London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless the stadium is suspended above the field (highly unlikely) or there's a small cauldron on a stage (this has its fair share of points against it), not everyone in the stadium will see London's cauldron either.

Sydney was definitely a jaw-dropper; but Athens' was just functional. Like..oh, they managed to find some place to squeeze that tiny thing. It didn't take my breath away. It was just OK.

Hmmm. Sydney was definitely creative, but the delays and the jerkiness really damaged the effect for me. The idea was better than the execution.

Athens was not super creative, but it did compliment the architecture of the stadium. It was smooth and simple. There's never been another bowing cauldron, so it was distinctive.

To use Olympic parlance, Sydney went for a high degree of difficulty dive and sort of flubbed it. Athens attempted a lower degree of difficulty dive but executed it perfectly. So it's a question of personal taste.

In my book, nothing tops Barcelona.

Sydney was definitely a jaw-dropper; but Athens' was just functional. Like..oh, they managed to find some place to squeeze that tiny thing. It didn't take my breath away. It was just OK.

Athens' stadium's roof and cauldron were both designed by Santiago Calatrava simultaneously. It wasn't a matter of them squeezing their cauldron in wherever it would fit.

Beijing on the other hand was indeed a case of the stadium being designed long before the cauldron. But I think they did a good job of attempting to incorporate the cauldron into the stadium design with the entire unfurling scroll concept during the lighting.

The cauldron will be the crown on Queen Elizabeth's head -- that's why the stadium was designed like a crown!

When she walks out of the stadium, everybody will be able to see it!

She will be the MAIN Isle of Wonder!! :lol:

There's only one person who would suggest something like this....

I don't suppose that too much can be read into this, but the official London 2012 video game -- which has constructed some of the venues in pretty immaculate detail, including the corresponding branding colours -- features a cauldron tower to the north of the Olympic Stadium:

It looks far too generic to resemble anything Heatherwick would do, surely, and the organisers of course wouldn't allow a video game to give away the surprise, but perhaps it does support the original plans and speculation insofar as it is a tower to the north of and visible from the stadium.

Note, this trailer is from January and says 'Work In Progress', but the same cauldron can be seen pretty prominently and dramatically in the recent videos/trailers too.

The equivilent trailer for Beijing 2008 had the same generic cauldron on a tower outside the stadium too. So I think we can read absoluitely nothing into this.

I believe the venue colours will be accurate though.

Sydney's lighting of the Olympic cauldron had this moment of the cauldron raising up with Cathy Freeman standing in the middle and the water was just great

olympics1cut2.jpg

For me the Athens lighting was perfect as it was simple and solemn but at the same time very emotional because of the dramaturgy. What was great in Athens was the stadiums shape and open ends which allowed perfect view from outside and the inside of the stadium. Also when you look at the cauldron it looks like an arm holding a torch ...

447296882_47ac04d0cd.jpg

ancient-greek-olympics.jpg

I am really excited to see what london will do, but I have to say that I am no big fan of the orbit tower :-/

Archived