Again the Netherlands? They had the Euro just in 2000. If England doesn't bid because of 1996 and Germany doesn't bid because of 1988, why should the Dutch bid?

England and Germany chose not to bid because they didn't want to. Germany in fact said they felt it was someone else's turn due to the large number of international events they've hosted.

Will the UK govt be prepared to pay for the large investment needed for Stadia for a Celtic nations bid?

Considering the chaos of Poland-Ukraine in building their infrastructure will UEFA want to go to the even riskier Azerbaijan-Georgia?

If Istanbul win 2020, Turkey are no go.

The Netherlands have simply sounded the most positive of the potential extra bidders.

Its not a case of simply can, its a case of wanting to as well. I mean I'd love Spain to host the games as they've never held a proper Euros and last held a football tournament in 1982, but if they don't want to, they cannot be forced.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like another example of an event setting hosting standards that could leave them with very few viable hosts. I think, as with the Olympics (especially Winter) and Commonwealth Games they need to

Turkey withdrew. They will concentrate on EURO 2024 bid. IMO that is a wise desicion after being robbed in 2016 and later deceived in 2020. Turkey deserves the whole EURO tournament not a part of it.

I agree with Blatter too, but I think he's only trying to make FIFA and himself look better by pooh-hooing UEFA. Who is he to talk? As if Qatar is such a brilliant idea!

A celtic bid has no chance unless England is in the mix imo.

I wonder why England don't go after this, they won't get the world cup any time soon unless there is major changes in the FiFA's voting procedure (and voters).

If they want to host a football tournament this is by far their best chance!

Anyway anyone from Spain, Germany, England, Italy, Netherlands & probably Portugal would be an extreme contender if they bid against the Georgia-Azerbaijan & Celtic nations combo at the moment.

This is strange, i know there is a crisis going on but so many countries who wanted this so badly & bid a couple of times are now hiding when it's probably one of the easiest race to win ever (should of course Turkey be out of contention).

But seriously if the UK's FAs in such bad terms that a Wales-England-Scotland bid isn't even a small possibility?

A celtic bid has no chance unless England is in the mix imo.

I wonder why England don't go after this, they won't get the world cup any time soon unless there is major changes in the FiFA's voting procedure (and voters).

If they want to host a football tournament this is by far their best chance!

Anyway anyone from Spain, Germany, England, Italy, Netherlands & probably Portugal would be an extreme contender if they bid against the Georgia-Azerbaijan & Celtic nations combo at the moment.

This is strange, i know there is a crisis going on but so many countries who wanted this so badly & bid a couple of times are now hiding when it's probably one of the easiest race to win ever (should of course Turkey be out of contention).

But seriously if the UK's FAs in such bad terms that a Wales-England-Scotland bid isn't even a small possibility?

As England could host the Euro's on their own, there is no incentive on them to share with anyone else.

Really I'd like Spain as they've never hosted the real competition but whilst Madrid 2020 is in play they won't

Now Italy is mirred in a corruption scandal they won't.

Of the recent games - it was

1988 Germany

1992 Sweden

1996 England

2000 Netherlands-Belgium

I'd like to see a Sweden-Denmark-Norway bid. A few years ago they tried to bid with these 3 plus Finland and the Swedes have mused about bids with both Norway and Sweden.

A 3 country Scandinavian bid would look like this.

For Euro 2012 - there were 2 hosts and 51 teams looking to qualify = this would be 3 qualified teams and 50 teams qualifying for 21 places so the 10 groups, with the Top2 qualifying, and then the team with the best record as 3rd placed finisher, be it points or on goal difference.

The 6 groups in the final could then be arranged along these lines:

Norway: Oslo, Trondheim, Bergen or Stavanger

Denmark: Copenhagen, Arhus, Odense or Aalborg

Sweden: Solna, Gothenberg, Malmo or Stockholm.

Opening Games: Gothenburg

Semi-Finals: Copenhagen and Oslo

Final: Solna

unless someone builds a bigger capacity than the Solna stadium

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond/2012/06/david_bond_1.html

So apparently some people at the England FA want a 2020 bid for england!

I'm stunned you hear this only now! England is clearly unhappy with FIFA & they want to organize football events, this is good news for me!

And as i suggested before i hope they will consider adding a UK country (althought Brisith members reported this to be unlikely) Maybe Wales or Scotland, that would be so nice even if it won't happen Lol

England should look for a World Cup again, or a Women's WC... I feel that if UEFA wants a safe choice they will choose a football powerhouse, Germany or Spain... A riskier choice will be the celtic bid since the countries do not hve a frontier!! And the Georgian-Azeri bid is intresting, even though its a longshot.

What about Croatia/Hungary that will be great! Plus Croatia's team is quite strong...

• 3 weeks later...

Uefa president Michel Platini reveals plans to stage Euro 2020 in "12 or 13 countries"

Uefa president Michel Platini has revealed the concept of one or two countries staging major tournaments may be abandoned for Euro 2020.

Turkey had been favourites to host the event but their bid has hit difficulties due to a desire to host the Olympic Games in Istanbul in the same year.

And Platini has confirmed a radical alternative is now being considered.

''The Euros in 2020 could be held all over Europe,'' said Platini.

''It could be either one country and 12 stadiums or one stadium in 12 or 13 cities.''

Platini confirmed a final decision would be taken in January or February next year.

"This matter will be discussed very seriously," he added.

Platini continued: "We will have a great debate about 2020 and discuss the pros and cons.

"Then we will make a decision. I think it is a great idea."

http://www.telegraph...-countries.html

Wow, that's out of the blue.

Think though. Tokyo 2020 wins the Olympics then UEFA pulls the rug from under Turkey's feet and awards Euro 2020 to......erm, Europe!

Imagine Emre's face! (sorry)

Is Platini on a delirium?. According to his words, he seems to.

I don't like at all the idea of hosting the Euro in 12 or 13 countries. Imagine the chaos that will happen. This is the UEFA Euro, not the Champions League.

Platini's suggestion is nonsense.

The point is that UEFA could ask either Germany or England to host the games and both could do so at no real expense with existing stadium

England

Wembley, Arsenal, Newcastle, Sunderland, Old Trafford, Elland Road, Hillsborough, Anfield, Villa Park, as well as several clubs talking of expanding their grounds.

Germany

all 12 of their World Cup stadiums plus Dusseldorf and Monchengladbach could be used

.... there would be zero need to develop new stadia

In fact Germany is so low risk, you could argue that there is absolutely no risk at all, 14 stadiums all offering in excess of 35,000 seats.

Platini's suggestion is nonsense.

The point is that UEFA could ask either Germany or England to host the games and both could do so at no real expense with existing stadium

England

Wembley, Arsenal, Newcastle, Sunderland, Old Trafford, Elland Road, Hillsborough, Anfield, Villa Park, as well as several clubs talking of expanding their grounds.

Germany

all 12 of their World Cup stadiums plus Dusseldorf and Monchengladbach could be used

.... there would be zero need to develop new stadia

In fact Germany is so low risk, you could argue that there is absolutely no risk at all, 14 stadiums all offering in excess of 35,000 seats.

Platini/FIFA are just trying to find new twists to awarding their plums. 1st the cohosting between Japan & Korea (which produced mixed results); then the double-awarding debacle of 2 years ago (just to steal a march on the IOC); now since the Euro 2020 ranks are thin, doing a spread-out tournament. They're just throwing these axes in the air to get some attention. Maybe one will land on his head. :lol:

• Like 1

It sounds to me like they want to make it clear that their hands aren't tied. They probably don't want anybody thinking they're between a rock and a hard place (especially if Istanbul wins the Olympics). It seems like its more about power and image than anything else.

Even though Rome pulled out of the 2020 Summer Olympics, Italy could actually host Euro2020 at little cost and difficulty using existing stadiums

Rome - Stadio Olimpico - 72,700 seats

Milan - San Siro - 80,074 seats

Naples - Stadio Sao Paolo - 60,240 seats

Bari - Stadio San Nicola - 58,248 seats

Florence - Stadio Artemio Franchi - 47,282 seats

Palermo - Stadio Renzo Barbera - 37,619 seats

Verona - Stadio Marc'Antonio Bentegodi - 39,211 seats

Turin - Juventus Arena - 41,000 seats

Gerona - Stadio Luigi Ferraris - 36,536 seats

Udine (41,652 seats after renovations) and Bologna (38,279 seats) could also be used.

Whilst there is currently a corruption scandal going on, this relates to events back in 2006 I believe as more and more is being discovered but nothing new.

Italy last held the Euros back in 1980, so it will be 40years.

Actually no, their two previous bids were both listed as incredibly risky with a need for much greater improvement in stadium infrastructure. They didn't even make the final vote.

Most capable currently:

1. Germany

2. France

3. England

4. Spain

5. Russia after 2018.

Platinni's idea is the worst ever!!! It will kill the atmosphere that a single host or co-host have, Poland-Ukraine was the best Euro to my taste, why change this format?

It'll end up being Germany or Spain the 2020 host... And then in 2024 will be one again 2 host nations....

Michael Platini is beginning to make Sebb Blatter look sane! It's their own fault though - with 16 teams three of the last four tournaments have been co-hosted so really it is no surprise that increasing the number of teams to 24 has limited the number of potential bidders - even co-hosting isn't an option for many with the demands of the extra 20 games, while the bigger nations have their eyes on the World Cup.

Michael Platini is beginning to make Sebb Blatter look sane! It's their own fault though - with 16 teams three of the last four tournaments have been co-hosted so really it is no surprise that increasing the number of teams to 24 has limited the number of potential bidders - even co-hosting isn't an option for many with the demands of the extra 20 games, while the bigger nations have their eyes on the World Cup.
what?? aren't euro is a large event??? i don't understand why.....

I don't think that an extra twenty games in that big of an issue.

The World Cup has 3 to 4 matches a day. Given 3 matches/day, the first two rounds of matches would be 8 days. 3 days for the final round of group matches, rest day round of 16 would be 4 days, rest day quarterfinals would be 4 days, rest, semifinals over two days, two rest days and then the final. 27 days in total.

At any one time, no more then 4 stadiums would be in use in a day. You still only really need 8 stadiums. Most groupings of nations with common cnnections would be able to host. Probably the only countries that couldn't host are the micronations, Albania, Moldova and Macedonia.

Actually no, their two previous bids were both listed as incredibly risky with a need for much greater improvement in stadium infrastructure. They didn't even make the final vote.

Most capable currently:

1. Germany

2. France

3. England

4. Spain

5. Russia after 2018.

The Italian bids were not incredibly risky ... they were regarded as having more risk than the other bids but a lot of this concern was around 'hospitality issues' and 'fan areas', not the actual stadia themselves.

I don't think that an extra twenty games in that big of an issue.

The World Cup has 3 to 4 matches a day. Given 3 matches/day, the first two rounds of matches would be 8 days. 3 days for the final round of group matches, rest day round of 16 would be 4 days, rest day quarterfinals would be 4 days, rest, semifinals over two days, two rest days and then the final. 27 days in total.

At any one time, no more then 4 stadiums would be in use in a day. You still only really need 8 stadiums. Most groupings of nations with common cnnections would be able to host. Probably the only countries that couldn't host are the micronations, Albania, Moldova and Macedonia.

The actual published requirements are these

A minimum 9 stadiums with 3 reserve locations in case of delays or an inability to meet requirements

Two stadia of 50,000 seats +

Three stadia of 40,000 seats +

Four stadia of 30,000 seats +

Because UEFA restricts the sale of tickets for certain seats, in reality the capacities listed need to be approximately 10% bigger because 10% of the seats on a listed seating capacity are not made available for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that Eastern Europe was an adventure and a really risky one, but Poland-Ukraine gave of the best Euro ever!! So... since France is hosting 2016, and Turkey is likelly to get the 2020 SOG :rolleyes: I will like to see Croatia-Hungary or even Serbia-Croatia insted of a tipcal west country, it'll be an awesome experience perhaps, though riskier too :P