other situation, the Ceremonies teams come in afterwards and make do with the physical situation presented them. For Sochi, they've supposedly held up or changed the roof design because shortly after Vancouver, someone supposedly began thinking what sort of a cauldron-lighting moment they would attempt. So that one is a hybrid situation in that mid-way through the erection of the stadium, they paused to try and incorporate a unique lighting m.o. within the infrastructure of their stadium.

I will be really surprised if there's a cauldron in the middle of the field. It would obviously have to be temporary and then where would it go? A mobile cauldron seems very far-fetched.

I'm suspecting there will be one cauldron and that it will stay in one place. That may be wishful thinking on my part. I just really disliked Vancouver's dual cauldrons. The second one seemed like an afterthought. It wasn't publicly accessible or easily viewable. The fencing was off-putting. The first one was then hidden from view inside BC Place throughout the Games. I just really didn't care for it at all. Couldn't hold a candle to a single visible beacon.

I still suspect that the ceremony ticket design means something -- quite possibly connected to the cauldron -- but I dont think we're going to be able to piece it together until after the fact.

. About the wires, the complexity of the flying wires network suspended now above the arena are visible in these photos, including their outboard anchor points in the first photo and the inner ones.

Beijing also had a whole network of criss-crossing wires there. Those are primarily zip lines for cablecams & as you saw, other flying stunts (i.e., that "flying sheet of paper," the 5 rings on netting, the flying fairies, etc., etc. London's roof is so much lighter that I doubt there will be as many 'heavy' flying objects as Beijing and/or Athens. But I guess good Luck on trying to uncover other clues. Just keep us posted on what and when you find it.

Does anyone know of the type of restaurant that will be in this tower?

I think it's going to be called "The Other Cauldron." The servers will be strung on wires and float onto your tables with the menus and your orders. There will be a special room for those who fancy sneaking in a little nookie 150-ft above the ground and viewing the OTHER cauldron. :lol::lol:

I think it's going to be called "The Other Cauldron." The servers will be strung on wires and float onto your tables with the menus and your orders. There will be a special room for those who fancy sneaking in a little nookie 150-ft above the ground and viewing the OTHER cauldron. :lol::lol:

And, of course, the option to BBQ your own food at the table :P

Shrek - there was a piece around the 100 days to go mark which said the cables could support around 40 double-decker buses.

Not all restaurants cook with gas. The Gordon Ramsay place, Plane Food, at Terminal 5 has to use alternatives since there's no gas allowed at Terminal 5.

I just really disliked Vancouver's dual cauldrons. The second one seemed like an afterthought. It wasn't publicly accessible or easily viewable. The fencing was off-putting. The first one was then hidden from view inside BC Place throughout the Games. I just really didn't care for it at all. Couldn't hold a candle to a single visible beacon.

Really? Most journalists and visitors in Vancouver said the cauldron was the most accessible they ever encountered as most are locked away in the stadium behind layers of fencing and security.

I don't think it was an 'afterthought' either. They couldn't keep the flame in BC Place lit throughout the games as it was a fully enclosed venue at the time. I attended the OC and even after a few minutes, the whole stadium smelled of gas exhaust. As you may have noted during the CC, the gas was turned down and the flames were a lot smaller. They were likely planned together, but I would think the idea and location of the permanent cauldron was planned long ahead of time - the setting on the waterfront is prime location and made for great photos. People flocked there throughout the games and indeed they still snap their photo in front of the glass and steel structure.

The fence, I will give you, was ugly and unfortunate. No doubt, they couldn't have people climbing on the structure, so something was needed...but did it have to be so damned ugly? Thankfully, when they opened the roof viewing location from was is soon to be a Cactus Club Restaurant, it provided 'fence-free' views of the cauldron.

As for the ceremonial cauldron, it was basically extinguished and folded away after the OC. It wasn't present or viewable at all during any of the Victory Ceremonies at BC Place Stadium.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Look here at how Cinderella glams it up after sunset with a glittering evening gown!

_60542597_stadium_night_2.jpg

Notice the floodlights in this picture are only at 33% (2/3rds are off) and yet it's still incredibly bright. I don't think it's got anything to do with the cauldron, but it's interesting.

12 floodlights for 2012. Cute.

Are there other spots on that are attached to the inner ring of the stadium though below the banks of floodlights - it looks like there are some spots of lights below some of the unlit floodlights which might be helping to boost the impact. Still impressively bright though!

I'm stealing this post from the "Look of the Games" thread:

And then not only do I post that, but this photo appears on ssc.

article-2155263-1379388D000005DC-233_964x509.jpg

What could it be?

Probably it has nothing to do with the cauldron (since it doesn't look like a Heatherwick sculpture and also seems to be completed already; additionally, someone mentioned that (allegedly) there's another one of that structure near the Orbit) -- but I just wanted to give you some new food of thought. ;)

The interesting thing is that this structure is about on that axis crossing the Olympic Stadium from south to north, just significantly farther away from the stadium than that proposed cauldron location where now all the catering pods are.

You can see the structure's location on this picture by Jason Hawkes:

JasonHawkes-6298_xlarge.jpg

You can spot the structure to the right of the McDonald's restaurant which is the wood-coloured building behind that bridge at the northern end of the stadium.

I'm stealing this post from the "Look of the Games" thread:

Probably it has nothing to do with the cauldron (since it doesn't look like a Heatherwick sculpture and also seems to be completed already; additionally, someone mentioned that (allegedly) there's another one of that structure near the Orbit) -- but I just wanted to give you some new food of thought. ;)

The interesting thing is that this structure is about on that axis crossing the Olympic Stadium from south to north, just significantly farther away from the stadium than that proposed cauldron location where now all the catering pods are.

You can see the structure's location on this picture by Jason Hawkes:

JasonHawkes-6298_xlarge.jpg

You can spot the structure to the right of the McDonald's restaurant which is the wood-coloured building behind that bridge at the northern end of the stadium.

Interesting... Very interesting indeed, well found

Archived