Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

intoronto

Weird Olympic bids

Leipzig, wasn't too weird, the Germans wanted to boost the Eastern German economy. They barely made the cut with a score of 6, but too many European bidders meant they got cut out. If it were Berlin bidding, it would have made it through easily and with the right marketing, might have won.

Leipzig vs Rio for 2012? Mind you, Rio scored in the 5 range, with only the promises of venues being built for the 2007 Pan American Games at the time.

Leipzig scored more than Rio and Istanbul :P If Germany would have bidded with Berlin WOW it would have been the strongest race ever!

^^ Of course Leipzig scored more than Rio and Istanbul.

Rio was only promising venues based on the future (in 2005 it would have been 2 years time) hosting of the 2007 Pan American Games. The IOC probably didn't think that Rio was ready and wanted to wait until the hosting of the 2007 Pan Ams.

Istanbul had/HAS what? A main stadium, a major arena, a few football stadiums? :P

Leipzig had the new replacement for the Zentralstadion, Leipzig Arena and more importantly, the Leipzig Fair, which was essentially their expo centre and would have hosted the bulk of indoor sports. Rio and Istanbul would have had to build their equivalent, whilst Leipzig's main project would have just been the Olympic Stadium. These existing venues along with general infrastructure just barely gave them a 6 mark. Too many European bids eliminated them from Candidacy.

Belgrade 1992 i thought was strange plus imagine (i know a long shot) that they were awarded the games 1 year before 1992 the whole fall of communism

plus the whole yugoslavia situation was risky aswell

im a brisbane guy and love it but 1992 was a weird bid, i think they thought they could do anything after the succesful 1982 commonwealth games + the upcoming 1988 expo.

Also birmingham 1992, do you think that one is weird?

oh wow just did a quick research and belgrade bid for 1996 aswell thats even more weird.

Lausanne 1960, population of like 150000 thousand now such a small city hosting it back then i cant imagine

but lausanne did have the whole IOC headquarters etc to boost there bid, they even got 2nd owning Tokyo which got a 4 and mexico city which got a 6 even though they hosted the next 2 Olympics, don't know why Lausanne they didn't bid for 1964 or 1968

Hahaha Lausanne only bid cuz they are the heart of the IOC, Zurich would sound better if Switzerland wants to try SOG

Belgrade 1992 i thought was strange plus imagine (i know a long shot) that they were awarded the games 1 year before 1992 the whole fall of communism

plus the whole yugoslavia situation was risky aswell

im a brisbane guy and love it but 1992 was a weird bid, i think they thought they could do anything after the succesful 1982 commonwealth games + the upcoming 1988 expo.

Also birmingham 1992, do you think that one is weird?

oh wow just did a quick research and belgrade bid for 1996 aswell thats even more weird.

Lausanne 1960, population of like 150000 thousand now such a small city hosting it back then i cant imagine

but lausanne did have the whole IOC headquarters etc to boost there bid, they even got 2nd owning Tokyo which got a 4 and mexico city which got a 6 even though they hosted the next 2 Olympics, don't know why Lausanne they didn't bid for 1964 or 1968

The bid was in 1985. 1 year after Sarajevo hosted a successful Winter Olympics. Things were high back in the old Yugoslavia, so they thought to try the capital for a Summer Games. Naturally if they won, it might have sparked a new sense of nationalism and might have delayed the conflict for a couple of more years. Or alternatively, got the IOC to force Belgrade to give up hosting rights, due to the unstable situation in the region.

The bid for 1996 would be considered weird, as although tensions may not have been clearly present in 1989/1990, the rapid rise in inflation must have. How could these Yugoslavians and Belgrade people think they could have possibly afforded such a games.

1992 for Brisbane wasn't a weird bid. But there's just conflicting information on the venue plan. Some state that it was to be spread out in Southern Queensland. Whilst I have a picture from an official bid related publication that shows a compact bid. Perhaps things were changed during the bid race?

Brisbane1992Map.jpg

Surely Las Vegas would have to be one of the weirdest. Absolutely no support from their own NOC, but still thought they could send their letter into the IOC and get around that.

Indeed. But without any musings of any plans, I'm not so sure.

I'm rather surprised they didn't go with the USOC first and done it legitimately. They have all the indoor sports sorted with their numerous arenas and large convention center (USA and World's largest) and other indoor venues.

Then you have all hotel accommodation sorted for both spectators and media. Which the Main Press Center is also sorted. As for transport, you have a readily capable airport and monorail that would probably just need extending.

All that would really be needed would be the outdoor venues, Olympic Stadium, Velodrome and Aquatics Center.

This certainly hurts any legitimate real Las Vegas bid for years to come, perhaps even Reno's bid.

The bid was in 1985. 1 year after Sarajevo hosted a successful Winter Olympics. Things were high back in the old Yugoslavia, so they thought to try the capital for a Summer Games. Naturally if they won, it might have sparked a new sense of nationalism and might have delayed the conflict for a couple of more years. Or alternatively, got the IOC to force Belgrade to give up hosting rights, due to the unstable situation in the region.

The bid for 1996 would be considered weird, as although tensions may not have been clearly present in 1989/1990, the rapid rise in inflation must have. How could these Yugoslavians and Belgrade people think they could have possibly afforded such a games.

1992 for Brisbane wasn't a weird bid. But there's just conflicting information on the venue plan. Some state that it was to be spread out in Southern Queensland. Whilst I have a picture from an official bid related publication that shows a compact bid. Perhaps things were changed during the bid race?

Brisbane1992Map.jpg

Oh did some research you are right 1985 was a pretty good time but 1989 was horrible.

Brisbane i meant as in before we have a sydney olympics but i guess at the time it seemed achievable

Well it appears, that the book I saw on eBay was a preliminary bid file. Yet it appears that for some strange reason, they decided to change the venue plan when they submitted their 3 file bid book. However, I've only got the words of fellow forumers at Skyscrapercity and here to follow.

I'm rather surprised they didn't go with the USOC first and done it legitimately. They have all the indoor sports sorted with their numerous arenas and large convention center (USA and World's largest) and other indoor venues.

I think Chicago's McCormick Place still holds the mantle of the world's largest convention center based on comparing sq footage from LV's Convention Center website. :)

This http://en.wikipedia....nvention_Center compared to this? http://en.wikipedia....McCormick_Place

Las Vegas is bigger. It also has the most convention space than any other city in general, so it could easily have hosted all indoor sports, only needing to build perhaps a major arena, but given the wealth of venues, that's just if they wanted a modern arena and could use the Olympics as an excuse.

Las Vegas convention center, when undergoing yet another expansion, can easily host most of the indoor sports, such as:

Boxing

Weightlifting

Judo

Taekwondo

Wrestling

Rhythmic Gymnastics

Table Tennis

Fencing

Badminton

as well as the Main Press Center. Why all those indoor sports mentioned could easily be held in dedicated halls, rather than sharing of venues.

As for the team sports of Basketball (teamed with regular Gymnastics), Handball and Volleyball, they can be held in the numerous arenas found in the city.

Las Vegas would have been a very interesting bid, since all that was really needed was the main stadium and a few specific venues.