Favourite Presentation of Olympic Rings at Summer Games Ceremonies

21 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favourite Opening Ceremony presentation of the Olympic Rings at the Summer Games?

• Mexico 1968 ? large group of released coloured balloons
    • Montreal 1976 ? natives and teepees (at closing ceremony)
    • Moscow 1980 ? carried in on a Greco-Roman litter
    • Los Angeles 1984 ? giant white and gold balloons
    • Seoul 1988 ? skydivers
    • Barcelona 1996 ? saradana dancers
    • Atlanta 1996 ? tribes and the 100 dove
    • Sydney 2000 ? Aussie bushmen mounted on horses
    • Athens 2004 ? flaming rings in the water
    • Beijing 2008 ? LED lights lifted into the air

We've discussed and polled on favourite stadium, favourite logo, favourite torch, etc...but don't think we've ever discussed this topic in a poll.

At each Olympic ceremony, the Olympic Rings get some sort of presentation. It is a relatively "new" tradition that didn't take firm hold until the 1980s, around the same time the ceremonies got more lavish, but Mexico and Montreal did have a rings presentation in their ceremonies so I'm counting them in.

So...what's your fave? And what do you think London (or Rio) might do at their Games?

I'd go with Athens.

It was a moment which tied in to the whole ceremony, aswell as working on its own as a key image of that event. Infact, I would say if any image is used to display the opening ceremony of Athens, it is probably the flaming rings.

Fit perfectly with the zembeikiko music too.

Athens didnt wow me as much due to the Salt Lake City opening at the end, with the flaming rings on the ice ignited by the skater, smaller in comparison to Athens but as it had been done 2 years earlier it wasnt a complete surprise to me

Athens didnt wow me as much due to the Salt Lake City opening at the end, with the flaming rings on the ice ignited by the skater, smaller in comparison to Athens but as it had been done 2 years earlier it wasnt a complete surprise to me

Same feeling here. So Beijing wowed me much more. I think it was impressive as well as beautiful and pensive.

But a great moment was also when they created those "crop circles" in shape of the Olympic Rings in Athens' closing ceremony. They did it so quickly, just in time with the frantic last seconds of the Sirtaki melody -- and the big roar of the audience was also impressive.

Archived