2024 Summer Olympic Applicants

Good evening all...

I am a geography teacher in the USA, and I am trying to put together a project for my class that is very similar to your fantasy bidding game. I happened to stumble across you folks while trying to find information for venue requirements. I saw that at one time there was a file library called "bidlibrary.com" that might have held the information that I'm looking for. But it appears to be down. Would any of you be able to direct me to information about what kinds of venues are required for both the summer and winter games? Specifically, I'm looking for information about seating capacities, size of venue (for the different sports) or any other special requirements. For example, for the winter games, required vertical drop for mountain events?

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. And I think this is one of the cooler things I've ever stumbled across on the internet.

Here is the winter requirements on page 26.

Cool that you like Olympic sports and Geography my two interests as well! Currently majoring in geography.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good evening all...

I am a geography teacher in the USA, and I am trying to put together a project for my class that is very similar to your fantasy bidding game. I happened to stumble across you folks while trying to find information for venue requirements. I saw that at one time there was a file library called "bidlibrary.com" that might have held the information that I'm looking for. But it appears to be down. Would any of you be able to direct me to information about what kinds of venues are required for both the summer and winter games? Specifically, I'm looking for information about seating capacities, size of venue (for the different sports) or any other special requirements. For example, for the winter games, required vertical drop for mountain events?

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. And I think this is one of the cooler things I've ever stumbled across on the internet.

Vertical drop for Men's Downhill is 800 meters minimum. Women's is around the 700 mark for downhill events. Lesser events like the Slalom can take place at verticals of 600. Freestyle skiing would be around 500 meters and so forth.

Thank you all for your help! This is a great start for me. Any other technical details, or better, a link to the technical manuals referenced in the Acceptance Procedure document would be a great help, if anyone knows.

Good luck with the class project - you can always post the better ones up here for us to critique!

I will! Although, I'll be simplifying the acceptance procedures somewhat. My freshman will probably refuse to aren't going to be able to handle the financial piece, and it's not really relevant to the geography class, strictly speaking.

Thanks again, and good luck to all the 2024 bids! I look forward to following along with your process.

Thank you all for your help! This is a great start for me. Any other technical details, or better, a link to the technical manuals referenced in the Acceptance Procedure document would be a great help, if anyone knows.

I will! Although, I'll be simplifying the acceptance procedures somewhat. My freshman will probably refuse to aren't going to be able to handle the financial piece, and it's not really relevant to the geography class, strictly speaking.

Thanks again, and good luck to all the 2024 bids! I look forward to following along with your process.

May I suggest you look at these few bid books (from my downloaded collection and the ones I have done) as guides? They're not Winter Olympics applicant books (with the exception of Salzburg 2014), but Summer Olympics ones.

http://www.gamesbids...post__p__337015

If you're following the old applicant book format (which is far easier than the one they've started using for the 2020 bid race), then Finance is very, very easy. Just propose how much will be spent as the Organizing budget, and non Organizing Committee budget. Then perhaps a few false forecasts on the amount of revenue you expect and from where. If you're doing the venue charts, then there will be approximate (i.e false) costs put in there too.

Rats. My laptop got corrupted and I had to reinstall windows 7 Ultimate. The work I have done so far (only the venue chart and some of the hotel chart) has been lost. Will have to start over again. I might just end up doing the old applicant bid book format.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel along with former President Bill Clinton unveiled the Chicago 2024 bid logo today.

emanuel-and-bill.jpg?w=600

Drum roll please....

chicago-2024-logo3.jpg

The logo represents the well known Chicago star, and the diversity of the city.

rahmemanuelofficiallyannouncesbidbecomenrml0hts1jul.jpg

Mayor Rahm Emanuel with Chicago flag featuring the "Chicago Star" in the background

Mayor Emanuel stated during the ceremony

"Today we unveil our bid logo, but we look forward to the unveiling of our bold vision to host the 2024 Games in this great city."

There have been reports of epileptic fits and vertigo across the greater Chicago area in response to the unveiling of the city's bid logo. Similar incidents occurred after the unveiling of the London 2012 Olympic logo. Is this a new trend in Olympic graphic design?

Today Chicago 2024 released their slogan "Dream Big" at Bell Elementary School on Chicago's south side.

chicago-2024-logo-w-tag.jpg

The slogan pays homage to the late Chicago planner, Daniel Burnham, who famously said “Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood.... Make big plans... aim high in hope and work.”

Mayor Rahm Emanuel and President Barack Obama were in attendance.

315713610.jpg

Unlike other cities, the team here at Edinburgh 2024 don't think politicians and celebrities should be taking the limelight with our bid launches.

Today our second wee video has been launched by our athletes and the friendly people of Edinburgh :)

We hope you enjoy and accept our warm welcome to you all to meet in our historic and friendly city

I like the logo and the slogan.

With no South African in the bid race, I'll be supporting Chicago for 2024.

Chicago 2024 thanks you for your support! We seek to leave an outstanding legacy not only for the city of Chicago, but athletes from around the world through our "World Athlete Initiative" that connects athletes to sports and educational scholarship opportunities in the U.S.

Archived