Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

intoronto

Weird Olympic bids

LOL I meant the obscure ones that had no hope of making the shortlist.

Anyone remember what Tashkent proposed?

Tashkent wons the Oscar!! Di they submited a bid book?

Havana was weird too!!

I bet back in 2007 a lot of people considered Baku weird too!! But now it seems logic to me... ;)

Havana anyone remember their details? Its interesting to look back,

I've heard their bid-book was submitted on typewritten paper. Or was that San Juan?

I've heard their bid-book was submitted on typewritten paper. Or was that San Juan?

WOW Sometimes you just wonder why on Earth cities bid.

Another weird one Andorra La Vella for 2010 with more then half of the venues in Spain and France. The population of the city is half of what BC place can hold so I wonder why they would even consider bidding.

LOL I meant the obscure ones that had no hope of making the shortlist.

... Again, I would say Toronto... :P

But Toronto made the shortlist both times :lol:

Yeah, Juan Antonio sure had a bizarre sense of humour!

:P

Anyway, there was no shortlist procedure in place for 1996. And for 2008, they had to make it look like there was some competition before Beijing's inevitable coronation.

Yeah, Juan Antonio sure had a bizarre sense of humour!

:P

Anyway, there was no shortlist procedure in place for 1996. And for 2008, they had to make it look like there was some competition before Beijing's inevitable coronation.

Toronto beat Melbourne and Paris both those years !

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=295520

Here is an article on Taskent's bid.

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=295520

TASHKENT, Uzbekistan — There are no world-class sports facilities in this Central Asian desert oasis, no modern airport, no lakes for yachting.

Yet, Tashkent has launched an audacious bid to host the 2000 Summer Olympics as part of a broader campaign to improve life in one of the poorest corners of the former Soviet Union.

"Of course it would be good for sports, we'll build lots of facilities. But we also want the whole world to know about us in Uzbekistan," said Ruziev Sabirjan, vice-president of the Tashkent Olympic Committee.

"The Olympic Games would completely change the republic for the people," said Sabirjan, a silver medalist in fencing at the 1980 Games in Moscow.

The 1980 Games were the first and last Olympics held in the Soviet Union, and they were tarnished by a U.S.-led Western boycott protesting the invasion of Afghanistan.

Sabirjan acknowledged in an interview that Tashkent would have to start from scratch if awarded the Games over seven other contenders: Berlin, Beijing, Sydney, Manchester, Milan, Istanbul and Brasilia. The International Olympic Committee will pick a city in September 1993.

Tashkent would have to build 24 sports facilities, including an Olympic-size stadium, as well as an airport, hotels, press center and even a hospital, Sabirjan said. Six existing swimming pools are Olympic-regulation 50 meters long, but all need work.

All that construction would cost at least $6.5 billion, he said, not including the bill for wining and dining Olympic Committee members, which alone can cost millions of dollars.

Uzbekistan, the former domain of Persians, Turks and the Mongol hordes of Ghengis Khan, is one of the poorest former Soviet republics, but Sabirjan said both the Uzbek and Tashkent governments have promised funds will be available for the Olympics.

They're counting on huge revenues from the sale of cotton, gold and newly discovered oil reserves, he said, plus help from foreign investors.

Sabirjan said all Olympic events would be held in Tashkent, except for soccer which would be spread around Uzbekistan. Rowing is slated for the former Soviet Olympic training facility in Samarkand, Uzbekistan's ancient city of gold-encrusted, blue-mosaic mosques and minarets.

Yachting and sailing events pose a problem for this landlocked desert country, he admitted. The committee is looking at a site on a man-made lake straddling the border with Tajikistan, he said.

Tajikistan has agreed to go along with the plan, he said, although its's current conflict between the former Communist president and opposition Muslims may damage Tashkent's chances.

So could the weather: the sun beats down for five months of the year, raising the temperature as high as 116 in July.

Uzbekistan would be the first Muslim nation to host the Olympics, although Sabirjan was quick to quash any suggestion that clerics or believers would be offended by women swimmers and runners displaying lots of bare skin, or by widespread alcohol sales.

"I don't think we'll have any" opposition from Muslims, he said. "This is a multinational republic . . . I think people will understand it the right way," he said.

Uzbekistan is better known for its colorful bazaars, carpets and vast deserts than for sports. Yet its schoolchildren are avid soccer players and Sabirjan said Uzbek athletes regularly were represented on Soviet Olympic teams.

Uzbekistan has 23 candidates for the Summer Olympics in Barcelona, in boxing, weightlifting, track and field, gymnastics, fencing, rowing, wrestling and equestrian events.

Sabirjan said as many as 15 could be picked for the united team of former Soviet republics. Four have a shot at winning a medal: 1991 world champion weightlifters Sergei Syrtsov and Igor Sadykov; pole vaulter Rodion Gataulin, the silver medal winner at the 1988 Seoul Olympics; and Artur Grigorian, who won the silver medal at the 1991 boxing world championships.

Awww hahahahahaha Havana?? Pfff no i remember that bid book was Havana's, San Juan at least is in a free country, has a good city it was crazy but not as Havana... I'm really intrested if someone remember Havana's plan... I only know Centro Acuatici Marcelo Salado was going to be upgraded... :lol:

Toronto beat Melbourne and Paris both those years !

Everybody beats Melbourne and Paris these days.

Everybody beats Melbourne and Paris these days.

Well Melbourne will something later this year (see signature :lol: ). Melbourne is the sporting capital of the world and honestly has the best sporting infrastructure of any city in my opinion.

Well Melbourne will something later this year (see signature :lol: ). Melbourne is the sporting capital of the world and honestly has the best sporting infrastructure of any city in my opinion.

Yeah, the Melburnians like to think that too.

Havana anyone remember their details? Its interesting to look back,

I have both of their bid books! (the ones that were scanned and put on the ole bid library)

I also have the San Juan ones. They weren't done on typewriter, it must just be the choice of font used.

Havana seemed logical, considering Cuba's rightful justification on hosting based on Olympic merit. But what was weird and pointless about their 2 bids was a poor general plan and more importantly the amount of contradiction found in the bid book (2008) itself. An example would be proposing to expand the Pan American Stadium to 60,000 on paper, when on the venue list it states that it's only going to be 50,000 and then the same in the 2012 book where it's stated to be upgraded to 50,000, but then listed as 35,000 (I assume merely seats added).

Also one should take into account the low capacities and low costs of upgrades for the 2012 bid.

Check out my 2020 Havana bid, far superior. http://lorddavid04.d...llery/#/d2paxrl

... Again, I would say Toronto... :P

Toronto was a sound bid. For 1996, essentially using it's existing strengths in the region, alongside a waterfront Olympic Park and 2008, becoming more compact, with only a handful of events for existing venues in Hamilton, St Catherine's and other regional cities.

No, you're right, that was Havana 2012.

It was posted here at the time.

Doha!

And for the Winter Games, Borjomi and Andorra la Vella.

Looking back a bit, despite my Stockholm obsession I always found Gothenburg to be a weird choice of bid cities, especially in an era when small cities were more acceptable than now.

No, you're right, that was Havana 2012.

It was posted here at the time.

Well I don't know if the paper was mere simple printer paper and not the glossy kind, but it was certainly MS Office produced.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but how about Atlanta? I know the city is home to a lot of corporate and media types, but the USOC did chose a city that wasn't in the Top Five of U.S. cities. It would be like the UK picking Sheffield, like Australia picking Newcastle, Japan picking Fukuoka, Canada picking Winnipeg, or Germany picking Leipzig.

Oh right...Leipzig 2012. Yeah, that was also a weird bid. Especially up against the likes of London, Paris, Madrid, New York, Moscow and Rio.

And the Helsinki 2006 and Quebec City 2002 winter bids were also a tiny bit weird because they almost seemed as if they were trying to get away without having a suitable mountain.

What about Seville, Spain bidding just five years after Barcelona '92?

It was bidding with fellow rejects Lille and San Juan for the 2004 Games. My guess is that Atlanta gave hope to many of those off-the-wall cities to throw together a bid.