London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your idea of the cauldron being on the orbit [though it may be a bit too warm to be that close, judging by the size of the flame(s)]. Still, hoping its on a separate structure.

If they do build one in the coming weeks, I imagine it to borrow its look from the Torch, simple and elegant. Central sturdy core with a light material spiraling up.

If it is indeed on the cauldron, the most intriguing is how are they going to lit the flame and how they transfer it onto the Orbit. If it is allowed to be lit outside the stadium, it will be a great built up of anticipation with the final torch bearer running up the spiral staircase with people lining alongside the stairs to cheer him with camera tracking his move. Imagine the moment when he came out from the stair on top of the orbit.... that aerial shot of him of just him and the cauldron, with London under his feet......

I guess they can pull a Doha-2006-esque lighting with the flame being lit in a cerimonial cauldron inside the Olympic Stadium and being 'electronically transfered' to a tower far far away. Doha used Aspire, London has its Orbit.

I like what's being said there AussieFan, can imagine it vividly! Especially like your idea of the cauldron as a symbol of the bonfire, that's really neat and meaningful. I don't think they have the idea of having the Orbit as a cauldron tower at the very conception of the project. It might be along the way, someone said hey why waste the Orbit and let's put the cauldron on it then LOL

Personally I don't really like the idea of 'transferring' the flame or any blasting/ shooting method from the stadium to the top of the Orbit. More of an old-school fan where the final torch bearer lit the cauldron directly ala Athens and Sydney. As much as I like the idea of the torchbearer running up the spiral staircase building up the anticipation, I wonder how are they going to counteract the atmosphere in the Stadium where everyone will be basically looking at the big screen to see what's going on? Could there be an idea of two cauldron lighting ceremony going simultaneously in the stadium and the orbit? Just that logistically they need to think something really clever so they spectators in the stadium don't feel cheated being left out from the penultimate moment of the whole ceremony. That being said, I can imagine the torchbearer running out from the stadium towards the Orbit, where the public, athletes, children will line up all along the path to cheer him on. It will be great to bring the ceremony outside the stadium.

This is a view from the top of the Orbit and looks directly into the centre of the stadium floor:

This recent photo of the Orbit shows an interesting 'appendage' which begs the question: is it linked with a future Cauldron supporting structure? or does it just end in mid-air like that for artistic reasons?

You have to upload your pics on a website like http://imageshack.us/ and/or paste url from the web

This is an April-12 photo from the top of the Orbit looking directly into the centre of the stadium floor:

- thanks Swisso for the photo uploading tip :)ViewfromOrbit.jpg

This pic is not an april's one... I would say almost last year one... No temporary pavilion on the stadium concourse as there was at the beginning of the month. And the "ceremony" infrastructure on the roof were at their beginning on this pic....

I was inside the stadium at the beginning of the month. Areas without seats were mostly in areas where they will build the press stand, the podium head-on and the big videoscreen ! No room for a cauldron from my pov...

1st April 2010 pics (guaranteed ;-) )!

dscf0937w.jpg

Roof :

dscf0933w.jpg

General view (with screen, podium head-on, mixed zone & press stand)

dscf0930t.jpg

Mixed zone & press stand

dscf0928yc.jpg

Videoscreen & podium head-on

dscf0926l.jpg

Opposite videoscreen & possible stage !

dscf0920l.jpg

I agree with you also that its unlikely for any Cauldron to appear inside the Stadium at this late stage. I also now can't see any Cauldron structure being constructed outside the Stadium at any other location besides the Orbit this close to the Games.

It's not unrealistic that they'll still build a cauldron outside the stadium. Torino started assembling its cauldron tower only six weeks prior to the start of the Games. If they use -- just like in Torino -- pre-assembled parts, the final assembly of the cauldron could be pretty quick. Torino took only about three weeks for that.

All this pushing for the Oribt to be the cauldron seems odd to me. It's not designed for that. If it goes on top of the viewing platform, for example, the whole thing will be obscured from view for people in the Park and in the stadium by the central trunk and the upper loop. I can't see them "attaching" it somehow to the structure in an ad-hoc way to get around this problem as it'd just look bizarre.

Anyway, looky what I've found:

http://www.gamesbids...m/page__st__220

Olympian2004 had it right then. :D

I know this is a little far fetched, but I think it would be awesome to see the cauldron tower coming out of the river...maybe right where those two channel meet just north of the stadium. I think it would sort of fit with the theme of renewing the land from its industrial past, and having it in the river would certainly give enough of a security perimeter.

The only way it would be The Orbit is if a) they had supercoated the viewing gallery with some kind of heat resistant material so people inside don't die and b)didn't design it with a loop of steel where the flame will be at its hottest.

Plus I doubt LOCOG would give Boris the credit of having his sculpture as the main stage of the Park.

Reading that Beijing thread is great--the cauldron ideas for that one are ridiculously hilarious in retrospect. Giant fire-breathing swallows! I now want London to start setting up something of interest that must be for the cauldron just for the wacky speculation that would ensue.

for London, a pre-fabricated cauldron supporting structure could certainly be quickly erected somewhere but where and why would you place it in our around the stadium and not feature it? If it was shorter than the Orbit, how would you visually handle that with the taller Orbit close by?

That's not really a problem in my opinion, bearing in mind that Vancouver's outdoor cauldron was also towered over by many taller buildings in its vicinity.

I think the main point will be that the flame can be seen prominently by at least the majority of spectators in the stadium, that it will be a focal point for the eyes. And I think that would be the case also with a cauldron which is smaller than the Orbit. As long as the cauldron doesn't stand directly besides the Orbit, it won't be overshadowed really.

So you have inside knowledge? How come?

No. I don't have any inside knowledge. I group myself with people who really don't know what LOCOG is planning.

I'm just saying that after reading this thread the guesses are all over the place. There are plenty of pros and cons all the way around and it feels like there are quite a few stabs in the dark. I see arguments for and against the Orbit and I don't know which way it will go.

I think LOCOG has done a great job of keeping us in suspense.

Archived