Auckland 2017 World Masters Games

Well, I do not know, if this will help New Zealand host another Commonwealth Games, but congratulations to Auckland in winning the bid to host the 2017 World Masters Games.

Link: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10791787

:) Surprisingly it has been met with a total lack of interest...a pfftt whateva. And the fact that it wasn't well known NZ was bidding.

I dunno if it will have an influence on a future CWGs, BUT the announced proposed redevelopment of North Habour Stadium might...It would be too late to have an effect on the Masters though (no doubt be used in it's current form)

Pfff, I can see old people trying to be active any morning of the week around the Mt. haha.

Of course, it's nice seeing a multi sport event being actively pursued by Auckland City Events, and Im sure it will be a great boost to the Ak economy, esentially - it can't be a bad thing.

Still, it doesn't really get me excited. Positive news though.

I ran that piece of news through my look at AroundtheRings. I don't know if this piece was true, but there were as many as about a dozen cities internationally bid for these Games. So, you could say that the news was muted at best.

I did not know anything about this until you mentioned it Guardian. Its good news for the Auckland economy, but would have been better if they had bid for the Commonwealth Games or Youth Olympic Games instead.

Apparently there are double the amount of athletes for these games than the Olympics, where will they all be housed?

I didn't want to diss the news - good on you Auckland! But, well, it's not such a huge deal. I remember when Sydney held the masters a few years ago, I really had no idea until I noticed lots of oldies with uniforms and lanyards on the public transport. It was nice to see that again in Sydney after nothing like that since 2000, but it still hardly made the consciousness of many people.

Nooo! Don't settle for a YOG. Go for the crown, the real deal Summer Olympics! :)

Really? Only when NZ starts to tap into Oil reserves...Watching London's costs blow out is a little off putting!

• Like 1

1. NZ can not afford to host the Olympic Games

2. Auckland does not have the needed ammount of venues for the games, let alone afford them

3. The public Transport system in Auckland is inadequate to host the Olympics

Which is more then enough reason to justify new projects for an Olympics!

Build light rail to the North Shore. Use North Harbour Stadium as the main stadium. Use the area as an Olympic Park and Athlete's Village. Auckland could use a dedicated Exhibition Centre downtown.

Ideally you should host a Commonwealth Games first to show that you can host the big one. Any development from the Commonwealth Games is beneficial for an Olympics (main stadium, aquatics centre and velodrome, being key venues).

Ideally you should host a Commonwealth Games first to show that you can host the big one...

Well any major multi sporting international event on a regular basis would do...a NZ CWGs wont be around till 2034 if the way the future is tracking out here on GB.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

:) 2017 World Masters Games opens tonight, NZ time, in Auckland.

22500 athletes have poured into the city and surrounding regions to take up sports competitions.

This is New Zealand's large hosting of a multi-sport event. It is covertly being watched by the IOC and NZ Olympic Committee to see how a "regional" Olympics might be managed. 

A more relaxed affair...The event has come in on budget of @$100 million, including infrastructure upgrades. The idea of moving events out into the upper North Island region was a great money saving move. It was pointless to build duplicate facilities in Auckland and burdening even more cost onto the struggling city. The main key regional cities helping out are Hamilton, Tauranga, Cambridge/Lake Karapiro, Taupo, and Whangarei. This has also given rise to a future Commonwealth Games hosting in the regional format.