London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Of course, they would have to induce labor at the right time...because she could be in labor for hours on end and the show could stretch on until 4 or 5am, if she didn't deliver by 11:37 pm!! :lol:

And what if they were twins? Are Boyle and Daldry ready for that contingency? I can see the headlines -- Olympic twins Romulus and Remus delay, delight and Light the Olympic Cauldron for London!! :lol:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's a great idea to have a mother give birth to a child right there at the base of the cauldron and then have the baby guided by the parents or midwife or Steve Redgrave, then light the cauldron with a mini-torch. I mean what drama! It would complete the cycle of the 'pregnant woman' who appeared at the Athens 2004 opening, and now give birth in London. It would be the latest word in "renewal" and regeneration!! :lol:

The Queen and Dame Edna would be sobbing in each other's frocks!!

LOL :D

Could be a child or one of the youngest members of the Team GB like Mark Nesbitt (archery) or Tom Daley (diving). I really like the idea.

I really like

Of course, they would have to induce labor at the right time...because she could be in labor for hours on end and the show could stretch on until 4 or 5am, if she didn't deliver by 11:37 pm!! :lol:

And what if they were twins? Are Boyle and Daldry ready for that contingency? I can see the headlines -- Olympic twins Romulus and Remus delay, delight and Light the Olympic Cauldron for London!! :lol:

I am sure they will do a screening beforehand to determine if it's a twin or what. NO time for surprise octupussy here, if not the cauldron wont be lit till the next morning!

One could've called that a kid from East London will light the cauldron 7 years ago. Though that dosen't make it any less likely.

If anything, that's my bet along with a sculptural cauldron at or near the ground level of the stadium.

Latest aerial pic from Jason Hawkes. Something is definitely going on in the middle of the ground. They seem to be building a platform and some sort of tower looking like structure. It seems pretty plausible that can be where the cauldron is located (at least when it's lit).

JasonHawkes-3829_xlarge.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIUJTME2Z5CY3PNYA&Expires=1338225071&Signature=cL4kEwbFcR7ZAA3%2FByEKnPl9%2F%2F8%3D

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ctures-18239274

jasonhawkes.com/

From MitchHM's bro's pic

This shows a lot! Anyone like to throw up some ideas? There is definitely going to be an end-stage being built there! More people should go for heli joy ride closer to the Games to give us updates on the latest happenign since no way they going to release official aerial shots from now on.

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

What´s that (wood??) structure near the big screen?!

Good question... :huh:

I wonder if it´s Stonehenge structure......

What's the circle in the middle?

Good question... :huh:

I wonder if it´s Stonehenge structure......

They're building a stage there.

And I think they will hide the cauldron underneath it, Sydney-style, since the stadium dosen't have underground areas for props like Athens and Beijing did.

Your remark is about the circle in the middle or about the structure near the screen?

They're building a stage there.

And I think they will hide the cauldron underneath it, Sydney-style, since the stadium dosen't have underground areas for props like Athens and Beijing did.

My thoughts exactly. The cauldron will rise up from under the stage, that is almost a certainty now since no way they can hide anything in the field without digging underground or raising the entire field of play.

But that stage doesn't appear very high -- not much space for an impressive and not too small cauldron below it. And also it's in front of a screen. So I don't know whether they'll really hide a cauldron there. It would fit, though, that there's a gas pipe there -- judging by the slightly confusing information we got from that tour guide in that magazine article. The article mentioned that he was standing in the northern part of the stadium when he talked about the gas pipe, even if he said that the gas pipe is opposite of the VIP stands (which would be the eastern part of the stadium actually).

And there's another reason why I'm still sceptical about a cauldron on or near ground level: How impressive could it be to light such a cauldron? The best they can do is lighting the cauldron bowl (or whatever shape it will have) on ground or stage level, then rise the cauldron hydraulically a little -- and that's it. It would be extremely bland and un-innovative for a cauldron lighting in the year 2012.

All in all, I have big difficulties imagining a cauldron underneath or on that stage. Maybe it's because I don't want to say goodbye to the idea of a tall and impressive outdoor cauldron right now. ;)

Latest aerial pic from Jason Hawkes. Something is definitely going on in the middle of the ground. They seem to be building a platform and some sort of tower looking like structure. It seems pretty plausible that can be where the cauldron is located (at least when it's lit).

JasonHawkes-3829_xlarge.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIUJTME2Z5CY3PNYA&Expires=1338225071&Signature=cL4kEwbFcR7ZAA3%2FByEKnPl9%2F%2F8%3D

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ctures-18239274

jasonhawkes.com/

As I was previously thought, they have built a stage covering the field of play, so allowing people and things to appear...

A lot of interesting pics here : https://picasaweb.google.com/105364703788775932956/OlympicParkCredited?authkey=Gv1sRgCKWVg9PSvvqcVg&noredirect=1

The structure under the screen is the stage for orchestra and some singers...

The main wood stage covering all the football pitch and part of the athletics' track is the main stage of the ceremony with a lot of operations hidden under....

this was before the recent pics and that black circle in the middle was lower than it is now

527799_397289090309777_277310375640983_1111912_2039272049_n.jpg

so maybe the cauldron will be in the middle of the field like vancouver and rise up out of the stage. but it's too "been there, done that" don't you think.

this was before the recent pics and that black circle in the middle was lower than it is now

so maybe the cauldron will be in the middle of the field like vancouver and rise up out of the stage. but it's too "been there, done that" don't you think.

Plus it can't stay there for the field events.

God I hope it doesn't, I hated vancouver's cauldron and lighting of it. I think there should only be one cauldron.

My thoughts exactly. The cauldron will rise up from under the stage, that is almost a certainty now since no way they can hide anything in the field without digging underground or raising the entire field of play.

I have a feeling the stage is simply for the bell that will chime at the start of the opening ceremony. Although I do hope our lighting is somewhat like Sydney's as it was spectacular!

From SSC someone mentioned that the cauldron will be lit by a child from the host borough (Newham). Love love the idea, it will be a very touching gesture and totally fit the motto of inspire a generation. I hope this is true, there's no protocol that said the cauldron must be lit by a prolific athlete no? SLC 2002 was lit by a bunch of firefighters

Been reported that the flame will be lit by a child ( from the host borough )and not a athlete as part of

" inspire a generation ".

I guess it would fit the theme of the Games, and it's not a hugely *bad idea* as such, but to be honest, I'd prefer an Olympic athlete, a sporting legend.

I know it would be sickeningly sweet to have a little kid light it, no doubt born on the day London won the Games, but the Olympics should still be honouring those amazing legends of years gone by. Lighting the Olympic cauldron would have to be an absolute career highlight. The idea of giving it to some random child who in 10 years time could just as easily be pimping their ass on the side of the road selling p and rubbing cocaine on the gums of their child, as they could be starting to compete in a future Olympiad, just doesn't sit quite right with me.

Of course that's overly dramatic, but I think if the ceremony can inspire a generation, let's give the climax of the ceremony as the moment where we see the ultimate in what a sportsman/woman can be - a British sporting legend.

I guess a compromise could be the duo, representing youth, and representing sporting excellence.

That I could handle.

Love all the latest photos, really gets me extra excited, looks like it's going to be something special.

As for 2 cauldrons. I'd prefer one, I could handle too, just as long as the stadium cauldron isn't extinguished at the end of the ceremony, ala Vancouver. That just ruins it completely.

I clearly prefer a single cauldron. In the host city, there should only be one flame as the focal point and not two or even more. Vancouver "solved" that by extinguishing the indoor cauldron and having the outdoor cauldron as the focal point during the Games, but I absolutely agree with you, Matty, that it's extremely anti-climatic and disappointing to do so.

And so far, they have only spoken about Heatherwick designing the cauldron and not several cauldrons. I think that for an artist like him it's also important that there is only one specimen of his cauldron sculpture and not (maybe) a smaller one for the stadium and a bigger one for outside. I'm sure he wants to create a unique sculpture.

Archived