South Africa 2022

Potentially a major competitor for the 2022 Commonwealth Games will be South Africa, bidding to host the first Commonwealth Games in Africa and as a precursor for a Summer Olympic Games bid, potentially in 2024 but I believe more likely in 2028 as they try to avoid the potential 'big beasts' from North America and Paris.

In terms of location, I think there are likely to be two potential bidders

Johannesburg

Hosts of the 1998 IAAF World Cup, and the 1999 All Africa Games (somewhat chaotically) as well as the 2010 World Cup Finals. They have an athletics stadium in place which has a capacity of 37,500 as well as numerous football and rugby stadia, such as Coca-Cola Park (62,000), Soccer City (94,000), and Orlando Stadium (40,000) as well as the Wanderers Cricket Ground (25,000).

There are also smaller stadia such as the Rand (25,000) which might be used for events such as Hockey, whilst there is also a larger indoor arena (18,000)

Two disadvantages of Jo'burg however are:

1. Height - the city is about 1,750m above SL

2. Water - any water based events could be problematic as Jo'burg is the largest city in the world NOT on a river, lake or coastline. There are however bodies of water/reservoirs like Vaaldam which are not too distant

Durban

Because Cape Town has no athletics stadium as such, South Africa's 3rd city Durban could be a contender. The Moses Mabida stadium would be the centre piece with a current capacity of 54,000 having been slightly reduced from 2010. All that needs be done is to put down a track. Within the Kings Park Sporting District is also the ABSA stadium (55,000) as well as an indoor arena (10,000) and smaller venues such as Chatsworth (22,000 with an athletics track) and the Princess Magogo Stadium at 12,000

Disadvantages of Durban however are:

1. Its size - it is a very spread out city with some of the other venues necessary not being as concentrated

2. Its infrastructure which is not as developed as Johannesburg and certainly not when considering the international connections available.

Whichever city was chosen would undoubtedly have to be one of the leading favourites to host the games.

Durban has more potential to became a frontrunner in whatever race they participate... A great city near to the sea... Good sopt to se Africa's first olympics!! But if Durban hosts 2022 CWG then 2024 will be really difficult economically talking, so i agree that 2028 or 2032 might be more reallistic...

Durban has more potential to became a frontrunner in whatever race they participate... A great city near to the sea... Good sopt to se Africa's first olympics!! But if Durban hosts 2022 CWG then 2024 will be really difficult economically talking, so i agree that 2028 or 2032 might be more reallistic...

I think the problem that Durban has is that it is usally either the biggest or second biggest city in the country which are awarded the games, the exception being the USA.

Melbourne, Munich, Barcelona were all the clear 2nd city in their country at the time of their successful bids. Durban is definitely the third city in South Africa after Johannesburg and Durban.

Cape Town bid in 2004, but there has not been another bid since, so I think if Durban bid for 2004, it might be to get their foot in the door for an all out attempt for 2028

The water wouldn't be an issue as the Commonwealth Games rarely have water based events - I think Glasgow is having rowing, but that's the first one for a couple of decades.

If Canada were to bid Canada v SA would be very interesting indeed as the CGF need to go to both for very different reasons.

The water wouldn't be an issue as the Commonwealth Games rarely have water based events - I think Glasgow is having rowing, but that's the first one for a couple of decades.

If Canada were to bid Canada v SA would be very interesting indeed as the CGF need to go to both for very different reasons.

Glasgow does not have rowing on the program. I think SA would pull it off saving Canada for 2030. However if 2030 isn`t an issue for Canada I would fully expect whoever bids to win.

Archived