2024 Summer Olympic Applicants

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

---BREAKING NEWS---

A few moments ago following a special meeting of the Scottish Parliament, ministers have overwhelmingly voted in favour of pledging full financial support to Edinburgh's Olympic Bid.

In a statement outside Holyrood, bid CEO Scotguy said, "It is with great pleasure that i welcome the ministers agreement to pledge full support. I can therefore confirm that Edinburgh is now an official Applicant City for the Olympic and Paralympic Games. We look forward to bringing the world to Edinburgh".

k.jpg

i think brisbanes biggest fail with 1992 was its wide venue plan in toowoomba gold coast and it was even going to be called the brisbane-gold coast olympic bid but IOC didnt like conjoined bids, doing my research on it, heres a nice link http://www.skyscrape...ad.php?t=131431

if sydney lost 2000 melbourne wouldve bid for 2004 weird huh!

i think brisbane has potential for future not in the 20's though maybe the 30's but i dont think australia could get it in the 20's 2020 europe 24 usa or africa 28 the loser of 28 32 maybe south asia, bangkok or india or something else and maybe us we shall see

Im pretty sure Brisvegas would be capable of hosting, however..seriously...no offence but brisvegas is just the opposite..i big country town..which really hasnt got much to offer..not even a beach...so i dont see it looking like an exciting or an interesting place for an olympics...melbourne is a world city with world class sporting events...sydney has a harbour...brisbane...ummmmm...well..weather??...so i really think melbourne would have to be the next oz olympic city

Brisbane isn't bidding, so enough. Now since we're halfway before the deadline of applications, I'd like to discuss about the content of the bid books.

- Now, it should ideally be a similar number of pages for the old format, or new format, depending on what you're doing, in English (French is unnecessary).

- Answer all questions from the Candidate Acceptance report (old and new), as truthfully as possible (to the best of your ability).

- Maps should be accurate as possible, not necessarily fully professional, but similar to the ones seen in my bid books, if you don't want to go as detailed as some of the real ones.

- Information in charts should be as accurate as possible, however there will be an allowance for some "bullshitting" in the form of whatever is proposed. However, this "information" should Ideally be as realistic as possible. No point offering a 200,000 seater Olympic Stadium just for the wow factor and to break records. Nor should you propose to build 100,000 hotel rooms when you clearly can't do such a task in 7 years.

- Anything proposed or under construction that will be completed in 2016 should be included if it can be used for sports/accommodation etc.

- Try and complete all charts, there will be a tolerance of "bullshitting" for the climate charts. They're the hardest IMO and you can use figures from Wikipedia, modified to fill out the chart. Things like humidity and wind direction etc, should ideally be researched, but if you can't find relevant information or are pressed for time, feel free to put in what reasonable figures you see fit.

- When researching information, particularly the accommodation figures, try going to your city/nation's statistics website for some info, then if you can't find relevant 1 to 5 star (number of) and rooms (number of), then try the hard way of going to an accommodation site like www.tripadvisor.com and looking there. As for accommodation figures, only actual hotel rooms and numbers will be considered during the candidate acceptance (essentially, you can propose as much alternative accommodation as you see fit, but they are most likely not being considered).

- Statistics websites are your friend when it comes to filling out key chart information.

- To reiterate, be as truthful as possible, though it's understood that you can't possibly get access to all information possible. Oh and this is not just information, be consistent with bid book design and norms. Gather all your information first before attempting to produce the final product in either single page or single page with 2 column format. Be creative! Not sterile as some official bid books have been. :)

Tunisia’s swimming champion Oussama Mellouli was named Sport Ambassador of the TUNIS 2024 Bid

oussamamellouli.jpg

2009 World Championships – 1 gold medal (1500 m freestyle) and 2 silver medals (400 m freestyle, 800 m freestyle)

2008 Olympic Games – gold medal (1500 m freestyle)

Ok so we have:

DamC, USAandItalia, intoronto1125 and barrack - Melbourne, Australia

Scotguy - Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Emre - Paris, France (possibly withdrawn, aught to contact him)

Deawebo, Wingspread and tikus_kecil - Berlin, Germany

Stark - Tel Aviv, Israel

Demetrius - Tunis, Tunisia

Afiqnadzir and aismanggo - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Soaring - Chicago (possibly withdrawn, aught to contact him)

and me Pyongyang, Democratic People's Republic of Korea

Please correct me of any mistakes, or team changes.

It begins as of now (I'm sure you've done some work but whatever), you have until June 1st, 12 midnight AEST time, a Friday, my time to post your applications somewhere on the internet. An evaluation committee is yet to be formed, but I'll see if some peeps or 1 person wants to do it.

You are to follow this format: http://www.olympic.o...report_1213.pdf

Answering questions and filling out charts to the best of your ability.

If you wish, you may do the current more extensive format: http://www.olympic.o...ns/2020_CAP.pdf

I myself will be attempting to do this format, otherwise, I'll probably end up doing the old one. Perhaps we can come to a compromise where the maps and charts reflect the new format, but the questions and information remains the old format.

No additional "points" or "awards" will be given to those that try the more challenging format (i.e more researching).

Ok good luck to everyone, have fun and remember 2 months is more then enough, especially if your in a team, just work a bit on it every now and then and it can be done. Remember, my Quebec 2016 and Vienna 2020 were done on my own, in the short time frame of the fantasy bids back then, the Havana 2020 one was done with a bit of cheating from their past bids, 2008 and 2012.

IT CAN BE DONE (especially the old format)

^^ It would probably be much like the Quebec 2002 bid. Quebec proposed that even if it were to succeed in separation from Canada, any preexisting funding agreements with Federal, Provincial and City money would still be used for the Olympics and not be returned. After all, the Canadian dollar would have probably remained.

So I'd expect any money secured by Scotland from British government funding, prior to independence will still be used, even if it would anger most British.

Autumn 2014, probably sometime in October, some are saying on the 700th Anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn, when King Robert the Bruce defeated the English army and set in motion the beginning of Scottish Independence then.

Some are hoping that the first elections would be in 2016. If their is a no vote then the issue would be settled for a generation, if a yes vote i fear that Westminster would drag its heels to starting procedures

We welcome your support Deawebo and we hope that you will support the Edinburgh 2024 Bid. Our aim is to prove that a small, friendly and proud nation can take our 'Power from within', to stage a memorable and successful games :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all...

I am a geography teacher in the USA, and I am trying to put together a project for my class that is very similar to your fantasy bidding game. I happened to stumble across you folks while trying to find information for venue requirements. I saw that at one time there was a file library called "bidlibrary.com" that might have held the information that I'm looking for. But it appears to be down. Would any of you be able to direct me to information about what kinds of venues are required for both the summer and winter games? Specifically, I'm looking for information about seating capacities, size of venue (for the different sports) or any other special requirements. For example, for the winter games, required vertical drop for mountain events?

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. And I think this is one of the cooler things I've ever stumbled across on the internet.

Good evening all...

I am a geography teacher in the USA, and I am trying to put together a project for my class that is very similar to your fantasy bidding game. I happened to stumble across you folks while trying to find information for venue requirements. I saw that at one time there was a file library called "bidlibrary.com" that might have held the information that I'm looking for. But it appears to be down. Would any of you be able to direct me to information about what kinds of venues are required for both the summer and winter games? Specifically, I'm looking for information about seating capacities, size of venue (for the different sports) or any other special requirements. For example, for the winter games, required vertical drop for mountain events?

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. And I think this is one of the cooler things I've ever stumbled across on the internet.

Here's one we've had posted here in the past for the summer games - I'm not sure if it's still exactly current, but it would sure be close with only a few minor tweaks. I'm not sure about an equivalent guide for the winter games - but someone here should be able to help.

Good luck with the class project - you can always post the better ones up here for us to critique!

venue13vl_cons.jpg

Archived