London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

The opening segment is usually a re-creation of something quintessential, universal image of the host country. The Australia's outback, Greece's island & sea and China's people power. What do you think screams Britishness that can be created for London's opening segment? A pub perhaps? Or the rain? :)

As a British person (from Liverpool), I agree and hope the opening segment (or even the whole ceremony) will feel quintessentialy British. Britain has a lot of history to show off, but most of it im sure will be quite boring to the rest of the world so I hope we coose what to show wisely.

I'm also a little weary of the whole Shakespeare, 'Isles of wonder' theme. Im not writing it off before ive even seen anything, but I just hope it doesnt try to be too arty without being spectacular at the same time! I understand that London will never be as spectacular as Beijing as they dont have the same budget (and Im glad of that as a tax payer lol), however I would still like to see a spectacular show. Even if this means a few gimicks in between the art!

So in terms of Britishness, I quite like the idea of joking about the rain, (especially with the record rain lately (in a drought!!!!)), and the pubs. Danny Boyle has already hinted there will be rain involved, so I really think this will be a fun opening ceremony.

If we cant offer 'Beijing spectacle' then 'Sydney fun' is just as good in my opinion. We havent had a 'fun' opening cereomony since 2000!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no underground area built in the stadium

As a British person (from Liverpool), I agree and hope the opening segment (or even the whole ceremony) will feel quintessentialy British. Britain has a lot of history to show off, but most of it im sure will be quite boring to the rest of the world so I hope we coose what to show wisely.

I'm also a little weary of the whole Shakespeare, 'Isles of wonder' theme. Im not writing it off before ive even seen anything, but I just hope it doesnt try to be too arty without being spectacular at the same time! I understand that London will never be as spectacular as Beijing as they dont have the same budget (and Im glad of that as a tax payer lol), however I would still like to see a spectacular show. Even if this means a few gimicks in between the art!

So in terms of Britishness, I quite like the idea of joking about the rain, (especially with the record rain lately (in a drought!!!!)), and the pubs. Danny Boyle has already hinted there will be rain involved, so I really think this will be a fun opening ceremony.

If we cant offer 'Beijing spectacle' then 'Sydney fun' is just as good in my opinion. We havent had a 'fun' opening cereomony since 2000!

Believe me - it will be just as spectacular as Beijing

If anything I hope London is not as spectacular as Beijing because that was ceremony in a different country at a different time with its own agenda. London does not have to do grand and majestic, it can be quirky, fun, and modern and still be the best ceremony yet.

Imagine the opening segment starts with a dose of British humour, like a couple of chaps walking in the countryside and suddenly it rains

There is no underground area built in the stadium

Yes, but it is still possible to built a stage in the global field area (2m high from ground floor), as they did in Vancouver 2010 BC Place Stadium !

That sounds plausible. A raised floor stage is also useful in hiding potential cauldron under it and only brought up during the lighting ceremony.

I don't see that happening. The cauldron can't very well stay in the infield throughout the Games. Besides, Adrianme says there is no false floor.

Good on you :)

What great memories for you. Even those up to now. It will pass so quickly too and you will most likely make lifelong friends from the experience. After the Games are over, would it be possible to share here some of your more memorable experiences from the Rehearsals and the actual Opening Ceremony?

I'm sure there would be many on this forum who would find that fascinating to hear from you as someone actually involved in it - after it is all over.

Have a fantastic time !

Regards, Philip

(in Melbourne, Australia - attended Sydney and Athens dress rehearsals and both openings, Melb Com Games both as well))

sure - no worries - it is very exciting - it will be a great ceremony - although of course not everyone likes the same thing! i have to say that the music to my segment is the fecking out there! really cool!

Folks, we've gotten a bit off topic (this is the cauldron topic), but just one more question for Adrian: Do you know only your segment or have you been given insight also into other segments of the ceremony?

Olympian, it's just a little bit of harmless topic drift (only a few posts) and you yourself are helping to prolong it. There's not much else to say about the cauldron right now, so why not take an interest in Adrianme?

So Adrianme, is there any chance you could give us one very cryptic key word that wouldn't mean anything to us before the show, but would help us know which segment you're in once we're watching?

i can't give anything cryptic (but i have with the slight nod to athens) i am in the opening sequence.

i have only seen my segment.

and i haven't seen the cauldron - there you go - we are back on topic now!

Great! Thanks. I just wanted to know which part you were in. Opening sequence is great. Interesting that the music is so unusual for the very opening.....

i can't give anything cryptic (but i have with the slight nod to athens) i am in the opening sequence.

i have only seen my segment.

and i haven't seen the cauldron - there you go - we are back on topic now!

Is that pre-Countdown (which is the filmed Daniel Craig sequence shot in Buckingham Palace?) or the opening Isles of Wonder number after Narrator Rylance has elocuted his Prospero speech? Slight nod to Athens? So another drumming sequence...with another give and take with another drummer out in Stonehenge (instead of Olympia)?

A drumming sequence is more like a nod to Beijing than Athens?

They've had drumming sequences since Seoul actually. Maybe the "comet"? Oh, Isles of Wonder...some little boy on a boat arriving at the Isles of Wonder. So that must be it. Boy/kids arriving in Narnia!!

Is that pre-Countdown (which is the filmed Daniel Craig sequence shot in Buckingham Palace?) or the opening Isles of Wonder number after Narrator Rylance has elocuted his Prospero speech? Slight nod to Athens? So another drumming sequence...with another give and take with another drummer out in Stonehenge (instead of Olympia)?

It's the isles of wonder opening sequence

It's the isles of wonder opening sequence

Oh got it. First it will be some Stonehenge mass globbed together; and then the formations will open up to form the "Isles" of wonder just as the Cycladic head exploded into the major island groupings of Greece. Interesting.

Oh got it. First it will be some Stonehenge mass globbed together; and then the formations will open up to form the "Isles" of wonder just as the Cycladic head exploded into the major island groupings of Greece. Interesting.

I'm impressed by your attention to detail When it comes to OCs.

Archived